Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Bank Systems are down *READ* Mod post #291

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 188 ✭✭KnowYourEnemy

Just got emailed a payslip out of the blue with a couple of hundred quid holiday pay......... guessing I won't be seeing that anytime soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Shao

Davidth88 wrote: »
    Actually , all their communication is that ' THEIR CUSTOMERS WILL NOT LOSE OUT'

I imagine if in some weeks time you go to UB with a bill for interest/DD bouncing charge etc from another bank your answer will be a resounding silence. And your bank won't care .

The rte piece last night said nobody would be left out of pocket even those of other banks and that's what I hav read for several days now. A quick read of the last few rte reports should put your mind at ease.

My phones really messed up when it cones to linking or I'd point you in the right direction , but ulster bank google news should do it .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Week 2 of no money. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ellieh1

Week 2 of no money. :mad:

Welcome to the gang, Week 2 of no money here too :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Shao wrote: »
    The rte piece last night said nobody would be left out of pocket even those of other banks and that's what I hav read for several days now. A quick read of the last few rte reports should put your mind at ease.

My phones really messed up when it cones to linking or I'd point you in the right direction , but ulster bank google news should do it .

I believe they have some agreement in place with other banks. Can't see Ulster denying any responsibility. I wouldn't worry about charges, but failed payments. Car insurance/mortgage, even rent arrears may put some people in troubles. They better sort it soon...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭dee.

My account was unavailable when I tried to log in this morning, hoped that meant they were updating my balance...but nope, still nothing :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Good luck with that . Actually on the Uster Bank site ( not the news where it's second hand ) it does say

"We would like to reiterate that no customer, including customers of other banks, will be out of pocket as a result of this issue."

BUT

Try asking BOI/AIB for the amount of interest being charged/lost for the ( hopefully ) short period .

And I repeat , in a few weeks time you send your bill in ( if you can get that info ) and you will hear NOTHING

Remember the Volcanic Ash thing , Ryanair are still stalling paying people , and a lot of people lost money because they couldn't prove they had to spend money etc , and they were obligated by law , here UB are under no obligation to you , and don't even know who you are ( ie you are not a customer )

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭touts

RBS have been patting themselves on the back on the BBC for solving the problem last weekend. All done. Nothing more to worry about. Sorry for the tempory glitch. What the paddys still have no money? Who cares! Let the IT guys sort it out in their own time.

Until Solicitor letters start landing in the post box at RBS they could no more give a s*** about us!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Davidth88 wrote: »
    Good luck with that . Actually on the Uster Bank site ( not the news where it's second hand ) it does say

"We would like to reiterate that no customer, including customers of other banks, will be out of pocket as a result of this issue."

BUT

Try asking BOI/AIB for the amount of interest being charged/lost for the ( hopefully ) short period .

And I repeat , in a few weeks time you send your bill in ( if you can get that info ) and you will hear NOTHING

Remember the Volcanic Ash thing , Ryanair are still stalling paying people , and a lot of people lost money because they couldn't prove they had to spend money etc , and they were obligated by law , here UB are under no obligation to you , and don't even know who you are ( ie you are not a customer )

Official statement from BOI:
    Whilst Bank of Ireland's systems and processing times remain unaffected, we are very aware that some of our customers have experienced delays in credit and debit payments outside of our control. We are working closely with customers who contact us, providing access to essential cash where regular wage/salary payments have been delayed.

In addition, Bank of Ireland confirms that it is its intention that no customer be disadvantaged by unintended fees, charges or interest as a direct result of the Ulster Bank delays in processing debits and credits. We would encourage any customer who has been adversely impacted in this way to make direct contact with us in order to ensure a reversal of such charges and/or an interest adjustment where appropriate.

So it seems that you will only have to let your bank know, and they will deal with Ulster on their terms...Fair play to them.

As for RyanAir - different story. I got my money back...maybe was just lucky?

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭optimistic_

Up to this morning I had still maintained I would stay with UB.
    I'm sorry to say I'm leaving them now.
    As an organisation I hope they fail after this.
    I hope their staff find the jobs they deserve, their front of house staff are great. But this is unforgivable a this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

So lets get this straight ...

UB stated that the error was fixed and the only remaining issue was the backlog.

Yet people are reporting not seeing fresh payments hitting their accounts.

So is it correct to assume UB lied stating that the system was fixed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭pl4ichjgy17zwd

mathie wrote: »

UB stated that the error was fixed and the only remaining issue was the backlog.

