Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Bank Systems are down *READ* Mod post #291

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭warlikedave

chasm wrote: »
    That guy has some nerve! It shouldn't be reduced it should be lost altogether.

Their bonuses would have covered the wages of IT based in the UK which were shipped off to India....tis shocking how unbalanced the priority of wealth/funds and resultant policy is when it comes to the higher echelons of banking

• Registered Users Posts: 12,707 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

OK so now we know that one Indian caused the problem, but many Indians compounded the error by not knowing what to do to fix it up. The bank got rid of the business expertise, and entrusted it all to IT experts. Not the same thing. You need banking expertise as well as technical expertise.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2 TheGiantOnion

So basically

The computer says naw

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭warlikedave

So basically

The computer says naw

lol :D its saying nothing but no still after two weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

I'm no fan of Sinn Fein, but today in the Dail, TD Pearse Doherty called on the Finance Minister, the regulator and UB management to appear before the Finance Committee.
    Speaking during a topical issues debate in the Dáil today on the IT crash at Ulster Bank, Sinn Féin finance spokesperson Pearse Doherty said that “bank management, the regulator and the government still have questions to answer regarding the on-going debacle at Ulster Bank.”
    Deputy Doherty said:
    “The debacle at Ulster Bank continues. This morning managing director of branch banking at Ulster Bank, Jim Ryan admitted that despite earlier assurances, customers will continue to experience disruption into next week.
    “More than 150,000 people have been affected. It is causing enormous distress to individuals, families and businesses.
    “We are almost a week into this debacle and still key questions remain unanswered. How did a relatively minor software upgrade lead to such widespread disruption of the banks payments system? Where was the bank’s disaster-recovery safety-net?
    “Crucially the public want to know could this kind of problem occur at any of the other banks operating in the state?
    “The Central Bank, the Financial Regulator and the government need to address these questions publically. Given the seriousness of the issues I strongly believe that the Minister and the regulator as well as Ulster Bank management need to appear before the Finance Committee to answer these questions.”

http://www.sinnfein.ie/contents/23688

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Cuauhtemoc

This may or may not help some people.
    Our company banks with Ulsterbank and after speaking to them they said any same day transfer requests would go through immediately.
    Our payroll did this and the funds were in my account pretty much straight away.
    Visa debit card accepted at atms/shops etc.
    We're a small company so maybe easier for us than big companies but this may be of use to some people.
    Also apparently won't be any extra charges for using this facility.
    Lot of posts here so may have missed someone posting this already.
    Also haven't heard it mentioned on the airwaves or elsewhere.

C.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I'm no fan of Sinn Fein, but today in the Dail, TD Pearse Doherty called on the Finance Minister, the regulator and UB management to appear before the Finance Committee.

The same Pearse Doherty, and SF member, who paid part time members through illegal methods?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,381 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

telegraph wrote:
    could have been caused by just one junior technician in India, it was suggested last night
    telegraph wrote:
    A source, who worked for RBS for “several years”, told the Register an “inexperienced operative” had made an error while performing the relatively routine task of backing out of an upgrade.
    Ally Dick wrote: »
    OK so now we know that one Indian caused the problem

Ah now, hold on a second. A former RBS employee (probably made redundant) talks to a newspaper which then quotes him that it might have happened that way

Not quite proof of what happened :)

I appreciate your posts here BTW and I appreciate everybody's elses posts and links to newspaper articles

I'm an affected UB customer myself, who only switched over last month after 17 years with AIB

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭frankled

yeh it's back still out of date BEEN ON TO THEM ABOUT OVERDRAFT They said I'll have to go to my branch and ask in person.I live 80 miles from the branch I opened acc in. what year is this my branch all this my branch nonsense whould make you think it's 1950 besides what if I was not in Ireland or could not travel in person no other bank does this

I know, I agree, tis an absolute joke, although I was only referring to Anytime Banking to inform the others that were discussing it.

