Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So Got This Letter in the Door This Morning

• 20-06-2012 1:48pm

for fas/dole crowd

we see that your interested in working in a office

i was like :D

40 hours a week full time on a scheme

(for free no mention of that 50 euro) :mad:

what a ****ing kick in the teeth :(

straight in the bin it went

what a waste of time money paper ink etc :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

for fas/dole crowd

Get up off your hole and go do something. It might lead to something better.

Who would you employ, somebody showing initiative and working or some lazy twat who stays in bed all day?

Sometimes you have to take a step back to build up forward momentum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

for fas/dole crowd

In fairness, if you got in there and actually did some work, kept your head down they would likely take you on full-time on an entry level basis.

Its how I started. Filing etc and now on a decent wage (for someone who is 23) and have plenty of experience.

In other words, stop being a leech and get to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Always easier to get a job when you have a job, Up an out OP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

for fas/dole crowd

Got is right there....

Ouch...i just pulled a muscle in my leg typing this...bloody agony!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

BattleCorp wrote: »

Who would you employ, somebody showing initiative and working or some lazy twat who stays in bed all day?

Bollox, so this company are getting 40hrs free labour a week, that's 1 less proper job on the market, makes me sick when companies try this.

If it was a gauranteed job after a week then yeah, but no mention of that

• Advertisement

In before JOB BLOCKER:eek:

You expect the government to just keep handing you money for sitting on your hole?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

scudzilla wrote: »
    Bollox, so this company are getting 40hrs free labour a week, that's 1 less proper job on the market, makes me sick when companies try this.

Ok, sure just hold on until they knock on your door headhunting you so...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

scudzilla wrote: »

The company is getting 40hrs free labour a week.

Sounds exactly like what the OP is getting too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

I certainly wouldn't employ someone who'd go for one of these schemes. Instead I'd set up my own scheme and get the sucker for free.

Seeing the weak link yet?

Boombastic wrote: »

You expect the government to just keep handing you money for sitting on your hole?
    Sure why not just cancel social welfare entirely, society will be graaaand. We had nearly full employment in the good times, people aren't on the dole because they are lazy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    I certainly wouldn't employ someone who'd go for one of these schemes. Instead I'd set up my own scheme and get the sucker for free.

Seeing the weak link yet?

Then once they have experience, you lose that employee to someone who will pay them and you have to start from scratch.

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    Sure why not just cancel social welfare entirely, society will be graaaand. We had nearly full employment in the good times, people aren't on the dole because they are lazy.

People who are offered an opportunity to contribute something for the free monies they are getting but refuse - that is lazy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Folks, surely this is a troll thread.
    My understanding is that the current schemes are all based on 19.5 hours per week. Maybe I'm wrong ?

Maybe OP could clarify.

Also refusing to attend TUS scheme results in payments being stopped for 8-10 weeks. Rightly so too.

Then once they have experience, you lose that employee to someone who will pay them and you have to start from scratch.
    That only works in highly skilled areas, where internships might have some use. Office jobs, filing? What? Use your own damn profits to pay the poor bastards and stop leeching off my taxes.

More fit for FAS to overhaul its laughable training schemes and put people into useful educational areas. That's what we should be doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

In fairness, if you got in there and actually did some work, kept your head down they would likely take you on full-time on an entry level basis.
    My emboldening.

Explain?

Is there some sort of evidence to suggest that in an Irish job-bridge context?

bbam wrote: »
    Also refusing to attend TUS scheme results in payments being stopped for 8-10 weeks. Rightly so too.
    And there we have it, forced labour for private businesses. Isn't that lovely. Why not slap a bar code on their heads while you're at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33 miss.aok

I think you were dead right to throw it away. ( the responses really have made me angry)

Some people forget that it costs to work (travel, uniform, maybe food etc.)and not getting a proper wage means your social welfare is going to suffer big time.

Ye you might get experience but right now experience isnt getting me anywhere. I worked 9months for free and for what? to end back up on the scratcher. I been applying for jobs everyday and getting no response. I am educated and hardworking yet- even working for free isnt seem to be showing companies I am good.

So basically op u are better off spending you time doing a fas course and looking for work.

and if you are going to work for free do something you enjoy e.g. if u like animals theres internships for grooming etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Folks, surely this is a troll thread.
    My understanding is that the current schemes are all based on 19.5 hours per week. Maybe I'm wrong ?

Maybe OP could clarify.

You are. Those schemes can be anything from 30 to 39 hours per week.

