Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So Got This Letter in the Door This Morning

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

I'm done here also - I agree about bombastic replies...

if bombastic and barbie want to work for nothing - fire ahead, if that what ye think ye are worth. I'm sure there are plenty willing to "train" ye. :D

Other people will hold out for "fair play". An honest days work for an honest days pay. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

Boombastic wrote: »
    Point out where I said anything about taxes?

Too lazy to read my posts are you?

I was talking in the plural bombastic - you will see that if you re-read my post again. (maybe some people SHOULD work for nothing). :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

I'm done here also - I agree about bombastic replies...

if bombastic and barbie want to work for nothing - fire ahead, if that what ye think ye are worth. I'm sure there are plenty willing to "train" ye. :D

Other people will hold out for "fair play". An honest days work for an honest days pay. :D

So what honest day's work are you doing for your dole and benefits?

Let me guess...nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Fizzlesque

sdeire wrote: »
    Internships were designed for very-high end jobs so that employees could prove their worth and gain experience in things that require huge expertise, like the legal profession. Interns who work hard are generally almost guaranteed a job with the employer, or if not, with the industry in general.

They were not designed for companies to grab free office clerks, with no guarantee of employment. Tesco tried to use this scheme to hire shelf stackers for no pay. There's a fairly huge difference between using interns for unskilled labour and giving someone a genuine, short term opportunity to prove they are capable in a certain professional field.

This would be my feeling on the matter, too. Years ago I did a C.E. scheme which was 19 hours per week and a small bit of money on top of your dole (can't remember how much) and it was great for getting experience (relevant experience, not just how to file and photocopy) and lasted one year only.

Is there a time frame on these Job Bridge schemes? I'd never heard of them until I read about them on this thread.

The company should be made to offer the person in question some top up money though, if you're struggling to pay rent and feed yourself on the dole (which many are) having to be out of the house all day for 5 days a week you're going to need money for food and travel. A nice cold pint after work on a Friday should be part of the deal too :D

A lot of the experience I've accumulated over the year (25 years since I left school) has been down to doing courses and schemes and being trained to do stuff in a job that wasn't part of my initial job spec. My CV is pretty impressive now for a girl who never set out to end up where she did.

It's all grist to the mill, but a lot depends on what you're learning - I worked for three days in a bookies years ago and learned quick smart it was not the job for me :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

I get lots of time in between moving fridges.

I see you have lots of time sitting on your hole to post, too wet for the park is it?

I'm in part time employment, full time education. Not allowed to have summer holidays from college now, am i?

You're your own worst enemy here - i've already pointed out on a few occasions that i'm quite a busy person (with better prospects than you, i might add) and that i don't touch drink or drugs with a bargepole, but yet the most intelligent retort you have is implying that i sit round drinking or smoking because i've nothing to do. As a result your comments have SFA weight and you keep making yourself look like an eejit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭judgefudge

I know plenty of people who are happy enough getting their money each week and have absolutely no intention of getting a job. I'm not saying that that's everybody, but there are certainly too many people out there who think that way.

You're not working for nothing, you're working for your benefits!? You're contributing something!

It's up to the government to ensure the schemes are only introduced in companies that aren't exploiting the system. I can understand that point. But even if you got an unskilled job at the end of it, isnt that better than sitting round going mental with boredom?

Fizzlesque wrote: »
    This would be my feeling on the matter, too. Years ago I did a C.E. scheme which was 19 hours per week and a small bit of money on top of your dole (can't remember how much) and it was great for getting experience (relevant experience, not just how to file and photocopy) and lasted one year only.

Is there a time frame on these Job Bridge schemes? I'd never heard of them until I read about them on this thread.

The company should be made to offer the person in question some top up money though, if you're struggling to pay rent and feed yourself on the dole (which many are) having to be out of the house all day for 5 days a week you're going to need money for food and travel. A nice cold pint after work on a Friday should be part of the deal too :D

A lot of the experience I've accumulated over the year (25 years since I left school) has been down to doing courses and schemes and being trained to do stuff in a job that wasn't part of my initial job spec. My CV is pretty impressive now for a girl who never set out to end up where she did.