Just called to ask when my payment due yesterday would be made and was told it's still part of the 'backlog'.

Also still couldn't give a 'definitive day' when it would be cleared.

Just called to ask when my payment due yesterday would be made and was told it's still part of the 'backlog'.

I assumed that the backlog was just the transactions made when the system was down and they'd be dealt with seperately.

It doesn't make sense that payments now are not going through.

Something sounds fishy.

It just sounds like they've not fixed the issue and they're trying to buy themselves more time.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I believe the backlog has to be done in chronological order, so any transactions due last night are now at the back of the queue and will be done in turn. That's my understanding of it anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 32 JABS

whelan1 wrote: »
    i also hae a commercial ub account, nothing has changed at all on mine since 20th june, its hard enough to run a business with out the uncertainity of knowing when this will be sorted out

In the same boat as you guys. Balance has changed slightly for the worst but only transactions from the 20th showing. Its extremely frustrating. Spoke to account manager again this morning. She now seems to think that any cheques or D/D's presented against the account will be honoured and cleared while it wont reflect on the account balance. But TBH I really dont think any of them know at this stagewhat is going on and that they are just echoing what they are being told.

The front of house staff are troopers, like in any industry its always the public facing employees that deal with the brunt of any problem and they are always the least paid employees. As for the back of house, account managers etc????? Asked my account manager on Monday was it a rough weekend being in branch all weekend. The response I got ...... "Well it wasnt for me because I wasnt here, it was just the tellers at the desk, sure theres nothing I can do to help"
    mathie wrote: »

I think you may be right to a certain extent on this, but some people are receiving the odd transaction into their account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

There is nothing happening to the backlog. All bull from UB to keep the masses quiet.
    They have not processed batch files since Wednesday last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

My monthly pay was due in yesterday, saw nothing in my account.

According to the UB website, if you have an UB credit card you can use the cash facility to withdraw cash, which is usually at a prohibitive interest rate, without any fees or interest charges. Sounded to me like a good workaround for those who have UB credit cards (I have), so off I went to an ATM to get my cash. However, when I tried to withdraw cash on my credit card the ATM stateed "This facility is temporarily unavailable." More Ulster Bank/RBS/Nat West bull****.

So I had to go to a branch - not a major inconvenience, but very annoying since the website had told me otherwise.

I brought a print-out of my payslip (it's electronic) and my driving license, asked for €1500 cash and got it no problem. I will echo that the staff were fine, no problems there, and at 6pm there was no queue at the bank (Navan).

Just sharing my experience, maybe this will help someone looking for info. I will stay with UB until this is sorted, but I will be opening a new account elsewhere once this is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 bayou

Mr E wrote: »
    I believe the backlog has to be done in chronological order, so any transactions due last night are now at the back of the queue and will be done in turn. That's my understanding of it anyway...

If That is the case, then we are in for a long wait. Lodgments I made on Wednesday 20th June have still not been credited, and that was the first day of the fiasco.

They may be working long hours, but there is little sign that any of the backlog relating to getting lodgments into UB customers accounts has actually been cleared.

The counter staff remind me of the troops in the trenches in WW1. They take all the flak while the Generals sip brandy 30 miles behinds the lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 KittyG

There is nothing happening to the backlog. All bull from UB to keep the masses quiet.
    They have not processed batch files since Wednesday last week.

Seriously? Is that why my wages didn't go in today (for the second week running...grr).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

So my cheque from last week hasn't appeared in my account yet, and my OH was due to get paid his monthly wages today but nothing. We're lucky in that none of our bills are due for 2 weeks but patience is wearing a bit thin at the minute

• Advertisement

Mr E wrote: »

So the automatic transactions cannot take place until the manual ones have taken place?

If so very worrying considering my pay due in 7 days ago has still not landed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Panrich

I don't expect that Government and the Central bank to start banging down the doors at Ulster Bank without coming under serious pressure. The cosy relationships within banking/Government circles need to be exposed at every opportunity and the silence is deafening from all quarters at the moment.
    The Media have a lot to answer for in all this. Why is nobody chasing Ulster Bank for answers as to why the RBS/NAT West issues have been resolved and we are still in the dark about when this might be resolved?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Accrual Intentions

Monthly salary due in today and as I expected it hasn't shown up on the account. Phoned UB there (I'm in the North) and here's what I was told.

You can get up to £500 over the counter in the branch if you show your id and payslip. The Belfast city centre branch is open until 7pm tonight and tomorrow and may be open over the weekend.