For them to be anyways fair, the company should have to pay the €238 a week. It's a joke that they can effectively get the governement to pay for their staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

hmmmm hard choice

I get what you are saying about "working for free" i.e. some employer gets free labour from you. don't agree with that.

However,

50 euro a week vs mental sanity, focus, something to get up for, social interaction

I think I would have to do SOMETHING to keep my occupied if I were on the dole, for my mental health.

Do you volunteer in a charity maybe. Do it that way.

I don't believe in employers getting free labour.

miss.aok wrote: »
    Some people forget that it costs to work (travel, uniform, maybe food etc.)and not getting a proper wage means your social welfare is going to suffer big time.
    Proof that the dole is too high if it stops people going back to work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Yes. I can see companies absolutely lusting after full time employees when they can get work done for free.

Actually I reckon one of the reasons people used to be loath to go back to work a couple of years ago was the fact that it would take so long to sort out the dole. When I went on the dole 3 years ago it took 10 weeks to sort out...which is madness.

They have really gotten their **** together recently, 2 days max at the moment to sort out the dole payment. This is obviously a lot better as people can easily go from the dole to a short term contract and back again without major stress or money worries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

hmmmm hard choice

I get what you are saying about "working for free" i.e. some employer gets free labour from you. don't agree with that.

However,

50 euro a week vs mental sanity, focus, something to get up for, social interaction

I think I would have to do SOMETHING to keep my occupied if I were on the dole, for my mental health.

Do you volunteer in a charity maybe. Do it that way.

I don't believe in employers getting free labour.

You'd want to be some dull bastard if you require indentured slavery to enthuse you enough to get out of bed of a morning. That or you're Bill Cullen.

Which is the same thing

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

for fas/dole crowd

Do you have any work experience from previous jobs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

miss.aok wrote: »
    I think you were dead right to throw it away. ( the responses really have made me angry)

Ye you might get experience but right now experience isnt getting me anywhere. I worked 9months for free and for what? to end back up on the scratcher. I been applying for jobs everyday and getting no response. I am educated and hardworking yet- even working for free isnt seem to be showing companies I am good.

So basically op u are better off spending you time doing a fas course and looking for work.

and if you are going to work for free do something you enjoy e.g. if u like animals theres internships for grooming etc.
    I think this is a little more realistic.

People seem to be forgetting that up until a few years back Ireland had negligible long term unemployment. There were about 20,000 Long term unemployed people in the country at one point - as low as the figure was ever going to get.

That didn't stop the unemployment figure rapidly rising to 8, 10, then 14%.

There are plenty of well qualified people with plenty of experience out there on the Dole. Employers are not always taking them, and I have no doubt that is sometimes because they can get less skilled jobseekers to work for free. There is no serious skills shortage in the types of jobs that are suitable for internship programes, i.e. menial office work and so on.

I say this as the sibling of someone who lost her job in a large Dublin bank only to see it re-advertised as an internship for young graduates a short while later. The thing is being handled ridiculously poorly.

lol yeah right man work for ****ing free get real :mad:

no i dont i love a job so i can move but work for free really

lol yeah right man work for ****ing free get real :mad:

It's not for free, you get your social welfare + a bit, better than being a scrounger

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

quangos like fas and job bridge create unemployment as they occupy hog up what could be a paid job advertised,for example tesco decide turn around and look for free labour off of job bridge as opposed to looking for paid min wage workers..there job blockers ffs

In sure the OP would only be too happy to go back to work. HOWEVER, she is being asked to actually work for free to benefit some big company.
    How is that right. Would you do it?

You gotta look at the bigger picture.

• Advertisement

MarkR wrote: »
    Do you have any work experience from previous jobs?

yeah dude i worked as a porter for 6 years till the cutback and i was left go :( last one in first one out

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    You are. Those schemes can be anything from 30 to 39 hours per week.

For them to be anyways fair, the company should have to pay the €238 a week. It's a joke that they can effectively get the governement to pay for their staff.

Also other than job bridge and similar I thought the schemes were limited to community and not for profit organisations.

I still call TROLL unless OP comes on with more details. !

Bambi wrote: »
    You'd want to be some dull bastard if you require indentured slavery to enthuse you enough to get out of bed of a morning. That or you're Bill Cullen.

Which is the same thing

read my posted again re. voluntary work.

and in reality there ARE people that get up out of bed and head directly to the couch to watch jeremy kyle :rolleyes:

In sure the OP would only be too happy to go back to work. HOWEVER, she is being asked to actually work for free to benefit some big company.
    How is that right. Would you do it?

You gotta look at the bigger picture.

what big company? I don't see mention of the size of the company in the OP, how do you know it wasn't for a community organisation or some such?

It's not for free, you get your social welfare + a bit, better than being a scrounger

Can you honestly say you would happily work a job for considerably less than minimum wage?

Have you done this yourself? What would you consider to be the advantages?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Sean Bateman

Assuming this isn't a windup, the OP's benefits should now be cut to zero on the basis that he / she has refused to work.

The country's bankrupt and cannot afford to subsidise wasters.

• Advertisement

Can you honestly say you would happily work a job for considerably less than minimum wage?

Have you done this yourself? What would you consider to be the advantages?

Yes. Better than sitting on the dole, loosing your skills as the time goes by, with an attitude of entitlement

no, it is for free
    OP gets dole whether she does the work or not

Loser: Worker being offer job for zero pay
    Winner: Big company who gets "free labour" therefore helping to keep unemployment up. If the company wants her, let them pay for her. This country is warped.

Also other than job bridge and similar I thought the schemes were limited to community and not for profit organisations.

I still call TROLL unless OP comes on with more details. !

im no troll as you put it lol im 23 back living at home when i finished school at 17 i got a job in the hosiptal as a porter in limerick i was there for 6 years until cutbacks and left go :( i loved that job

but this letter make me angry the 50 wasent included lol

i love on 101 euro a week all and i mean ALL goes to my mother my dad will not take money off me but the irish mammy always will

to pay bills and stuff while i look for work :(

no, it is for free
    OP gets dole whether she does the work or not

Loser: Work
    Winner: Big company who gets "free labour" therefore helping to keep unemployment up. If the company wants her, let them pay for her. This country is warped.

Again, where is the mention of the 'big company' everyone seems to be ranting about?

what big company? I don't see mention of the size of the company in the OP, how do you know it wasn't for a community organisation or some such?

voluntary work you mean?

• Advertisement

Assuming this isn't a windup, the OP's benefits should now be cut to zero on the basis that he / she has refused to work.

The country's bankrupt and cannot afford to subsidise wasters.

how is working for free helping me

my m8 got same letter to work in curry lumping freezers onto trucks for free :mad: its a scam

Yes. Better than sitting on the dole, loosing your skills as the time goes by, with an attitude of entitlement

That only really answers the first question....the latter part is really just you projecting your assumptions about people on the dole.

Personally, I don't buy this "losing your skills" issue I have to say, or at least not as a catch all. I worked jobs ten years ago I could walk into tomorrow and the environment and required knowledge would be no different. I worked jobs 3 years ago that would be vastly different and require some catch up.

Seeing as you have pointed out the size of the company wasn't mentioned in a reply to another posters point, how do you know what skills the job would entail, or what advantage it would bring the OP with regard to looking for full time work?

voluntary work you mean?

No.

im no troll as you put it lol im 23 back living at home when i finished school at 17 i got a job in the hosiptal as a porter in limerick i was there for 6 years until cutbacks and left go :( i loved that job

i love on 101 euro a week all and i mean ALL goes to my mother my dad will not take money off me but the irish mammy always will

So here was an opportunity for you to diversify your skills and gain new ones in an area you have not previously worked in..and you turn it down to sit on the dole. Benefits should be cut.

What scheme were you requested to go on?
    We're you being asked to work for a profit making company?

No.

you gotta explain then bombastic how you think that working for free is fine - the poor worker gets nothing while the company gets FREE labour -

ahem no id do anything for a job that PAYES

god people are stupid work for free :rolleyes: give me strenght

What scheme were you requested to go on?
    We're you being asked to work for a profit making company?

work in gargage in raheen where they sell cars in the office

work in gargage in raheen where they sell cars in the office

On what sort of scheme?
    I thought only job bridge placed people with private companies and this should get you €50 to cover any costs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Sean Bateman

no, it is for free
    OP gets dole whether she does the work or not.

Which is why an individual's benefits should be cut if he / she refuses to work or join one of these schemes.

The final paragraph of the letter received by the OP should read as follows:

"Please note that in the event that you do not confirm your acceptance of this offer within 14 days of the date of this letter, your social welfare payments will be cut by 50%. You will appreciate that we are inundated with requests for such opportunities from unemployed individuals. If you do not accept our current offer, your case will cease to be a priority for this office. However, in the unlikely event that we are in a position to offer you another opportunity and you do not accept same, your social welfare entitlements will be cut to zero."

• Advertisement
Advertisement