It's all grist to the mill, but a lot depends on what you're learning - I worked for three days in a bookies years ago and learned quick smart it was not the job for me :p

Yes there is a time limit and an extra €50 on top of your dole

But the dole is obviously too much if people don't need the extra money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

Believe me I don't work for nothing, with 17 years experience and time spent constantly upskilling I am lucky and have a really good job.
    But then so does our previous intern. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18 KiethM89

for fas/dole crowd

we see that your interested in working in a office

i was like :D

40 hours a week full time on a scheme

(for free no mention of that 50 euro) :mad:

what a ****ing kick in the teeth :(

straight in the bin it went

what a waste of time money paper ink etc :rolleyes:

My spidey troll senses are tingling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

KiethM89 wrote: »
    My spidey troll senses are tingling

You spelled Keith wrong

• Advertisement

I'm open to correction here but I just checked the job bridge website and tesco have no position advertised

No fridge movers needed either

Can anyone provide a link to these positions about tescos and fridge movers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

for fas/dole crowd

we see that your interested in working in a office

i was like :D

40 hours a week full time on a scheme

(for free no mention of that 50 euro) :mad:

what a ****ing kick in the teeth :(

straight in the bin it went

what a waste of time money paper ink etc :rolleyes:

I'd love to be getting letters like that OP. All I get is the usual "What efforts are ya making?" letters and an occasional dismal attempt by some uninterested waste of space to "help" me find a job.

I'm open to correction here but I just checked the job bridge website and tesco have no position advertised

No fridge movers needed either

Can anyone provide a link to these positions about tescos and fridge movers?

Hmm, let me Google that for you

OP lives at home with his parents and currently receiving €100/week pocket money for doing nothing from the state. The only incentive that will work in situations like this is to cut benefits

Thats not a link to an actual job - links shown are from 2011 and say those jobs have been pulled.

Link to a current position being offered please

Bit harsh Boombastic. The OP has already said they were in fulltime employment as a hospital porter for 6 years and sadly, they were let go.

Just because a person lives at home doesn't give you the right to class benefits they receive as nothing but pocket money.

Thats not a link to an actual job - links shown are from 2011 and say those jobs have been pulled.

Link to a current position being offered please

Doesn't matter, still stands, Tesco were abusing the scheme.

I get the feeling if i said that the sky was blue, you'd argue i was wrong.

Doesn't matter, still stands, Tesco were abusing the scheme.

I get the feeling if i said that the sky was blue, you'd argue i was wrong.

So because of one company trying to abuse it, nearly a year ago, and whose adverts were pulled the whole scheme is wrong:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

OP lives at home with his parents and currently receiving €100/week pocket money for doing nothing from the state. The only incentive that will work in situations like this is to cut benefits

The system is in place to cut people who make no effort. But the problem is that those running that system are by and large incompetent and incapable of running it properly. If they cannot do their jobs properly now they wont be able to do it if you decide to get tough on people.

We need to get rid of the deadwood from the public sector positions and hire people who are more capable. Given the amount of people from all backgrounds currently unemployed it shouldnt be that to fill positions with capable people. The people who I have dealt with in Fas/SW office and other areas have been unhelpful and lazy. I recently had an hour long meeting with some idiot in the dole office which amounted to her telling me to go to Fas and handing me an application form for a course which closed the previous week.

• Advertisement

So because of one company trying to abuse it, nearly a year ago, and whose adverts were pulled the whole scheme is wrong:confused:

Oh look, if you don't get what myself and other posters have been pointing out to you after 18 or so pages then you really are not the sharpest tool in the box (but we already established yesterday that your comprehension skills left a lot to be desired).

