Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So Got This Letter in the Door This Morning

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Good to know the spirit of subservience that helped land us in this mess is alive and well.

I think it was the culture of entitlement that done that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

Boombastic wrote: »
    What questions are these then? Where have I been proven wrong? There are many posts here by people who have actually participated in the scheme who found it beneficial, but yet you rant on about fridge lifters, with no experience of the scheme themselves?

I have a addressed a lot of questions, while you have side stepped mine. It quite pathetic really if you have to look down on some one to make yourself feel better.
    How much is dutch gold these days?

have no idea - never touched the stuff

as for dodging questions - fire away , im here all night
    but feel free to go back over the thread and ACTUALLY see the questions and points made AT YOU , that you ignored because lets face you have no good answer

and as i can see you think your funny, but in reality are just another random smart arse , i have already pointed out the lifting fridges was a example
    i even highlited the word example
    but i suppose you might have caught it if you were not trying to degrade people on the dole with your childish dutch gold comments

and by the by, as a employer i would not touch a arse licking individual who was willing to do 40 hrs for 2.5 a hour - to garnish his cv or mouth off how better for it he is
    you are a very narrow minded person with a sad outlook on life
    as i said , tragic

arse lickers never get off their knees

padma wrote: »
    How you doing tajd. There a job for a night porter in the strand. Details on jobs.ie. paid job which means a real job none of that work for free crap. Anybody here who advocates it should walk in to their boss in the morning and tell them to put them on the scheme.

Why? They're surviving by themselves as it is.

dj jarvis wrote: »
    but have you read how much the op said he was going to get for a 40 hr a week placement - that is just a rip - simple

now if the give him his dole plus a training benefits then he should take it , but as it stand he was 100% right to ignore this

as it was reported the OP would receive 2 euro fifty cent per hour, is the minimum wage now dead ? now there i was thinking slavery was abolished

And what's on the other side of this "rip"? Loads of money for no hours work. Dole should be a short time thing.. I did it for 2 months myself. Much more than that and these schemes should start looking inviting. The simple fact that someone had the mental capacity to deal with the boredom of not working for 2 years would be enough for me to not hire them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

What questions are these then? Where have I been proven wrong? There are many posts here by people who have actually participated in the scheme who found it beneficial, but yet you rant on about fridge lifters, with no experience of the scheme themselves?

I have a addressed a lot of questions, while you have side stepped mine. It quite pathetic really if you have to look down on some one to make yourself feel better.
    How much is dutch gold these days?

And who are you to take the high and mighty with people? You're on a bloody Job Bridge scheme, not exactly contributing to the human endeavour like George Stokes or Robert Boyle did, are you?

What level are you on now?

Are cans of dutch gold out and flagans of cider in these days?:pac:

Lazy people will always be useless workers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

6 tuborg for 7 euro , where have you been .

[

mmmmmm , so you call other lazy yet you have 80+ posts in one day

yyyeeeaaaaaa

dont give up the day job , oh wait :eek:

i would give 10 people who were on the dole a chance quicker than i would give some sniveling little ass who thinks they are better than others

now little troll , of to bed with ya , you never know - you might get 100 posts tomorrow if you really try

Ah, the use of the 'pac' emoticon, an educated and insightful retort. I'm teetotal, actually.

No one's debating that lazy people are useless workers, but you still can't make the connection that not settling for being paid the going rate for the work you do is equal to being lazy.

Anyway, how long do you have to be on the dole to qualify for Job Bridge? 3 months? Why couldn't you find a job in that time? Clearly you weren't looking hard enough. You're obviously a lazy oaf! :rolleyes:

mmmmmm , so you call other lazy yet you have 80+ posts in one day

yyyeeeaaaaaa

dont give up the day job , oh wait :eek:

i would give 10 people who were on the dole a chance quicker than i would give some sniveling little ass who thinks they are better than others

now little troll , of to bed with ya , you never know - you might get 100 posts tomorrow if you really try

Off to bed:eek: it's only 9.46pm, I'm not that lazy:p offie doesn't shut till 10pm, have to go down and stock up for tomorrow. I hope the weather is good so I can catch a few rays in the park.

• Advertisement

Ah, the use of the 'pac' emoticon, an educated and insightful retort. I'm teetotal, actually.

No one's debating that lazy people are useless workers, but you still can't make the connection that not settling for being paid the going rate for the work you do is equal to being lazy.

