Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Bank Systems are down *READ* Mod post #291

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭skydish79

bayou wrote: »
    I worked in banking for years and I can't ever remember such a situation.

The front line staff in UB have been pretty much hung out to dry by the suits in the various Head Offices, and I feel really sorry for them and for the line Branch Managers who will no doubt be called to account for the massive loss of business this fiasco will ultimately mean to their branches.

Its the branch staff who are bearing the brunt of the public's anger, and that is not fair. They are doing the best they can under impossible conditions.

The Ulster Bank must use the same PR company as Ryanair. Their feeble'we're sorry, its unacceptable' is no good to the one parent family down the country who lives 30 miles from a branch and is living on baked beans.

Heads have to roll for this, from the top down, starting with the muppet who signed off on relocating the IT to India.

Seeing as credits from Thursday 21st June have still not been dealt with 8 days later, can anyone see the fiasco ending for at least another week ?

So next time you visit an Ulster Bank, thank the staff for their efforts and tell them its not their fault. Also tell them you have no faith in anyone above the rank of branch Manager

TBH it's wearing a bit thin that the front line staff should be getting plaudits for their efforts.

They are only doing their jobs in a time of crisis, nothing more nothing less.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

website now says they do not expect to be up to date Monday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭filmbuffboy

On ulsterbank.ie website since 8.30pm.

'We do not now expect to be fully up to date by Monday 2nd of July.....'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

On ulsterbank.ie website since 8.30pm.

'We do not now expect to be fully up to date by Monday 2nd of July.....'
    No surprise there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

wonderful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Caseywhale

My mini statements show transactions, but when I checked my other bank account those transactions have not happened.
    Ulsterbank says the money has left. PTSB has no record of it arriving.

And I heard from someone in Ulsterbank, that it wont even be back up by the end of next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭CourierCollie

Such a joke
    The bank said the bulk of salary payments were up-to-date, but that a small number of customers may still experience a delay. To assist those customers, it is continuing to provide access to funds through the branch network.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/0629/breaking51.html

I really expected either this weeks, or last weeks pay to show up today. Withdrawals are showing up instantaneously, just no sign of any deposits. Also, received my credit card paper bill today which had a charge on it that wouldn't have happened if I had been able to pay it off as I normally do.

I'm normally really slow to switch providers of anything:o Just been pushed over the edge at this stage.

Always really impressed by the frontline staff at UB. Pity their jobs will be gone because of an IT fk up.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,707 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Ulster bank processing is still 8 days behind. Daily conference calls between RBS and Chennai India have turned farcical. There's the language barrier, Indian bluffing to save face, and a detachment from the seriousness of the problem to get through

• Registered Users Posts: 11 KittyG

Have a pain in my you know where at this stage lads...myself and three of my colleagues bank with Ulster and haven't received our pay for the last two weeks. Caved in and rang the helpline this morning after vowing not to bother and was told that nobody knows what's going on and I shouldn't worry...right.
    As for the chief exec giving up his bonus...pathetic. It'd be alot more useful if they'd just ell us all what's going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭filmbuffboy

it will be really interesting to see how many of the 100 thousand people affected by this will end up leaving UB.

• Advertisement

Savman wrote: »
    It's been 8 days for me, not a single credit showing. Not liking the PR spin at all, it's a million miles from the truth.

Ulster bank is only up to 21st June processing at the mo, so what you're saying makes sense

• Registered Users Posts: 28 teddy6

idcrisis wrote: »
    Please think positively and give it some time for the problem to be solved.

I have not been paid my salary this week. This has not been a problem for me as I have been able to withdraw 500 euros and put food on the table.

However, I think people have given enough time for this problem to be solved. There are many people around the country who are struggling already and many small businesses who are already on the edge without being without bank services.

This is a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

The fact that they are now saying it won't be Monday, has really pissed me off.

They can't just keep pushing back the deadlines they set for themselves.

Somebody needs to step in and take control. Ulster Bank/RBS clearly do not have control.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

stephen812 wrote: »
    Even the Branch Managers seem to have poor PR skills - I've had patience for the last 7 days, but had to finally go into my branch today to withdraw some money for the weekend, stepped inside the door, only to be greeted by 22 people in front of me and 2 UB managers standing watching the tennis on the T.V. and having a great chat. Everyone in the que was commenting on it but the 2 men didn't seem to be too bothered.

After about 10 minutes they came over asking could they help anyone doing an express lodgement. I was 25 minutes in total in the que, when I finally got to the counter the poor girl behind the desk said that the latest from head office was that "they hoped all wages / salaries from 21st June would be in accounts by the end of next week"! :eek::eek::eek:

I was just about to say I've seen so much tennis this week. Tv on the wall. Ulster bank queues.

What if this is never fixed?

I'm really starting to worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 KittyG

The fact that they are now saying it won't be Monday, has really pissed me off.

They can't just keep pushing back the deadlines they set for themselves.

Somebody needs to step in and take control. Ulster Bank/RBS clearly do not have control.

Hear, hear!

The regulator needs to step in at this point and get matters sorted. Speaking as a younger person, my parents are going on hols this weekend and I'm terrified of being stuck with no cash if this gets any worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ellieh1

I cannot believe that the main Ulster Bank branch in Limerick city will not be open at all over the weekend. They are only opening one, the tiny one in the Crescent shopping centre :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 49 silentbang

This time last week ,although annoyed, i was thinking 'ok Ulsterbank,you's had a problem,sort it out'... but now im honestly just sick to death of it, ive got my own problems, i just want the 2 weeks wages im owed, end of!!

Enough is enough,i dont care anymore about what caused it, i dont care whos fault it is or how great the counter staff are,im beyond caring about the ins and outs. i simply want the wages that my boss put over into my account for doing 2 weeks work for him!!!! Seriously is this actually happening!! 2 weeks,no pay and they think its grand to just string us along with false deadlines and pure lies!!! Drip feeding us updates which if you ask me is making this even less bearable..Seriously like,is this for real!!!! It would be easier at this moment to rob a bank than take out my own wages!!! Actually id have to go about it exactly the same way. THIS IS A STICKUP, CAN I HAVE MY WAGES PLEASE.

I was just about to say I've seen so much tennis this week. Tv on the wall. Ulster bank queues.

What if this is never fixed?

I'm really starting to worry.

I've started to worry for the first time today. I'm planning to withdraw all I can (this weeks wages that haven't show up, basically) and start up an account with another bank. I've lost all faith in Ulster Bank. I'm feeling sorry for their frontline staff who are taking the brunt of this.

IT people out there: is there a possibility that financial details in the system have been lost forever, and if not, why is it taking so long to sort this problem out?????

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭skydish79

KittyG wrote: »
    Hear, hear!

The regulator needs to step in at this point and get matters sorted. Speaking as a younger person, my parents are going on hols this weekend and I'm terrified of being stuck with no cash if this gets any worse.

Its the banks fault

teddy6 wrote: »
    why is it taking so long to sort this problem out?????

Because apart from those who are waiting on money, no-one gives a sh!t, FACT!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Be well and win

I've started to worry for the first time today. I'm planning to withdraw all I can (this weeks wages that haven't show up, basically) and start up an account with another bank. I've lost all faith in Ulster Bank. I'm feeling sorry for their frontline staff who are taking the brunt of this.

IT people out there: is there a possibility that financial details in the system have been lost forever, and if not, why is it taking so long to sort this problem out?????

It's taking so long because the Paddies don't matter , we've been booted to the end of the queue whilst RBS sort out the other banks in the group in GB

Time for Enda Kenny to get off his useless backside and get the British Ambassador in and turn this into a political and international relations issue. That might get some traction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

I used to work with mainframe systems - and IF they followed standard practice - then all data should be backed up and they should be able to rerun any payment runs again if something went wrong. The systems I worked on wouldn't have been as big as Ulster Bank's - but if/when we had problems with overnight batch runs it would normally be recovered , restarted and sorted out that night or next morning at the latest. The fact that it is taking so long worries me . There is always the possibility that data has been lost if something went badly wrong and backup data was also lost . It would be very rare for this to happen if procedures are followed though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

It's taking so long because the Paddies don't matter , we've been booted to the end of the queue whilst RBS sort out the other banks in the group in GB

Time for Enda Kenny to get off his useless backside and get the British Ambassador in and turn this into a political and international relations issue. That might get some traction.

But the situation in the UK isn't much/any better.

Time for Enda Kenny to get off his useless backside

If its that time, its to late.....if you need Enda your already screwed

Ogham wrote: »
    I used to work with mainframe systems - and IF they followed standard practice - then all data should be backed up and they should be able to rerun any payment runs again if something went wrong. The systems I worked on wouldn't have been as big as Ulster Bank's - but if/when we had problems with overnight batch runs it would normally be recovered , restarted and sorted out that night or next morning at the latest. The fact that it is taking so long worries me . There is always the possibility that data has been lost if something went badly wrong and backup data was also lost . It would be very rare for this to happen if procedures are followed though.

The schedule was wiped. I don't know why they didn't cut over to the back up system, and roll forward from there? That'd be standard procedure in disaster recovery situations. My guess is that they panicked and tried to muddle through on the production system. Fatal mistake

Ally Dick wrote: »
    The schedule was wiped. I don't know why they didn't cut over to the back up system, and roll forward from there? That'd be standard procedure in disaster recovery situations. My guess is that they panicked and tried to muddle through on the production system. Fatal mistake

What do you mean by Fatal Mistake?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Ferrakins

majority of accounts up to date my eye, id say whats more likely is that on their own internal computers are with payments in, but they dont want to push it to the ATM's until they update it with all the slips for amounts paid out over the past week+ for fear people will take out more then what they have.

if i worked for UB id be getting my docs in order for the social.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

Two weeks salary not shown up yet. I also lodged money last Monday and it hasn't shown on my account. However if I withdraw money it does show up. Amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 djk68

From UB website on credit ratings:

"If you think there is an issue, we recommend that you wait until August to allow records to get back up to date. At that point you can request a free credit check from the Irish Credit Bureau. We are making arrangements with the bureau to pay the costs of this check for our customers."

August, for records to be up to date?????

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Brain Stroking

Sorry if this has been dealt with but i'm wondering whether on the internet banking screen the amount under available is actually the correct amount available?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement