Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So who will be repeating and who won't?

• 20-06-2012 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭

Just thought I'd start a thread for the discussion of whether or not you think you've done well or not and whether you'd repeat?

If you repeat do you have to all 7 subjects again?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

AFAIK you only do the subjects you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭HeaneyBabe

really? how does that work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭Raeone

I'm repeating, all of my seven subjects. I only want to get a pass in french so won't be doing much work at all in it, just enough a few weeks before to get a pass. So I'll concentrate on my other six.

I also think I will be going up to higher level maths, from doing ordinary level this year but will talk to my maths teacher about that in August.

So I will be doing 4/5 higher level and 2/3 ordinary level depending on if I go up in Maths.

Raeone wrote: »
    I'm repeating, all of my seven subjects. I only want to get a pass in french so won't be doing much work at all in it, just enough a few weeks before to get a pass. So I'll concentrate on my other six.

I also think I will be going up to higher level maths, from doing ordinary level this year but will talk to my maths teacher about that in August.

So I will be doing 4/5 higher level and 2/3 ordinary level depending on if I go up in Maths.

Are you decided you're definitely repeating already? What course do you want? Can you repeat in your school?

HeaneyBabe wrote: »
    really? how does that work?

If you sat the subjects this year that are required for your course you don't need to sit them next year. So if you sat English and got a HC3 and that is what your course requires you don't need to sit it this year.

If you are repeating for points then obviously you must do at least six subjects. You can't mix and match your point from different years, only from one year.

So the rule is, you can take subject requirements from different years but only the points from one sitting.

• Advertisement

HeaneyBabe wrote: »
    Are you decided you're definitely repeating already? What course do you want? Can you repeat in your school?

Yes definitely repeating, unsure of course but I am thinking secondary school teaching and I want to teach maths but that could change when I see how tough higher level maths is.
    Yes you can repeat in my school, though I haven't asked if I personally can yet, I will in August.

Yes definitely repeating, unsure of course but I am thinking secondary school teaching and I want to teach maths but that could change when I see how tough higher level maths is.
    Yes you can repeat in my school, though I haven't asked if I personally can yet, I will in August.

Oh wow! Good luck! I'm not sure if I could go through it all again. I want to be a secondary school teacher too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

I repeated this year so I won't be again for sure.
    I kept the subjects I did only dropped one and took up another subject economics as I needed a 6th subject. You don't need to do the same subjects again and you can use like maths as a requirement but not for points . Some things like medicine you might need to do some of the subjects again.
    It's not the worse thing to do repeating. It's only a year you still have your life ahead of you. I decided I'd rather do another year then go to a university for 3/4years which isn't one I'd like. I always said I'd never repeat and I ended up repeating. Also plcs weren't an option for me as there is no course suited to what I'd like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭JonnyMcNamee

Definitely won't be repeating, Leaving Cert went really well for me I felt. I don't think, if the exams went badly for you, that you should just jump to conclusions and say I'm definitely repeating. There's always other options such as PLCs, Level 6s and Level 7s. I understand though that repeating might be the best option for a lot of people and if I felt I let myself down and didn't get my first course I would probably repeat and take all the same subjects bar Engineering and maybe Maths :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

If you sat the subjects this year that are required for your course you don't need to sit them next year. So if you sat English and got a HC3 and that is what your course requires you don't need to sit it this year.

If you are repeating for points then obviously you must do at least six subjects. You can't mix and match your point from different years, only from one year.

So the rule is, you can take subject requirements from different years but only the points from one sitting.

The only exception to this is medicine, where you must have your requirements and your points from the same sitting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

I won't be repeating. :) I know I've got my points. If I hadn't changed my mind on what I want to do, I'd be very iffy about whether or not I'd gotten the grades (needed 5A's - think I got 4 and 3 B1's... SO CLOSE) but if I didn't get it, I'd just have done something else. Repeating isn't an option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

The lowest course on my CAO is 200 points and if I had to take it I would, not repeating!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭coffeelover

I'd love to say i won't be repeating but I have a feeling I will have too :( Maybe it wouldn't be a bad thing though because I've no idea what I want to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭shefellover93

Definitely not repeating! Felt the exams went well for the most part, was never panicking at any stage, the Leaving isn't nearly as bad as people make it out to be (A good relationship helped me through the worst of it) but it is a long slog and I don't want to do it again. Just a matter of hoping I did enough at this stage, want my course more than anything at the moment, I know I'd be happy doing it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭amyleaving

I didn't get enough points in my mocks for the course i want and i feel i haven't done much better in the leaving now so if i don't get enough points for my course i want to repeat as i really want it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

I think the exams went well enough. Not as good as they could have but not as bad as thay could have. Basically went the way I expected, but the way points are likely to increase I'd say it's 50:50 wheter or not I'll get my course. I'll repeat if I have to, and I'll be able to do much better next year. But it's 50:50, the LC is grand, big hype over nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 lady365

M&S* wrote: »
    The lowest course on my CAO is 200 points and if I had to take it I would, not repeating!

what course is that?????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

I dont understand how anyone could know for sure already, even though so many in my year have decided since christmas that they are.
    I'll repeat if I have to but I don't think I will.
    In a worst case scenario I'll get my degree through arts.
    Besides, after 14 repeats last year and 11 failed maths my school has gotten very strict on repeating.
    Loads have already asked this year so there are limited places and interviews to be held.
    If I do repeat it'll be externally by myself.

Besides, I'm very happy with how they went. :)
    I wasn't stressed at all, except for Bio and that turned out to be one of my best!
    It's really not as bad as the hype.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

I amn't repeating! I'm certain I've my course so I'm happy! To be honest, I'll be doing app maths for 4 years as part of my course so I'm in the mindset of sitting the app maths exam next year so I'll have the Leaving cert techniques done(for basics etc seeing as I couldn't do it this year.)

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

Well the leaving cert is different for everyone. You can't really say "Oh I don't know why people make such a big deal of it". Also people have different standards for how well they want to do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

Could never repeat, my school doesn't allow it anyway so I'd have to find somewhere to do it. If I don't get my 1st choice, my 2nd is 100 points lower and I'd be just as happy to get that.

leaveiton wrote: »
    Could never repeat, my school doesn't allow it anyway so I'd have to find somewhere to do it. If I don't get my 1st choice, my 2nd is 100 points lower and I'd be just as happy to get that.

Your school doesn't allow it? That's pretty bad.

Martin_94 wrote: »
    Your school doesn't allow it? That's pretty bad.

What I mean is they don't take on repeats, not that they don't let you repeat if you want to :P

leaveiton wrote: »
    What I mean is they don't take on repeats, not that they don't let you repeat if you want to :P

Yeh that's what I mean, I'm just surprised they don't. It's actually a pretty good incentive not to repeat. :pac:

Martin_94 wrote: »
    Yeh that's what I mean, I'm just surprised they don't. It's actually a pretty good incentive not to repeat. :pac:

I've heard of a lot of schools that don't allow it, I think it's fair enough! But yeah I suppose it is a good incentive, I've never really considered it as an option but maybe I would if they did let you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

Not too happy with how things went, but I'm definitely not doing the Leaving a third time! :P

you can't repeat in my school either, but would you really want to go back into a different year with everyone knowing you're repeating? there's no shame in repeating, i just wouldn't like going into a year you used to have 'authority' over as some thought they did.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 poisonoak

My school doesn't allow repeats either but I had to leave 6th year a few months ago due to illness and they offered to take me back in September which I thought was decent of them. And I just had an interview with the school I really want to go to and they said they'll take me on as well so I'll definitely be repeating... just have to decide where now!

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Nicole.

I would hope that I wouldn't be repeating. If I was it would probably be because of an entry requirement e.g. to pass maths. I'm really bad at maths, even in Oridinary level. I was 100 points clear of my first choice in my mocks, which is Arts in UCC. I would probably repeat in the same school as this year because I recieved a lot of support there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

I don't want to repeat, but if I have to to get the course I want, i'll suck it up and go back. My course has been 450 the last 3 years (BCL Law & Economics) and there's only been 53 extra applicants to Law courses (according to the CAO), so the most it could go up is probably 5 points.

Worst case scenario at the minute, I think this is what I could of gotten:
    1. English- B3
    2. Geography- C2
    3. Business- B1
    4. Economics- B1
    5. French- C1
    6. Music (left to do AND STUDY FOR), i'd say B3

That'd give me 455 which is just what I need tbh! :S..

I was 100% positive of getting my course before I sat that Geography paper, (got a B1 in the Mock :rolleyes:) was fairly sure of getting an A2 that morning, now a C2 lucky I think..

I'm not taking any other course rather than Law with Economics..

Advertisement