Anyway, how long do you have to be on the dole to qualify for Job Bridge? 3 months? Why couldn't you find a job in that time? Clearly you weren't looking hard enough. You're obviously a lazy oaf! :rolleyes:

So one m inute it's slave labour and the next it's being lazy:rolleyes: good argument you've got going for yourself, stoned perhaps?

i think you mean a unemployable lazy oaf , only way that this person got a "job" is by doing it for free - what a concept - the dole q will be empty by the weekend

a willing horse will always be worked - dont you forget that now

So one m inute it's slave labour and the next it's being lazy:rolleyes: good argument you've got going for yourself, stoned perhaps?

Semantics - the last port of call of someone loosing an argument.

Stoned? Yes, because that's what all teetotallers do on a Wednesday night.

Semantics - the last port of call of someone loosing an argument.

Stoned? Yes, because that's what all teetotallers do on a Wednesday night.

What argument exactly am I loosing? Your argument that it shouldn't be allowed because you think it's wrong or the one about moving fridges? or the one about being used as slave labour, while at the same time being lazy? Or the one about the person beside you earning more?

I can't follow the bizarre logic

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭PrincessLola

If you don't want it I'd do that job?

What argument exactly am I loosing? Your argument that it shouldn't be allowed because you think it's wrong or the one about moving fridges? or the one about being used as slave labour, while at the same time being lazy? Or the one about the person beside you earning more?

I can't follow the bizarre logic

Good for you that you got on the JB scheme because your reading comprehension isn't up to much, evidentially.

Think i'll bow out of here before it's locked, or in case Boombastic stays up too late with their witty, intelligent replies and is late for 'work' in the morning.

• Advertisement

Good for you that you got on the JB scheme because your reading comprehension isn't up to much, evidentially.

Think i'll bow out of here before it's locked, or in case Boombastic stays up too late with their witty, intelligent replies and is late for 'work' in the morning.

Nah, I'm jacking it in tomorrow, few cans of turborg down the outside the social crying 'I'm entitled', start about lunch time

If you don't want it I'd do that job?

commendable , but would you do 40hr per week for one 100 euro , and no mention of the possibility of a permanent job after it ?

because some have been shouting the assumption that all employers would see this a sign of good character and a eagerness to work , and granted some would

but to ignore the fact that the majority, in my opinion are laughing their ass off at these gob sh1tes who are, for want of a better description slaves
    this system is being abused , and this fact has been acknowledged by the people running it

as i said its laudable to see ANYONE try and make it work , but a letter in the door offering what was offered is a disgrace

and this is coming from a employer
    christ - i could put a job up tomorrow if i dont have to pay them, and dont have to take them on !!!! i could even let some of my staff go , **** paying them

i wish you luck in finding a job , i really do , but i would think long and hard before going near this joke of a programme

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Being on the dole is demoralizing in itself for many people. Self esteem for those individuals on the dole who actually want to get proper work takes a heavy hit if you find yourself stuck in the system for a period of time.

Being offered to do work like the OP was, but to do it for a rate which is not representative of the normal standard is not only insulting but patronizing and condescending to people on jobseekers. A sizable amount of people with experience and education on the dole being asked to do jobs like stacking shelves or doing the grounds keeping at a local GAA pitch is a cop out. Being asked to do a job that you may have been involved in before but now do it for basically free is a cop out.

If people want to be on it fair play, obviously ye do see a benefit to being on it and that's good. I'm sure it does work for some and they do get active employment after the 6-9 month period.

Personally, my experience of it, I found a lot of what is offered is not upgrading your skills and it doesn't enhance your career prospects. It might show that you filled in your time and you kept yourself active but in truth you can do that without a Job Bridge and saying that you declined an offer like the Op did and get tarnish with a scrounger brush is a bit much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I got laid off last month. I was on a 12 hour contract in a well known department store, but often worked 20-24 hours a week due to staff shortage.

I just finished 1st year in college, my college is 3 hours away from my home. Last year I had had saved enough to pay my fees, my rent and living expenses for the year. Now that I've lost my job I just don't have the money for all three next year. I can afford to pay my fees, but that's about it.

I'm the second eldest of 6 kids, even if my parents had the money I wouldn't take it. I'm not entitled to dole as I'm in full time education. I've been working for nearly 5 years and I'm entitled to nothing.

I'm desperately looking for another job but nowhere is interested. I wasn't on big money in my last job, I'd be willing to work for minimum wage, but I've only had one interview and not heard back from the rest, even though I've handed out 50 CVs.

There's a good chance I won't be going back to college in September cause I have no money for rent and living expenses. It just seems really unfair to me. If I were the OP I'd have thrown it in the bin too. Work experience is one thing, slave labour is another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aligator_am

Just wondering if all unemployed folks on here are aware of the online courses you can do through FAS? You need to be unemployed for 6 months before you qualify I think but some of them may be useful, doubt it would do any harm to have on your CV.

