Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Handkerchief colour?

• 20-06-2012 12:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,

I've a wedding this weekend, and im giving serious consideration to wearing a handkerchief.
    What I want to know is this, should the handkerchief match the tie or the shirt. And what will look sharper?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

White shirt, coloured tie and white handkerchief looks nice. Alternatively, if your tie is patterned, a handkerchief in one of the colours looks good too.

What colour is your suit/tie/shirt?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Tis a charcoal suit, white shirt and a burgundy tie.

White handkerchief ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

Slattsy wrote: »
    Hey all,

I've a wedding this weekend, and im giving serious consideration to wearing a handkerchief.
    What I want to know is this, should the handkerchief match the tie or the shirt. And what will look sharper?

White shirt with white pocket square is fine imo.

Generally though I wouldn't match up the shirt or tie exactly, it looks a bit forced like the awful tradition some people keep of a grooms tie matching the bridesmaids dresses.

I'd use it to complement the other colours or even to add some texture to the overall look if you're wearing a solid shirt and tie by getting a patterned one.

I don't know where you're based but TM Lewin just off Grafton St. in Dublin have some nice hand rolled silk ones for about 15-20E.

M&S generally do a multipack of cotton ones if you want a cheaper option.

I'd love to get a silk one, I'm sure I can pick one up in Arnotts.

I'll go with the white I think as I can't find a burgundy one, even in cotton anywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭ladhrann

Sugar Free wrote: »

Generally though I wouldn't match up the shirt or tie exactly, it looks a bit forced like the awful tradition some people keep of a grooms tie matching the bridesmaids dresses.

Amen, way too matchy matchy. Take a look on Kennedy & McSharry on Nassau St., or Brown Thomas for a silk handkerchief with a rolled hem. Cheaper options are the above mentioned, but may have flat machined hems. I would say to go for a bright summery colour as its not a business/serious event.

• Advertisement

Considering I've a white shirt and a plain burgundy tie, what options have I got for coloured handkerchief??

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I'd for a white, personally!

Twee. wrote: »
    I'd for a white, personally!

Im with you on that Twee.

I do however think that if i could get something that had both colours it would look sharp, but cant find anything like it.

Found a burgundy handkerchief in Arnotts.

I'm sorry if I've disappointed some of you with this choice ! :)

Advertisement