You're obviously a troll with nothing to do (120 posts a day after signing up, clearly you're a productive member of society :confused:), but i'm off to get on with the rest of my day.

Cheers for the giggles.

Wasn't Hertz or one of the other car rental companies at Dublin airport also signed up with JB? Something about a logistical position within a multi national which meant you were moving cars from the car park to the front pickup area!

Oh look, if you don't get what myself and other posters have been pointing out to you after 18 or so pages then you really are not the sharpest tool in the box (but we already established yesterday that your comprehension skills left a lot to be desired).

You're obviously a troll with nothing to do (120 posts a day after signing up, clearly you're a productive member of society :confused:), but i'm off to get on with the rest of my day.

Cheers for the giggles.

Cans calling and your other dole scrounging mates out of bed are they?

Cans calling and your other dole scrounging mates out of bed are they?

I loathe to quote myself, but i'll give it a spin because you don't seem capable of reading what's in front of you and are ignoring this for the third time
    I'm in part time employment, full time education. Not allowed to have summer holidays from college now, am i?

You're your own worst enemy here - i've already pointed out on a few occasions that i'm quite a busy person (with better prospects than you, i might add) and that i don't touch drink or drugs with a bargepole, but yet the most intelligent retort you have is implying that i sit round drinking or smoking because i've nothing to do. As a result your comments have SFA weight and you keep making yourself look like an eejit.

I loathe to quote myself, but i'll give it a spin because you don't seem capable of reading what's in front of you and are ignoring this for the third time

So you yourself are employed, yet you begrudge other the opportunity to work, sickening attitude really.

So you yourself are employed, yet you begrudge other the opportunity to work, sickening attitude really.

I begrudge employers not paying the going rate. You're not in a job, you're partaking in State sponsored slavery, if you can't grasp that then i feel for you.

• Advertisement

I begrudge employers not paying the going rate. You're not in a job, you're partaking in State sponsored slavery, if you can't grasp that then i feel for you.

Yeah, it's better people are encouraged to sit at home all day.

Yeah, it's better people are encouraged to sit at home all day.

Subservience, it's a great word. Look it up. It's also why you'll ultimately get nowhere in life.

Enjoy.

Subservience, it's a great word. Look it up. It's also why you'll ultimately get nowhere in life.

Enjoy.

Don't be so sure your little course will entitle you to employment once you finish

Don't be so sure your little course will entitle you to employment once you finish

No it doesn't entitle me to a job once it finishes (which will only be a funds spinner for a post grad anyway), but you can guarantee it'll entitle me to better paying, and far more stimulating jobs than your current 'position' that you like to lord over everyone ever will ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭VEN

what do you mean "downgraded" staff - do you mean that he got rid of staff.

So he gets rid of staff, saves on their wages, and then decides to get somebody for nothing - is this correct?

hope that phenomenon doesn't catch on. :o

could he not have re-hired one of the people that he "downgraded"?

that phenomenon has been around for a while. it's happened where conditions are made unbearable for the employee, through different mechanisms, forcing them to leave. then later, that position is filled for less salary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

This is going to on....and on.....and on.....

Fast approaching pointless IMO:rolleyes:

dodzy wrote: »
    This is going to on....and on.....and on.....

Fast approaching pointless IMO:rolleyes:

Yeah, I'm done anyway

We'll agree it's better to be a scrounger than to make any sort of an effort to learn new skills

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

Most likely he would have. Not going to lie, he was stoney broke for those few months, but he got some great projects and experience on his CV during it, so even if he didn't get kept on he was in a stronger position than before.

Apart from anything else, working gives you routine and focus. I've worked some ****TY very low-paid gigs just to keep from signing on again, so I know what I'm talking about.

so your man would have done it even if he did not get the €50 extra, so when he was getting the €50 he was stoney broke so how would he have done it without the extra money,

if what your saying is true there is no way he could of done it without the extra €50, so why would you expect the OP to do it €50 less than your man did?

so your man would have done it even if he did not get the €50 extra, so when he was getting the €50 he was stoney broke so how would he have done it without the extra money,

if what your saying is true there is no way he could of done it without the extra €50, so why would you expect the OP to do it €50 less than your man did?