Sure have a goo on http://www.ecollege.ie/site/home.html

Hope it's of help to someone :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭PrincessLola

i wish you luck in finding a job , i really do , but i would think long and hard before going near this joke of a programme

And don't worry, I'm not eligible for jobsbridge anyway, I'm under 24 so I'm not eligible for the dole either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭BrianJD

I can understand why people are wary of the scheme. Some of the positions offered are really low or non skilled roles. I took on a guy in our company and he started on Monday training as a butcher.

It does suit both parties. In our case we will be training the lad as a butcher which is a valid skill. This will take time and money on our part but as a result we will have an extra pair of hands with minimal costs and risk.

I will have a 6 month contract for a butcher in October and if this lad proves himself, he will be offered employment with us. It is only 6 months but it's an extra opportunity for him to get his foot in the door.

It all depends on the company and the training and I think it's up to Jobbridge to monitor it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

BrianJD wrote: »
    I can understand why people are wary of the scheme. Some of the positions offered are really low or non skilled roles. I took on a guy in our company and he started on Monday training as a butcher.

It does suit both parties. In our case we will be training the lad as a butcher which is a valid skill. This will take time and money on our part but as a result we will have an extra pair of hands with minimal costs and risk.

I will have a 6 month contract for a butcher in October and if this lad proves himself, he will be offered employment with us. It is only 6 months but it's an extra opportunity for him to get his foot in the door.

It all depends on the company and the training and I think it's up to Jobbridge to monitor it.

Eh isnt that what apprenticeships are for ? I thought butcher was a recognised trade is it not
    ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

I'd go nuts sitting looking at the four walls all day. Just because I'm on a scheme doesn't mean I have stopped applying for other jobs.:)

Dog grooming - can't you do that from your home?

Yes. I looked into in before. There are correspondance courses you can do. They post out DVDs demonstrating how different breeds are groomed etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

And don't worry, I'm not eligible for jobsbridge anyway, I'm under 24 so I'm not eligible for the dole either.

Once you are on jobseekers allowance or benefit for 3 months you qualify. You may not be entitled to jobseekers benefit, but allowance is means tested and you should be able to get something. It is just lower if you are under 25. I am 23 and qualify for benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

eviltwin wrote: »
    No one wants to work for 50 quid a week but you do what you have to do. I lost my job before the JB scheme was introduced. I was very quickly bored of having nothing to do and decided to volunteer. I found an organisation and starting working for them and it gave me a sense of purpose, some dignity and something productive to do and even though it was costing me money to do it with the cost of transport etc I was glad to do it.

9 months after I started and still on the dole they offered me a job, I never would have been able to get a foot in the door without the fact I volunteered and bear in mind during that time I was getting nada for my trouble. I know not everyone will be offered a full time job after JB but its got to be better than doing nothing, it opens door, gives experience, helps with networking etc

nobody has any problem with volunteering with a charity organization whether working or on the dole. However what people DO have a problem with is getting educated and trained people to work for nothing for a private company who has to pay the ZILCH for their time.

Its a dis-service to people and undermines the whole worth ethic of the country. If people can get someone for nothing why bother employing anybody at all. I can't believe people agree with this.

Let the makers of this new law work for nothing - pigs flying in the sky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

Our company took on an intern 10 months ago, on the €50 a week scheme, and guess what, he was trained fully in very marketable skills, and has now been taken on full time.
    We are now looking for another intern for a different department. It can work and work very well.
    My brother took a job in Tesco paying less than his dole, and he was taken on full time.
    Sometimes you just need to get up off your hole, take a chance and get in there. You never know what might happen.

barbiegirl wrote: »
    Our company took on an intern 10 months ago, on the €50 a week scheme, and guess what, he was trained fully in very marketable skills, and has now been taken on full time.
    We are now looking for another intern for a different department. It can work and work very well.
    My brother took a job in Tesco paying less than his dole, and he was taken on full time.
    Sometimes you just need to get up off your hole, take a chance and get in there. You never know what might happen.

serious question - is there any reason why your employer will not interview people, pick one, and pay them the going rate?

BrianJD wrote: »

Well done for giving someone the chance to upskill. How dare you give some one a chance to up skill - you should not train them, only have them moving fridges.
    OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Yes. I looked into in before. There are correspondance courses you can do. They post out DVDs demonstrating how different breeds are groomed etc.
    Of course you can - if your motivated to do so. As I pointed out in another post to do a course in a plc (Killester) would cost in the region of €4,500. The pposter wouldn't be happy with receiving that value in training though, free childcare would have to be thrown in aswell:rolleyes: No sense of entitlement there:D

How many fridges could they move and hour?
    Seemingly headhunters beat the door down while your sitting on your hole

All positive stories will be ignored no doubt, but fair play to anyone who is willing to do something to help themselves

serious question - is there any reason why your employer will not interview people, pick one, and pay them the going rate?

