Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rathleigh, Macroom?

Options
  • 20-06-2012 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭

I'm trying to find the location of Rathleigh in the parish of Macroom, but can't seem to find much about it. Any ideas?

Could Raleigh have previously been known as Rathleigh?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭MyStubbleItches

I would imagine it would be Raleigh alright, have never heard of Rathleigh.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭disco biscuit

I think its Raleigh alright because if you put "irish townland data base" into google search you can see all the townlands in County Cork and Raleigh North and South are in it but no mention of Rathleigh.I would say the name was changed over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭RGM

I think I found the solution: http://www.irishexaminer.com/business/farming/forty-two-acre-farm-holding-on-historic-raleigh-estate-123224.html
    A translation from the Irish, Rath Laoi, the Raleigh townland was once part of the estate of Art O’Laoghaire, an 18th century Catholic landowner who was shot by the local sheriff, Morris, for – it is said – a horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Yes the placeyou are looking for is now known as Raleigh.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Denisocal

RGM wrote: »
    I'm trying to find the location of Rathleigh in the parish of Macroom, but can't seem to find much about it. Any ideas?

Could Raleigh have previously been known as Rathleigh?

Yes, it does exist under Raleigh.. If you go in the Killarney direction from Macroom, there is an old dilapidated 'Café Museli' sign on the left and a road just beyond it leading to Raleigh.

Unless you know people who live there though, there's no point in going there.

The old Raleigh House is too far in from the road to be able to see it (all you can see is the lodge at the front, and even that's in a bad state!).

• Advertisement
Advertisement