Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

buying monitors of internet(safety)

Options
  • 20-06-2012 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭

dont know is this the right section to post,but how safe is it to order monitor of internet speaking of sizes such as 24 inch,is there much chance that they will arrive intact without a kick in the middle of the screen or some sort of damage,while being shipped over ?Now i dealt with amazon about 10 times but every time i ordered something that requires special care it arrived damaged,and fair enough they would replace or give the cash back but its time consuming,as first time i ordered a case for pc as a side glass arrived in cracked,second time 3d glasses pair of them tightly warped in a hard box but yet somehow one glass got smashed to pieces,didn't even need to open the box to see that.So now looking to built a system of 2-3 screen 24inch big with slim corners and affordable price,but i imagine the risk is being quite high of damage to them,or am i being to paranoid :confused: as dont even want to look at like pcworld where they charge you double for the old crap.So anyone ordered recently sensitive and big items,and how it went.thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

I have bought monitors and TV's off pixmania and they have always came in great condition . The last thing i bought off them was a 32 inch HD TV .

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭pcadvice

i bought a samsung from komplette i think it was and it arrived fine

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

must be bad luck then for me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Komplett allow you to pick up the items in a warehouse in Dublin.

yeah but im looking at amazon.co.uk and i think pixmania is based in Ireland as well so its more complicated, as some items from amazon, come form Germany and further,if ill go ahead might try to ask for extra protection or bubble wrap or smth :) .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

scamalert wrote: »
    yeah but im looking at amazon.co.uk and i think pixmania is based in Ireland as well so its more complicated, as some items from amazon, come form Germany and further,if ill go ahead might try to ask for extra protection or bubble wrap or smth :) .

From what I know about pixmania they are base in France . I think they are dead handy to use because they accept laser thats why i mainly use them .

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Vico1612

I got my current 24 monitor from Komplett and a colleague just got a 24 monitor delivered by Amazon yesterday , no pbs ...
    TV from Pixmania , but the transporter f$%ed up and lost it , was eventually found after a lot of shouting

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i got a 24" LCD off iBOOD a few years ago and it was perfect, in fact i'm using it to type this now. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭N64

Yeah, I ordered a few monitors over the years and they have always arrived fine with anpost. Pixmania ship from Belgium btw, they are not Irish based company even though they have a .ie domain and have a Irish number. Most monitors are packaged in such a way that they are designed to take the bumps, drops, etc that the package would experience during shipping.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

I get most of my stuff from amazon.de or Komplett. Never any issues with amazon, got three 27" monitors off them recently, and all arrived perfectly.
    I had to send one back because it was not working 100%, and it took 18 days using an post.

Sometimes its the luck of the draw with postal/couriers. What does help with monitors is if they come in decent durable packaging to begin with. give a look online at unboxing vids etc. to get an idea.

For example, I got a Silverstone case last year from scan, the box was double ply corrupted cardboard and there was a good amount of Styrofoam between the case and the box. You could see where the box was scraped and dented, but because the packaging was so good the case was perfect.

• Advertisement

glynf wrote: »
    I get most of my stuff from amazon.de or Komplett. Never any issues with amazon, got three 27" monitors off them recently, and all arrived perfectly.
    I had to send one back because it was not working 100%, and it took 18 days using an post.

Sometimes its the luck of the draw with postal/couriers. What does help with monitors is if they come in decent durable packaging to begin with. give a look online at unboxing vids etc. to get an idea.

For example, I got a Silverstone case last year from scan, the box was double ply corrupted cardboard and there was a good amount of Styrofoam between the case and the box. You could see where the box was scraped and dented, but because the packaging was so good the case was perfect.
    any chance you could post up a pic heres how your setup looks? as currently im still in the looking up stage and theres not many thin framed monitors that are cheap and good at the same time so far i hear acer are the better ones ?

scamalert wrote: »
    any chance you could post up a pic heres how your setup looks? as currently im still in the looking up stage and theres not many thin framed monitors that are cheap and good at the same time so far i hear acer are the better ones ?

I have already here.

Samsung and Dell are the best bet for affordable thin bezel monitors, acer & some of the BenQ's are good as well-can vary model to model though.

I suggest you give a look at the Dell U2412M's or the U2312HM's, great E-IPS monitors, thin bezels and reasonably priced as well ffs, sounds like I work for them!(I don't by the way). Also komplett sells them-and as Skylinehead said you can collect them in the Blanch if concerned about the shipping.

How many are you looking for, what's your budget?

id want to fit into 500e budget,funny enough i was looking at one of these monitors as you have considering to buy,only offset is altough the design is amazing but the whole leg on the right side doesnt look that well when few screens are put together,im looking at this model atm Acer S240HLbid 24 inch Full HD widescreen LCD monitor
    Acer S240HLbid 24 inch Full HD widescreen LCD monitor 122 pounds.

but none the less your rig looks amazing had to cost a fortune three of them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭N64

You should defiantly go for the u2312HM on komplett. €189 is a bargain and its a huge step up from the monitor listed on amazon.

+1 re. the u2312, way better screen than the S240H. Plus if the bezels are a concern its easy to strip the dell so you have <20mm between the screens, there is a great guide here.

will keep that in mind :)

Advertisement