Yes, it's called a recession:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

How many fridges could they move and hour?

No fridge moving, instead when I say marketable, I mean very marketable. Think social media marketing, project planning, seo, ppc all those lovely buzz words that every marketing dept in the country needs. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

you are missing the point...to condone blatant opportunistic exploitation by employers because it happens to be fruitful for some jobseekers is total bull****. and is a road to free labour where one must 'prove' themselves for little or no pay(even if they have the qualification)...

you are missing the point...to condone blatant opportunistic exploitation by employers because it happens to be fruitful for some jobseekers is total bull****. and is a road to free labour where one must 'prove' themselves for little or no pay(even if they have the qualification)...

So people stop trying to upskill themselves and sit on their hole, good plan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Haven't read the full thread, and only discovered it just now, but the OP should take that opportunity with both hands - who knows what will come from it.

I just got signed up this morning for a CE scheme in our local soccer club - i start in August, and will be doing 19 hours a week.

Delighted to get it, it's worth 20 notes a week more to me, but after over 2 years on the dole, i'd have done it for nothing just to be doing something.

Yes, it's called a recession:rolleyes:

LOL - naive

recession = companies can resort to free labour, by using people unfortunate enough to have fallen on hard times. What a crock.

by the way, you call this a recession? You obviously weren't around in the 80's.

This is a recession for the pampered.

By the way, they keep talking about ECONOMIC GROWTH.

Try PAYING people for their time instead of using them for nothing - there is the first step in getting people back to work.

No fridge moving, instead when I say marketable, I mean very marketable. Think social media marketing, project planning, seo, ppc all those lovely buzz words that every marketing dept in the country needs. :D

again, any reason he did not want to pay the going rate for this worker?

LOL - naive

recession = companies can resort to free labour, by using people unfortunate enough to have fallen on hard times. What a crock.

by the way, you call this a recession? You obviously weren't around in the 80's.

Try PAYING people for their time instead of using them for nothing - there is the first step in getting people back to work.

Yes, better to sit on your ar$e whinging

Yes, better to sit on your ar$e whinging

you are the only one that seems to be whinging bombastic. :D:D

you are the only one that seems to be whinging bombastic. :D:D

Maybe because some posters here are looking down their nose at people who are at least trying, all the while they are scrounging off the dole and coming across as if they wouldn't work in a fit, because they are entitled to free monies to drink turburg and play PS3 games all day

• Advertisement

again, any reason he did not want to pay the going rate for this worker?

It's a small irish indigenous company, who having down graded staff 2 years ago are now growing again. The scheme allowed the company to take on someone with no skills, but the right qualifications and mentality, and train them with no cost to the company. Now they are fully trained, they are on a decent wage. Don't see the problem, the guy now has very valuable experience and a full time paid job. The company has a new fully trained employee.

Maybe because some posters here are looking down their nose at people who are at least trying, all the while they are scrounging off the dole and coming across as if they wouldn't work in a fit, because they are entitled to free monies to drink turburg and play PS3 games all day

can you point those posters out for me? I think its just the way you are thinking to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭judgefudge

Why wouldn't you do it... At least to get out there and do something, learn skills, make contacts and possibly even get a job? Why wouldn't you at least try?? It's not like you're doing else.

A lot of people responding to this thread seem to be bleating on about "free labour" and are ignoring the good examples of people who got paying jobs at the end of it. I know someone myself who started one of these schemes and is now in a full time position for 30000 a year.

It makes me sick to think of paying taxes so that people can get handouts and turn their noses up at any work that comes their way. Why should you get the dole for doing nothing? The company may not be paying you but you are getting paid. Get off your arse and try.

It's a small irish indigenous company, who having down graded staff 2 years ago are now growing again. The scheme allowed the company to take on someone with no skills, but the right qualifications and mentality, and train them with no cost to the company. Now they are fully trained, they are on a decent wage. Don't see the problem, the guy now has very valuable experience and a full time paid job. The company has a new fully trained employee.

what do you mean "downgraded" staff - do you mean that he got rid of staff.

So he gets rid of staff, saves on their wages, and then decides to get somebody for nothing - is this correct?

hope that phenomenon doesn't catch on. :o

could he not have re-hired one of the people that he "downgraded"?

judgefudge wrote: »
    Why wouldn't you do it... At least to get out there and do something, learn skills, make contacts and possibly even get a job? Why wouldn't you at least try?? It's not like you're doing else.

A lot of people responding to this thread seem to be bleating on about "free labour" and are ignoring the good examples of people who got paying jobs at the end of it. I know someone myself who started one of these schemes and is now in a full time position for 30000 a year.

It makes me sick to think of paying taxes so that people can get handouts and turn their noses up at any work that comes their way. Why should you get the dole for doing nothing? The company may not be paying you but you are getting paid. Get off your arse and try.

Exactly. But it seems the dole must be too high and the lifestyle too cushy for some people, so why should they bother?

Benefits need to be cut for those that refuse work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,237 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Internships were designed for very-high end jobs so that employees could prove their worth and gain experience in things that require huge expertise, like the legal profession. Interns who work hard are generally almost guaranteed a job with the employer, or if not, with the industry in general.

They were not designed for companies to grab free office clerks, with no guarantee of employment. Tesco tried to use this scheme to hire shelf stackers for no pay. There's a fairly huge difference between using interns for unskilled labour and giving someone a genuine, short term opportunity to prove they are capable in a certain professional field.

• Advertisement

LOL - naive

No point in going around in a circle with Bombastic, all this was said yesterday and any time they couldn't answer a question with something other than calling people lazy they'd say 'oh, going for a few cans'.

I'd say i can't believe they're still spouting the same unreasonable nonsense, but then they're quite obviously a troll.

Anyway Bombastic, i thought you were busy being played for a fool by both employer and government at Job Bridge today, how the hell are finding the time to post like your life depended on it? :confused:

what do you mean "downgraded" staff - do you mean that he got rid of staff.

So he gets rid of staff, saves on their wages, and then decides to get somebody for nothing - is this correct?

hope that phenomenon doesn't catch on. :o

could he not have re-hired one of the people that he "downgraded"?

3 years ago he had to let go of staff as the company lost 50% of it's business. Through hard work on everybodies part they have grown back and taken on more staff. In the past year they have taken on 5 full time qualified and experienced staff. Plus 1 intern.

Why am I even bothering to answer this. Of course everyone on the dole should just sit there, do nothing and let those of us who work our asses off pay for you to sit in front of the telly all day.

Sometimes I think it is the employed who have it wrong. We should quit because we are obviously too good for work.

Exactly. But it seems the dole must be too high and the lifestyle too cushy for some people, so why should they bother?

Benefits need to be cut for those that refuse work.

ye really need to look at life a different way, instead of trashing people on the dole as useless, lazy, and good for nothing. this is where you are WAY off the mark. Being on the dole does not mean that you can be made to work for nothing. The dole is there for EVERYBODY - including yourselves for when you need it. Another ill thought out cliche'd sentence is "why should I be paying for them out of my taxes". I would ask you to check what your taxes ARE used for before bleating the cliché's.

Being on the dole and receiving benefits DOES NOT mean that you are so worthless you should be working for nothing. It's a nice way to take whatever bit of self esteem you have away from people.

In any form of democracy however, people who hire people PAY THEM. People who work for people GET PAID.

if a company hires these unpaid interns - is there a clause in the contract that these unpaid people helping to build their business will get a share of the profits for their time and effort. I don't think so.

Wise up people.

No point in going around in a circle with Bombastic, all this was said yesterday and any time they couldn't answer a question with something other than calling people lazy they'd say 'oh, going for a few cans'.

I'd say i can't believe they're still spouting the same unreasonable nonsense, but then they're quite obviously a troll.

Anyway Bombastic, i thought you were being played for a chump by both a company and the gevernment at Job Bridge today, how the hell are finding the time to post like your life depended on it? :confused:

I get lots of time in between moving fridges.

I see you have lots of time sitting on your hole to post, too wet for the park is it?

ye really need to look at life a different way, instead of trashing people on the dole as useless, lazy, and good for nothing. this is where you are WAY off the mark. Being on the dole does not mean that you can be made to work for nothing. The dole is there for EVERYBODY - including yourselves for when you need it. Another ill thought out cliche'd sentence is "why should I be paying for them out of my taxes". I would ask you to check what your taxes ARE used for before bleating the cliché's.

Being on the dole and receiving benefits DOES NOT mean that you are so worthless you should be working for nothing. It's a nice way to take whatever bit of self esteem you have away from people.

In any form of democracy however, people who hire people PAY THEM. People who work for people GET PAID.

if a company hires these unpaid interns - is there a clause in the contract that these unpaid people helping to build their business will get a share of the profits for their time and effort. I don't think so.

Wise up people.

Point out where I said anything about taxes?

Too lazy to read my posts are you?

• Advertisement
Advertisement