Anyway, it's a disaster you wouldn't believe if it was suggested beforehand. I'm lucky I'm not out of pocket but it has still been an inconvenience to me and I can only imagine what it's putting some people through- terrible stuff. Inconceivable.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 teddy6

Wages are due today and nothing is showing up on Internet banking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

Morning all. Just confirming what most of us are expecting. No wages or family income supplement again today. So that's last week's & this week's payments in thin air.

Tuesday is the next milestone, when child benefit is due to be paid in.

We are now in a position where we cannot even take the slightest risk that next week's wages won't be credited on time & so we will have to look into opening another account elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

still the same , only showing transactions to 20th of june, really starting to annoy me now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭Lambsbread

Same for me, nothing since 20th June.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Lambsbread wrote: »
    Same for me, nothing since 20th June.

I have some transactions on my account from later date, but no sign of my salary!!!
    Since it was my first pay from employer i was hoping it is some mistake with payroll, but it seems they are still struggling to process transactions. Friend of mine still waiting for last week pay...
    Rent due, bills due, i even booked a car in a garage for tomorrow...
    It is going to be lovely weekend...

Cuauhtemoc wrote: »
    This may or may not help some people.
    Our company banks with Ulsterbank and after speaking to them they said any same day transfer requests would go through immediately.
    Our payroll did this and the funds were in my account pretty much straight away.
    Visa debit card accepted at atms/shops etc.
    We're a small company so maybe easier for us than big companies but this may be of use to some people.
    Also apparently won't be any extra charges for using this facility.
    Lot of posts here so may have missed someone posting this already.
    Also haven't heard it mentioned on the airwaves or elsewhere.

C.

Don't think employers use same day transfers - and after reading more people didn't get paid again, it didn't help.
    Thanks anyway, but it would have to be agreed with payroll in advance, but as none of us expected the problem to last for that long, it is to late now.
    Fair play to your employer tough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

Eoineo wrote: »
    Morning all. Just confirming what most of us are expecting. No wages or family income supplement again today. So that's last week's & this week's payments in thin air.

Tuesday is the next milestone, when child benefit is due to be paid in.

We are now in a position where we cannot even take the slightest risk that next week's wages won't be credited on time & so we will have to look into opening another account elsewhere.

I don't understand where you are getting this from? I have been able to go to a branch, with my payslip, and withdraw money.

The bank are giving people access to their money. You know how much you recieved from payslips and so on. You know how much you have withdrawn. You know what S/O's and DD's have come out, as they are monthly amounts. Simple maths will tell you how much you have left.

Yes there is a huge problem, but people wringing their hands crying 'oh woe is me' when it doesn't take a person with the maths ability of a kid in first class to work out how much is left in their accounts annoy me.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

My direct debit for rent to the landlady showed up yesterday (it's meant to go on the 21st).

Also got a call from the Estate agent who I hate dealing with. Bleh. Hope to **** the money is actually gone and gets there quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Monthly pay day today and pay not in account, not impressed :( Why is this apparently fixed in RBS and not Ulsterbank by now?

Who else does free banking in Ireland?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

gatecrash wrote: »
    I don't understand where you are getting this from? I have been able to go to a branch, with my payslip, and withdraw money.

The bank are giving people access to their money. You know how much you recieved from payslips and so on. You know how much you have withdrawn. You know what S/O's and DD's have come out, as they are monthly amounts. Simple maths will tell you how much you have left.

Yes there is a huge problem, but people wringing their hands crying 'oh woe is me' when it doesn't take a person with the maths ability of a kid in first class to work out how much is left in their accounts annoy me.

So how much did they let you take?
    That is my bank job to do the math, and i don't even know which payments have been made, when, and if my salary was credited, and when...
    You know there are people out there who didn't see any money coming in from last week? And people do rely on their salaries, not everyone has savings...

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ellieh1

I get paid weekly and no wages went into my account last week and no wages went into my account this week either. I am :mad:

• Advertisement

My brother, who banks with AIB also didn't get paid this morning. Employer with UB apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

I have just realised that online money transfers I made to ESB and Eircom have not shown up on those accounts, even though the money left my UB bank account last Tuesday week. Where did that money go :confused:

I'm getting very worried as we're going on holiday next week, and I hope this is sorted before then.

wonski wrote: »
    So how much did they let you take?

I went down with my payslip. That proved to them that money had gone in. I withdrew €500, which was the max they would give me, and to be honest, that's the most i'd be comfortable walking around with.
    That is my bank job to do the math, and i don't even know which payments have been made, when, and if my salary was credited, and when...

You know what date you get/got paid.
    As for what payments have been made, if they are S/O's or DD's, they come out the same time each month, so you should at least have an idea of how much would have left your account

Yes the bank are responsible for this, but there is a small amount of personal responsibility to us as well. They are acting on good faith that no-one will do what was mentioned a few pages back about the guy driving to 32 different ATM's and taking 16k and driving off shouting next stop Australia
    You know there are people out there who didn't see any money coming in from last week?

Yep. I'm one of them.
    And people do rely on their salaries, not everyone has savings...

I'm one of them too. I live paycheck to paycheck. Barely. but i can manage it.

I went down with my payslip. That proved to them that money had gone in. I withdrew €500, which was the max they would give me, and to be honest, that's the most i'd be comfortable walking around with.

You know what date you get/got paid.
    As for what payments have been made, if they are S/O's or DD's, they come out the same time each month, so you should at least have an idea of how much would have left your account

Yes the bank are responsible for this, but there is a small amount of personal responsibility to us as well. They are acting on good faith that no-one will do what was mentioned a few pages back about the guy driving to 32 different ATM's and taking 16k and driving off shouting next stop Australia

Yep. I'm one of them.

I'm one of them too. I live paycheck to paycheck. Barely. but i can manage it.

The thing is 500 isn't what i need. I need to pay rent, and need some cash as well. Don't pay rent by S/O as the first one failed due to - guess what - UB, so i just take cash out, and pay it straight into landlord account.
    Now need to get back to work - i took one week off - only to get payslip so i can take 500E out, which won't cover my rent... And getting car into the garage tomorrow...
    I live on my own, so will manage, but you have to understand that for some people it is major problem now.
    It just takes too long, and they don't seem to care enough if you ask me.
    Major fail if you ask me, and wondering how much they paid to keep it away from the media (i mean the media here are very understanding).

The thing is 500 isn't what i need. I need to pay rent, and need some cash as well. Don't pay rent by S/O as the first one failed due to - guess what - UB, so i just take cash out, and pay it straight into landlord account.

Fair enough. They would probably accomodate you. I don't see any reason why they wouldn't once you explained that to them. Look at the poster who is on holidays in the caravan. UB were offering to get a taxi to drive 60 miles to pick him/her up, drive them to the nearest branch, withdraw money, and drive them back to their holiday place again.

Yeah, it a shitty situation that we're all in, but they are doing their best.
    Now need to get back to work - i took one week off - only to get payslip so i can take 500E out, which won't cover my rent... And getting car into the garage tomorrow...

Not necessarily. One of the lads in here went down with 2 old payslips to show a regular wage coming in and they were fine with that.
    I live on my own, so will manage, but you have to understand that for some people it is major problem now.
    It just takes too long, and they don't seem to care enough if you ask me.
    Major fail if you ask me, and wondering how much they paid to keep it away from the media (i mean the media here are very understanding).

Don't get me wrong, i DO understand. It's a huge problem. There are 150k UB Customers directly affected by this, not to mention the people who are indirectly affected (employer banks with them etc., small business where cash flow is tight and so on)

I have been more than usually careful with my money this week as i don't want to have to go to them again until the systems come back up and i can start using my card. That means my money isn't going anywhere which for the few quid i spend, affects the retailers around me. There is a direct, and negative, affect on the irish economy as a result of this.

I live on my own too. My mortgage is due to come out tmrw. According to the online service i have just over 50c in my account. That won't cover my mortgage! :D

But i can't do anything about it, so all i can do is sit tight and wait for it to be sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

With monthly pay days being today and tomorrow for most, the branches are going to be crazy busy. I feel sorry for the front-line staff as they are going to be the ones getting it in the ear.
    Thankfully I am fine, i have savings so its not a big deal as long as the pay goes in the next couple of weeks or so.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Fair enough. They would probably accomodate you. I don't see any reason why they wouldn't once you explained that to them. Look at the poster who is on holidays in the caravan. UB were offering to get a taxi to drive 60 miles to pick him/her up, drive them to the nearest branch, withdraw money, and drive them back to their holiday place again.

Yeah, it a shitty situation that we're all in, but they are doing their best.

Not necessarily. One of the lads in here went down with 2 old payslips to show a regular wage coming in and they were fine with that.

Don't get me wrong, i DO understand. It's a huge problem. There are 150k UB Customers directly affected by this, not to mention the people who are indirectly affected (employer banks with them etc., small business where cash flow is tight and so on)

I have been more than usually careful with my money this week as i don't want to have to go to them again until the systems come back up and i can start using my card. That means my money isn't going anywhere which for the few quid i spend, affects the retailers around me. There is a direct, and negative, affect on the irish economy as a result of this.

I live on my own too. My mortgage is due to come out tmrw. According to the online service i have just over 50c in my account. That won't cover my mortgage! :D

But i can't do anything about it, so all i can do is sit tight and wait for it to be sorted.

Changed job this month (well not a job, but different company pays me now), so had no money coming in for a while. Previous payslips were sent by email, now need to get the new one in the office... Not a major issue here.
    I have to say i like your attitude, but i am not that calm when it comes to mistakes like this, and we agree in principle that not much WE can do at this stage.

Just read that AIB people don't get their wages now...(while employees with different banks get paid)

quote from indy:
    The bank is understood to be using AIB to process payments for those due to be paid at the end of the week -- but it admitted that this will not cover everyone.

Now, seems like they dragged AIB into it???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

We get paid next Monday. I was talking to our head of finance yesterday and he says that UB have told him there won't be any issues with it going through as that part of the system is fixed. Doesn't seem to be the case going by the above posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Thats all very well for UB customers . What about the poor unfortunates like myself who don't bank with UB ( thank god ) but my employer does. I was due to be paid on Monday , so far no money.

I am now living on savings , I am lucky I have savings.

The other banks , may , or may not give you money , and if they do , they almost certainly will charge a healthy interest , which you will NEVER see back from UB ( you are not their customer so you can go hang as far as they are concerned )

To be honest , this is a total joke , this has been going on for 10 days now , it should have been fixed. People can't feed their families because of these wasters.

Where is the Central Bank ? , Where is the Regulator ? Where is the Gvmt ?

They are too busy finding a nice warm cosy place up the banks backsides , that's where.

• Advertisement

Davidth88 wrote: »
    Thats all very well for UB customers . What about the poor unfortunates like myself who don't bank with UB ( thank god ) but my employer does. I was due to be paid on Monday , so far no money.

I am now living on savings , I am lucky I have savings.

The other banks , may , or may not give you money , and if they do , they almost certainly will charge a healthy interest , which you will NEVER see back from UB ( you are not their customer so you can go hang as far as they are concerned )

To be honest , this is a total joke , this has been going on for 10 days now , it should have been fixed. People can't feed their families because of these wasters.

Where is the Central Bank ? , Where is the Regulator ? Where is the Gvmt ?

They are too busy finding a nice warm cosy place up the banks backsides , that's where.

No one is saying that this isn't a huge issue, and maybe it's a bit naive of me to think it, but surely the other banks, given the extenuating circumstances, would oblige. And if they did charge a healthy interest rate, UB will have to pony up the cash. They have been at pains to assure people that no one will be out of pocket. So far they've kept their word (apart from the moveable feast that is the timescale of the fix that is!! :D) in giving people access to money. My mortgage is with BOI, i rang them yesterday to give them a heads up, they were fine about it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement