Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Bank Systems are down *READ* Mod post #291

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

We were paid midnight on the 20th so technicall the 21st and haven't seen a brown penny of it. We were paid again on the 27th June and needless to say haven't seen that either.

I have received m UB credit card bill and a letter of default from PTSB on a loan and phonecalls from Vodafone and Meteor.

I moved from BOI about a month ago because I was sick of paying charges for a Current Account that UB would give me for free.

There was a strange fog in our house last night in that the missus was nearly about to burst with rage about UB whereas I was saying "What can we do, what can we do?"

It's normally the other way around but at least I know nobody is going to give me an answer. Normally the people on the phone have no authority and you can moan at them until somebody above them gives you what you want but in this case you cannot get anybody to give you anything so why bother annoying somebody about it.

Would I go back to BOI? No I would not. They treated me like crap when I lost my job in 2010 and charged me about €160 for the luxury of treating me like crap. Nor did they give a crap when I moved my account away from them other than try to charge me a fee on my credit card.

PTSB can go to hell as well because they also treated me like crap in 2008. Long story.

AIB. Well I couldn't trust them really. They are constantly in the media for messing things up and their charges on their website of 20c per transaction after 4.50 per quarter is just as bad as the rest anyway.

I might open a BOI current account again just in case. I might never use it but I can open it anyway as a stop gap in case this happens* to
    another bank.

*Whatever did happen

One Silver Lining on these clouds. The missus has missed her weekly trips to Pennys so money has probably been saved there. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,707 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Geri Male wrote: »
    Update for me

Debit card transactions - purchases made in shops are being posted on the front screen of my Anytime Banking account overview. Online purchases are not showing up but all debit card transactions are coming off my available balance.

ATM withdrawals - are being posted on the front screen of my Anytime Banking account overview and are coming off my available balance.

Direct debits / standing orders
    - processed up to June 21st.

If I had cash or cheques to lodge I'd hold on to them. Manual transactions are yet to be keyed - totally different / separate to the overnight batch processing. I imagine this keying will start now (as per the recruitment adverts) but will take a few days to complete.

Point of sale txs like ATMs and laser come of a database called the shadow database. It's an online tx and is real time, updating the online balance straight away,
    They are posted eventually in batch but will drop off the shadow after that.
    Standing orders/direct debits etc do not come of the shadow database. They are posted in batch. These are the transactions that are delayed back to 21st June.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

As said earlier, its all bull ****. They are telling us **** all or what they think we want to hear, the truth is that they either dont know or they are hiding the truth so save face.
    The dates they are quoting dont add up and have not from day one, they claimed it started on a Wednesday but I had already reported problems from the previously weekend yet they wont acknowledge this.
    Outside of this mess UB are probably the best of a bad bunch, I wont be changing to another bank but I will leave the absolute minimum amount of cash in the bank in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭shaddupayaface

cymbaline wrote: »
    I don't think they even know themselves when this'll be sorted.

Here's a question I'm not sure about - sorry if it has been answered already on this thread. My broadband's running at a snail's pace today.

As well as my current account, I've got a savings account with Ulster Bank. One that I can withdraw funds from under normal circumstances. If I was to open an account with a different bank on Monday, would I be able to get my hands on the money from that savings account and get it out of there? Or would it run into the same logjam that my wages etc. has been caught up in?

I'm in the same boat. I'm seriously thinking of going to a branch and withdrawing them in cash and stickin them in my cu account. I save into it every month and the last lodgement hasn't gone in.

2qk4u wrote: »
    As said earlier, its all bull ****. They are telling us **** all or what they think we want to hear, the truth is that they either dont know or they are hiding the truth so save face.
    The dates they are quoting dont add up and have not from day one, they claimed it started on a Wednesday but I had already reported problems from the previously weekend yet they wont acknowledge this.
    Outside of this mess UB are probably the best of a bad bunch, I wont be changing to another bank but I will leave the absolute minimum amount of cash in the bank in future.

The problem is India. They can't give a straight answer. They would rather tell a lie than admit to any kind of weakness. This is what happens when you offshore and outsource. You lose control over your business !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

I don't think they even know themselves when this'll be sorted.

Here's a question I'm not sure about - sorry if it has been answered already on this thread. My broadband's running at a snail's pace today.

As well as my current account, I've got a savings account with Ulster Bank. One that I can withdraw funds from under normal circumstances. If I was to open an account with a different bank on Monday, would I be able to get my hands on the money from that savings account and get it out of there? Or would it run into the same logjam that my wages etc. has been caught up in?

If it is special interest deposit account, i was able to transfer money to my current account, and withdraw them from atm... Instantly. This was few days ago, i can't say it will work for you 100%, but other people here also had no problem with taking the funds out.

I'm in the same boat. I'm seriously thinking of going to a branch and withdrawing them in cash and stickin them in my cu account. I save into it every month and the last lodgement hasn't gone in.

I have S/O set up to savings, and no money have been taken/lodged...
    I don't think they make any of those transfers at this moment, but you should be able to access this account (i am...)

wonski wrote: »
    I have S/O set up to savings, and no money have been taken/lodged...
    I don't think they make any of those transfers at this moment, but you should be able to access this account (i am...)

Standing orders are done in batch. Only point of sale txs or online banking txs seem to go to shadow. They're the only ones that will update in real time

Ally Dick wrote: »
    Standing orders are done in batch. Only point of sale txs or online banking txs seem to go to shadow. They're the only ones that will update in real time

This explains - at least some of us have access to some emergency cash...

Are these S/O, and DD actually showing on accounts? If they are done in batch, aren't they now in the back of the queue - right behind what they call backlog? I feel it is going to be more difficult to sort than it first looked...
    I don't accept any more service updates and promises from UB.
    This thread will be interesting reading on Monday... Hope to see some progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Caseywhale

It would be some cheek of ulsterbank to bring in current account charges after this.
    They swept up a lot of the customers when AIB brought in charges and now they will lose so many because of this fockup. If they bring in charges they will lose an unreal amount of customers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I'm beginning to wonder if this new computerless banking model that Ulster Bank is rolling out is such a good idea after all!

Caseywhale wrote: »
    It would be some cheek of ulsterbank to bring in current account charges after this.
    They swept up a lot of the customers when AIB brought in charges and now they will lose so many because of this fockup. If they bring in charges they will lose an unreal amount of customers.

Well, if they were about to bring in charges, why would i stay with them???

I never in my life paid for account, not in uk, not over here - and would like to keep it this way. Personally i think it is a scam that people are charged for withdrawals/dd/standing orders...
    I still not decided to switch bank, but for business like Ulster, they cannot make any changes like this, as no sensible man would pay to stay with them after this.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭timbel

Processing backlog my a**.

I switched from AIB to Ulster Bank at the worst possible time.
    - My AIB ac was closed on the 20th with balance transferred to UB, nothing has arrived
    - My wages on the 21st, nothing has arrived
    - My expenses on 25th, nothing has arrived
    - My wages on the 28th, nothing has arrived

Whats worse, I was in Portugal from 19th for a week and had taken out some money on the way over.
    When that ran out, I found my card was not working for "some reason", logged in 24 hour banking I saw no notice of problems there.
    Only read about Natwest stuff in an english paper and realised the problems.

Ridiculously bad communication from UB and a seriously disgraceful situation.
    Surely the regulator has some power to intervene or punish UB in this situation??

wonski wrote: »
    Are these S/O, and DD actually showing on accounts? If they are done in batch, aren't they now in the back of the queue - right behind what they call backlog?

I don't have an Ulster bank account so I don't know that. I assume that standing orders and direct debits are only back as far as 21st June at the mo, because the batch has to be worked through

Central Bank has the power to close down a bank or revoke it's licence if it hasn't processed in 7 days. Not sure if this applies to non-Irish owned banks as well. Elderfield and Honohan must be on their holidays. They're as quiet as church mice on the issue

Ally Dick wrote: »
    Central Bank has the power to close down a bank or revoke it's licence if it hasn't processed in 7 days. Not sure if this applies to non-Irish owned banks as well. Elderfield and Honohan must be on their holidays. They're as quiet as church mice on the issue

I'm not sure what the rules are exactly, but I do know that Ulster Bank is licensed by the Central Bank. The fact that it's foreign owned is irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭andrewdeerpark

Right since Myself and several others kicked off a request from the general public for information it is clear that Ulster Bank's IT is no where near fixed and this backlog bull is just that: BULL.

Time for the mainstream media to up this story in the priority listing. Plus the central bank (or ECB), Bank of England, financial regulator with the minister for finance needs to get involved NOW.

Basically we are looking at a bank that is crumbling as we type!

I have a Visa Debit card that still works however no transactions are appearing on my business online banking. Plus cheques I lodged post 20th have not shown as cleared.

This is actually now going on for so long, you'd wonder if they are actually able to fix it at all.

This seems to have kicked off around 20 June. It's now 30 June!

I've never heard of a bank IT outage lasting for this long.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Realtine

Time for the mainstream media to up this story in the priority listing. Plus the central bank (or ECB), Bank of England, financial regulator with the minister for finance needs to get involved NOW.

How exactly tho can that be done because it's obvious listening to the various news media that Ulster Bank Pr are putting a positive spin on things being fixed and that's exactly what the news outlets are reporting on...despite the fact that reading the thousand or so posts here that NO ONE appears to have been paid into their accounts since June 21 or so (that's the date that we haven't been paid from).?

What about the likes of the big companies like the HSE that use UB - they are obviously going to keep depositing their pay roll into UB?

What are the chances do you think that Ulster Bank might actually shut down for a couple of days in order to get on top of this complete MESS??
    Now that would be scary.

If this was America, there would be lawsuits filed and potentially hundreds of thousands of compensation claims. As its Ireland we will all sit around and bitch and moan until its eventually sorted despite the inconvenience.
    UB will recover and none of us will get more than a mumbled apology via the press.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 jcupcake

HP must looking at this and saying to themselves see what happens when you give your IT / Networking solutions to the indians

On a side note:

I tried to order a dell laptop over the phone it took 30mins to get my name and address it was like J for Jan, C for Computer, U for Ulster along those lines I gave up and bought from HP.

Those Indians!

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭timbel

Solair wrote: »
    This is actually now going on for so long, you'd wonder if they are actually able to fix it at all.

Its crazy stuff - I work in telecoms and if an operator was down for even a day there would be hell to pay/heads rolling, plus Comreg would be up their backside.

If it was France there'd be a picket outside the HQ for the past week + !

• Registered Users Posts: 25 jcupcake

If this was America, there would be lawsuits filed and potentially hundreds of thousands of compensation claims. As its Ireland we will all sit around and bitch and moan until its eventually sorted despite the inconvenience.
    UB will recover and none of us will get more than a mumbled apology via the press.

THIS is actually so true!!! Tort Lawyers would find SOME way to find a lawsuit no matter how crazy it would seem.

Realtine wrote: »
    What are the chances do you think that Ulster Bank might actually shut down for a couple of days in order to get on top of this complete MESS??
    Now that would be scary.

I think they just might have to shut completely for a couple of days. We are edging closer to that happening.

Solair wrote: »

This is the consequence of outsourcing all your IT work to India

Tried to link to this boards.ie forum on the Indo surprise, surprise no sign of my comment. What is with mainstream media?

jcupcake wrote: »
    HP must looking at this and saying to themselves see what happens when you give your IT / Networking solutions to the indians

On a side note:

I tried to order a dell laptop over the phone it took 30mins to get my name and address it was like J for Jan, C for Computer, U for Ulster along those lines I gave up and bought from HP.

Those Indians!

Few years ago, back in UK, i was trying to arrange appointment in my bank - LloydsTSB. I took me 10 minutes to spell my postcode (XX99 9XX)to the guy on the other end( call centre in India). When i finally got to the branch at the date and time confirmed by call centre operator, there was no such appointment...there was one, but one day later...

And don't even start me on 3 call centre... i had to hang up the phone many times...
    I wonder sometimes how the communication works between outsourced offices, and the company?

Sorry for the OT...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭Stavro Mueller

The relative silence on it this by mainstream media is curiously deafening IMHO

• Advertisement

The relative silence on it this by mainstream media is curiously deafening IMHO

If it was SW office that failed to pay benefits/allowances, that would make the news. If it was any private company that did not pay 1000's of its employees - they would take them down in the news.
    Since it is a bank that failed - media keep it quiet...
    Some people, who are not banking with Ulster and are not affected, don't even know about this fiasco...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement