Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unresolved dispute with NoNo

Options
  • 20-06-2012 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭

Please can someone point me in the right direction.

I ordered a NoNo (hair removal item that you see all over the TV and internet) way back in January. The item didn't work and I got a rash on my leg after using the buffer so after a phonecall with the company, was told to send the item back. I did this but never received my money back.

I contacted the company and they said they never received the parcel, so I opened a query with An Post who looked into the matter. About 3 months later I received a letter from An Post saying they could not track the parcel as it was sent by regular parcel post (I do have a receipt of postage however) but they did say that if an item is undeliverable in the UK, it will be sent back to An Post who will return the item to me. An Post searched for the item but couldn't find it, and no parcel was returned to me.

I contacted the NoNo company again and they told me that because I didn't return the item by registered post, they couldn't help me. They said it was stated in all emails/return paperwork that this was the case.
    I emailed the company back saying I was never told to send it by registered post, the 'return paperwork' was the original invoice with the returns number on it (I was told by phone to just write the returns no. on the invoice!). I was never sent an email regarding the returns procedure either. I emailed all this information to the company and received no reply. I can only assume that I was right and they couldn't refute me.

Anyway as I received no joy from the company I tried to get a chargeback from my credit card but just got a letter to say I was too late. (120 days is the limit, I thought it was 6 months).

Anyway as it stands now, I have no NoNo in my possession, I am €247 (plus postage costs) out of pocket. Is there anything I can do, at this stage?

Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Anyway as it stands now, I have no NoNo in my possession, I am €247 (plus postage costs) out of pocket. Is there anything I can do, at this stage?

No, there is nothing you can do. You should have at least insured the package when you were sending it. But, since you didn't, there is not much you can do.

AnPost don't have it and can't find it, the Royal Mail can't find it, NoNo don't have it, so unfortunately you have nothing now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Anyway as I received no joy from the company I tried to get a chargeback from my credit card but just got a letter to say I was too late. (120 days is the limit, I thought it was 6 months).

You would/should have lost the chargeback request, even if it was in time, since it would have been easily defended by the merchant.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭desolate sun

Paulw wrote: »
    No, there is nothing you can do. You should have at least insured the package when you were sending it. But, since you didn't, there is not much you can do.

AnPost don't have it and can't find it, the Royal Mail can't find it, NoNo don't have it, so unfortunately you have nothing now.

The reason I didn't send by registered post is I couldnt afford to (I was buying the unit on the 3 x monthly payments) and I know I wouldnt get this money back. I was already not getting the €10 shipping fee by them back.

So by sending it regular post I was out by €17.50.
    Registered post would have cost much more than this.

The package must be somewhere?
    I think NoNo are pulling a fast one on me.
    Can I not go to the Small Claims Court or something?

I have a proof of posting cert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

So by sending it regular post I was out by €17.50.
    Registered post would have cost much more than this.

They no-no this, which is why they win when many settle for not sending the product back.

The package must be somewhere?
    I think NoNo are pulling a fast one on me.
    Can I not go to the Small Claims Court or something?

I have a proof of posting cert.

Proof of posting is very different from proof that NoNo received it. You have no proof that it was delivered.

Yes, of course, the package must be somewhere. But, things do get lost, misplaced, stolen, etc. That's why insurance is an offer. If you had insurance you now would have received that amount, and you would be happy.

You can try taking NoNo to the small claims court, but your chance of winning is very slim, since you have no proof that they received the item, and they can show the tracking that the item never reached them.

• Advertisement

Paulw wrote: »
    That's why insurance is an offer.

TBH I didnt know this was available.

In hindsight I probably should have gone for registered post. I would be less out of pocket than I am now.

I am just wondering if I can do anything regarding the postal service, since the fault seems to fall with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭piperh

TBH I didnt know this was available.

In hindsight I probably should have gone for registered post. I would be less out of pocket than I am now.

When you send any parcel back through the post they ask if its anything of value and if you want to add insurance, even a large letter so i cannot understand how you didn't realise this. I send parcels to family in the UK regulary and am always asked.

I'm sorry but if an post cannot find it and nor can royal mail then you have no-one to claim the money back from as neither will accept responsibilty.

piperh wrote: »
    When you send any parcel back through the post they ask if its anything of value and if you want to add insurance, even a large letter so i cannot understand how you didn't realise this.

I was never asked this when I was sending back the parcel.

Also insurance isn't always the be-all and end-all of everything. We've all heard horror stories of people trying to claim back off the insurance if something does go wrong, myself included.

I'm sorry but if an post cannot find it and nor can royal mail then you have no-one to claim the money back from as neither will accept responsibilty.

But I paid for a service which was not carried out. Do I not have a foot to stand on?

• Advertisement

Also insurance isn't always the be-all and end-all of everything. We've all heard horror stories of people trying to claim back off the insurance if something does go wrong, myself included.

While it's not the be-all and end-all, in your case it's a situation where if you had insurance, you would get the insured value, but since you didn't insure it you now have nothing and get nothing.

AnPost can't take responsibility when the item leaves the country, and this is why insurance is available.

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭piperh

I was never asked this when I was sending back the parcel.

But I paid for a service which was not carried out. Do I not have a foot to stand on?

An post insurance isn't to bad for future reference, claims are pretty easy normally.

No unfortunatly theres very little you can do because the parcel can't be traced outside of Ireland unless its registered so theres no proof of where it went missing. Neither company is going to take responsibilty and recompense you. Not what you were hoping to hear i'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Best they will do it offer to refund the postage, but since the item was not recorded, they is no proof (other than NoNo's word) that is was NOT delivered...
    When you send any parcel back through the post they ask if its anything of value and if you want to add insurance, even a large letter so i cannot understand how you didn't realise this. I send parcels to family in the UK regulary and am always asked.

They don't always ask, I have also had (when trying to send something registered) a numpty behind the counter not bothering to ask a value, putting it as min value and complaining when I insist on them putting in a value.

Advertisement