DDs and SOs will not bounce if your salary is in the system and these are normal monthly transactions which normally don’t bounce. They will be late however, they will be paid as the backlog is cleared.

My question was this, if I have an amount of cash in my account pre wages, then what happens when my rent is due to come out 1st July? Ie will my account be depleted by that amount or will the rent be delayed and should only show up chronologically after my salary comes in, therefore there are no worries. She couldn’t tell me that and suggested that if I needed the cash to get by on that I should take it out of the ATM and then the rent and everything else will be paid by the salary as the backlog clears.

I wouldn’t want to be in the situation where the little money I have is just sucked up by DDs etc because my wages haven’t come in to cover them. A lot of it doesn’t make sense really but I’m going to the ATM and clearing out my account anyway.

The woman on the phone was very nice and helpful, couldn't say a bad word about her and she was very sympathetic. I felt sorry for her to be honest, these people on the front line must be taking some amount of sh1t from people whilst the people who are really responsible hide in their offices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

The same RTE that broadcast tweets in election debates or programmes about priests in Africa, I wouldn't buy too much of what they say.

All the banks PR teams are milking this and trying to turn a positive spin story on how great they are to customers, remember all the billions the banks blew before people start praising them.

The frontline staff are probably on double pay during this so of course they will be nice and helpful.

Once the media move on people will have a battle to get compensation for what they have lost.

A customer told me yesterday he couldn't buy something off me because of Ulster bank and had to go elsewhere and pay more.

Will I get compensated for this? NO
    Will my customer get compensated for having to pay extra? NO

The PR teams across the banks are riding this to make them look good and as usual people seem to be falling for it.

As mentioned elsewhere look at Ryanair and the ash cloud, lots of positive spin at the time then years later no compensation.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 JABS

Monthly salary due in today and as I expected it hasn't shown up on the account. Phoned UB there (I'm in the North) and here's what I was told.

You can get up to £500 over the counter in the branch if you show your id and payslip. The Belfast city centre branch is open until 7pm tonight and tomorrow and may be open over the weekend.

DDs and SOs will not bounce if your salary is in the system and these are normal monthly transactions which normally don’t bounce. They will be late however, they will be paid as the backlog is cleared.

My question was this, if I have an amount of cash in my account pre wages, then what happens when my rent is due to come out 1st July? Ie will my account be depleted by that amount or will the rent be delayed and should only show up chronologically after my salary comes in, therefore there are no worries. She couldn’t tell me that and suggested that if I needed the cash to get by on that I should take it out of the ATM and then the rent and everything else will be paid by the salary as the backlog clears.

I wouldn’t want to be in the situation where the little money I have is just sucked up by DDs etc because my wages haven’t come in to cover them. A lot of it doesn’t make sense really but I’m going to the ATM and clearing out my account anyway.

The woman on the phone was very nice and helpful, couldn't say a bad word about her and she was very sympathetic. I felt sorry for her to be honest, these people on the front line must be taking some amount of sh1t from people whilst the people who are really responsible hide in their offices.

If I was in your situation Id withdraw your cash

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭acotone

• Registered Users Posts: 7,382 ✭✭✭Tow

acotone wrote: »

The root cause:
    it is understood that the error was made when backing out of an upgrade from CA-7 v11.1 to v11.3. The CA-7 upgrade took place at the weekend of 16/17th June and a problem was noticed on Monday which prompted a back-out from the upgrade on Tuesday night. In the back-out, an "inexperienced operator" made the wrong move and the day's data was wiped from the system. This created the backlog has taken so long to clear.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Ok, my commercial bank account, while stuck on 20th June, is showing a balance which has gone up, with more transactions uncleared. No transactions listed, just a different balance.

Something happened overnight, but its still far from being sorted.

*Update*

I just spoke to one of the cashiers who was just in my place. I explained what I have written above and he told me to disregard everything my online banking says.

Hmmmmmmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,382 ✭✭✭Tow

I just spoke to one of the cashiers who was just in my place. I explained what I have written above and he told me to disregard everything my online banking says.

Over on the Mainland (who are now backup and running!) it appears that RBS has lost the payment narrative fields, there is going to be some fun reconciling payments.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Tow wrote: »
    Over on the Mainland (who are now backup and running!) it appears that RBS has lost the payment narrative fields, there is going to be some fun reconciling payments.

Do you live on the Aran Islands?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement