Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

5-year-old loses fingers after picking up a pipe bomb.

• 20-06-2012 1:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0620/child-injured-by-suspected-pipe-bomb-in-co-wicklow.html
    The five-year-old picked up the device near his house at Sycamore Drive, Newtownmountkennedy at around 8.30am and was taken to Our Lady's Children's Hospital, Crumlin where he is undergoing surgery.

Fully paid up member of the PC brigade here.

Find the culprit, beat the sh1t out of him in public and cut off all welfare payements to his family for the rest of time.

Absolute fukin scum.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

I'm not being insensitive, but thankfully, it wasnt worse. It was a pipe bomb at the end of the day. Its meant to cause more damage.

I would suggest these people who just left it there for anyone to find (i.e. a child) should be eaten alive by rabid dogs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

So who was it meant for...Are the child's parent up to anything they shouldn't be?

Terrible for the child, hope they get better soon with no permanent damage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Boombastic wrote: »
    So who was it meant for...Are the child's parent up to anything they shouldn't be?

Ahem, fingers blown off. Bit late for "no permanent damage".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

Boombastic wrote: »

God only knows. Could be some idiot with an internet guide to making a simple bomb. I imagine the ingredients would not be hard to get...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭papajimsmooth

Lets not be rash, we dont know what kind of home situation the perpetrators were raised in

• Advertisement

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Ahem, fingers blown off. Bit late for "no permanent damage".

True, maybe they brought them in top the hospital on ice and can reattach? wonders of medical advances and all that,

I didn't see that in the report - poor child

Anyone know why this particular house was targetted?

Lets not be rash, we dont know what kind of home situation the perpetrators were raised in

Disadvantaged no doubt, poor things:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

Yeah yeah, lets get the guy resposible, and let dogs savage his kids infront of him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

What the hell is going on with the amount of pipe-bombs being found lately?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭baldbear

The family have never come to gardai attention. Rte radio said it looks like it was left at wrong house.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

I'm going up there this evening on the way home.. gonna go postal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

tbh wrote: »
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0620/child-injured-by-suspected-pipe-bomb-in-co-wicklow.html

Find the culprit, beat the sh1t out of him in public and cut off all welfare payements to his family for the rest of time.

Absolute fukin scum.

You have a clear and obvious desire to derail your own thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Been a few pipe bombs being posted through letter boxes, and they seem to be rented houses, makes me wonder who on earth they are targeting and why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

Absolute fukin scum.

what makes you assume the person that made the pipe bomb is on welfare?

Sharrow wrote: »
    Been a few pipe bombs being posted through letter boxes, and they seem to be rented houses, makes me wonder who on earth they are targeting and why.

Sadly it doesn't take much, often it's the simplest accusation or public rumour of some wrong doing. More often than not these so called seekers of justice will have their information wrong and target innocent people.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 690 ✭✭✭puffishoes

Ah, a professional bomb maker.

Who nu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

well if it turns out that the person who left a pipebomb on someones doorstep is in gainful employment, then we can skip that step and just proceed to the beatings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭UDP

cut off all welfare payements to his family for the rest of time.
    Why would you go after his family? Surely they could be as innocent as the boy who lost his fingers. :confused:

and let dogs savage his kids infront of him
    Surely calling for this makes your idea as bad as the perpetrator's. In fact it is probably worse since the perpetrator more than likely was not targeting a child on purpose but you are actually calling for children to be savaged by dogs. Just like the kid who lost his fingers, this person's children, if they exist, are more than likely completely innocent here. I really cannot understand the hypocrisy on this thread. Shame on you.

well if it turns out that the person who left a pipebomb on someones doorstep is in gainful employment, then we can skip that step and just proceed to the beatings.

Definitely someone employed judging by the time of the morning it was left at, no-one on the dole would be up that early:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

Ah poor little guy. Sending him well wishes. (i came back to edit this. I mean the boy here. I hope he has plently of pain relief and hope the doctors and nurses in crumlin looks after him well and hope he is surrounded by his family and loved ones and I hope he gets spoilt rotten). XXX

Scumbag who that to him.

With this and other horrible news stories like for example in roscommon - an arson attack where a 5 year old died - there's far too much badness happening. :-(

UDP wrote: »
    Why would you go after his family? Surely they could be as innocent as the boy who lost his fingers. :confused:

tough.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Hopefully forensics will find some culprit DNA and/or finger prints besides traceable residue to eventually zero in on the guilty person.
    Only right.

Funny.. that's how RAAD started. Perhaps we could just go straight to pipe-bombing the culprits :rolleyes:

It's AH and the OP is having an emotional reaction, it shall only get more amusing as they defend their position.

tough.
    Nice to see others have the same ideas as the perpetrator. Well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

I am appalled, but comforted by the fact that if the Gardai do actually bother to find out the perps, and the DPP do agree to pursue the case, and the perps have at least 10 prior convictions they may get 6 months in prison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

It's AH and the OP is having an emotional reaction, it shall only get more amusing as they defend their position.

The overreaction people have is because the Irish criminal system won't do anything. It does derail the thread to wish violence though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Are you quite sure you are?:rolleyes: In itself, the very use of the term "PC brigade" (unless used humourously and self-deprecatingly) is often an expression of contempt for those who subscribe to certain values and principles, such as opposition to racism, xenophobia, social injustice, sexism, class discrimination, mob violence, vigilantism, collective punishment. In general, those who caution against the kind of society that people like avid Daily Mail readers seem to howl for on a regular basis.

Instead, they advocate due process of law and at least a minimum level of humane treatment of prisoners rather than gratuitous and savage cruelty against them and their families. It isn't always easy to tell those calling for cruel and unusual punishment to cop themselves on and look in the mirror, but someone has to do it.:)

People who subscribe to those standards of decency do not belong to an organised group and therefore do not pay membership fees.:)
    [/QUOTE]

I have a better suggestion: catch the culprit or culprits, put them on trial and punish them the way the law allows. Only the culprits should be punished, not their families, who are innocent of wrongdoing. Collective punishment is applied only in dictatorships or at the hands of vigilantes. And committing criminal acts is never a good response to crime, however despicable the crime and those who have committed it may be.:D
    Absolute fukin scum.

Hard to disagree with that part, which makes it all the more important to try to be better than them rather than allowing yourself to become too emotional and join the mob who want to hand out their kind of (sick) "justice". What you are, in fact, saying in your post is that you advocate joining rather than fighting them. But that will only make it harder for those who genuinely want to tackle crime.:cool:

I hope the kid recovers, by the way, and that the medical staff have been able to reattach the fingers successfully.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

Absolute fukin scum.

Yeah, his or her family are responsible for this

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    Are you quite sure you are?

sometimes it's easier to post a gut reaction to a story. Sometimes it's easier to put aside what I'd normally post and just think that the person responsible for leaving a pipe-bomb on a doorstep and ends up maiming a five-year old child for life is a total prick who deserves to have the same pain inflicted on his family as he inflicted on others.

It's not logical, it's not consistent with other posts I've made on similar topics and I couldn't give a bollocks.

The chap that left that pipebomb doesn't give a crap about rights and responsibilities and principles. Just once, I'd like to not to be the one to put the case of the moral society in the face of popular digression, and I'm happy for you to put the argument I'd normally put, and for logical fallacy to pour all the scorn he likes on an emotional reaction.

The person who did this is a scumbag, and I hope he dies roaring. I hope his family lives to regret the blind eye they turned to his actions. The end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

deserves to have the same pain inflicted on his family as he inflicted on others.

So if he has a kid the kid deserves to have his fingers blown off too?

Pretty sick logic as I see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

I am appalled, but comforted by the fact that if the Gardai do actually bother to find out the perps, and the DPP do agree to pursue the case, and the perps have at least 10 prior convictions they may get 6 months in prison.

But thankfully the judge will suspend the last 2 and with remission they'll be out in 3 and with a cheque for €211.50 (€2.35 x 90) from the governor in their back pocket when they leave, that'll be enough to buy plenty more pipes from the nearest builders merchants.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

kid no, Father, possibly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

I have a 5 year old, and if something like that happened to him, and I found out who was responsible, I'd probably end up getting more time than they would. Good old justice system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Interesting fudging of the issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

the perps have at least 10 prior convictions they may get 6 months in prison.
    6 months in prison? For blowing a kids fingers off? Are you for real. They'll get a four month suspended sentence if we're lucky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Hes having a human reaction tbh (no pun intended). Wheter this animal is on welfare or not he has nothing better to do than place pipe bombs where kids will find them. I wouldnt shed a tear if this guy was beat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

Get the offendor to pay for this kids hospital bill, rehabilitation and pay damages every year until the poor boy is at least 18.
    And a prison sentence of course.

• Advertisement

why should I defend my position? It's the way I feel, why should I care what value you or anyone else puts on that?

the_syco wrote: »
    6 months in prison? For blowing a kids fingers off? Are you for real. They'll get a four month suspended sentence if we're lucky.

Couldn't whoever is responsible be done for attempted murder? You don't leave a pipe-bomb outside somebody's house without wanting to kill or maim. All this crap about him being likely to only get a suspended sentence is nonsense.

Couldn't whoever is responsible be done for attempted murder? You don't leave a pipe-bomb outside somebody's house without wanting to kill or maim. All this crap about him being likely to only get a suspended sentence is nonsense.

Ah, but they're probably disadvantaged, come from a troubled background, etc:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭FairytaleGirl

Jeezus had a moment there when I read the title of embarrasment/shame of my roots being embedded in the Troubles.

Then I realised it happened in Dublin - Not the good oul North.

Off the hook!

Wicklow, not Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Radio said the gardai have suspicion it was left there for next door neighbours
    What kind of idiots would leave a pipe bomb lying around knowing slim chance of it hitting the intended targets and an innocent child becomes the victim
    God help the poor kid in hospital and his parents

****ing dirtbag pricks.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Resident fascist* find them, try them, if guilty, hang them. I'd add a few other crimes to that list. Public floggings for others.

I see in the BBC news earlier that a chap in the US who found a waste of air raping his young child beat said waste of air to death. No charge. They're not even take it any further and will keep his name out of the press. Good call. Over here I'd be shocked if that happened. The usual bedwetters would be out and worse listened to by some.

*added that in so if folks take umbrage they can quote this post later on to enable them to bask in their own wonderfulness and about how evil I am.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Maybe they didn't have fields to play in when they were younger...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

kid no, Father, possibly.
    :confused:

• Advertisement
Advertisement