Look, the OP contributed f**k all to this lengthening thread
    He was trolling
    Scroll back to post #2
    Look at the "thanks" count
    Figure the rest out yourself

/Unsubscribes from thread

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Who would you employ?

Definitely not the OP, or anyone else who begins a sentence with the word 'So'.

Lapin wrote: »
    Definitely not the OP, or anyone else who begins a sentence with the word 'So'.

Interesting stance, you rule out yourself so

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

Interesting stance, you rule out yourself so

:pac:

are you still being condescending , and not answering peoples questions ?
    god the JB job you have must be great - LOADS of free time with it

and as at least 6/7 other people have pointed out , you just ignoring the facts presented to you, and being sarcastic and ignorant in your replies.
    really, it makes you look very childish
    a skill i would suggest getting is humility - spend sometime not being a smart arse and grow up

also - with all you rubbish about dole being to much , and people should be made work bla bla , spending dole on beer ect ect
    you do realize that the OP WORKED for 6 years , and paid into the system he is drawing down , he is FULLY entitled to spend his money on what he wants - because HE EARNED IT - he even paid for your pseudo slavery program

as trolls go your really pretty poor

dj jarvis wrote: »
    are you still being condescending , and not answering peoples questions ?
    god the JB job you have must be great - LOADS of free time with it

and as at least 6/7 other people have pointed out , you just ignoring the facts presented to you, and being sarcastic and ignorant in your replies.
    really, it makes you look very childish
    a skill i would suggest getting is humility - spend sometime not being a smart arse and grow up

Still waiting on the links to the tesco jobs and fridge movers.

also - with all you rubbish about dole being to much , and people should be made work bla bla , spending dole on beer ect ect
    you do realize that the OP WORKED for 6 years , and paid into the system he is drawing down , he is FULLY entitled to spend his money on what he wants - because HE EARNED IT - he even paid for your pseudo slavery program

as trolls go your really pretty poor

I'm persuming you just out of bed. Get out the wrong side did you? Not to worry, you haven't missed the offie.

Still waiting on the links to the tesco jobs and fridge movers.

see , there ya go again , you do know what the word E X A M P L E means dont you?

as others have pointed out numerous times , jobs were advertised for menial positions , ie tesco , who ONLY pulled the jobs because of the outcry , along with the chippers and store jobs
    you can ignore what people are telling you- but even the agency that runs this bull **** have said - they think its being abused

this type of deal works for 3rd level educated people trying to get into high end jobs - not store sweepers or fridge lifters ( again - this is called a example - not to be taken literally )

you just keep banging the pointless mantra of fridge/tesco/dutch gold/dole bla bla bla - and let the adults debate the question in hand

as for me getting out of bed , you really dont read the posts do you ?
    remember yesterday i pointed out to you i own my own business and i employ people ? and i state again , i would NEVER entertain a little lick arse right wing jumped up little nobody who thinks working for free will make the boss like them ...............pppffftttt
    you have no idea - as i said if you spent as much time trying to grow as a person to enlighten yourself as you do spent on boards you might no be so annoying

so whats your post count up to for 48 hours , hit 200 yet - real productive troll

now go away - have beer to drink ( paid for by me - as your "job" is :D )

• Advertisement

The internships in the link were placed in October 2011 so no longer active on jobbridge website. If the internship lasts 9 months the idiot guy/gal who took up the position would just be finishing about now. Would be interested to know how they ot on.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=74768530&postcount=1364

ps: I've been washing my own car since I was 17 (many moons ago) so I have way more experience than any intern and should get the job :D

pps: The kitchen porter job - I have raised 2 kids so go figure :D:D

see , there ya go again , you do know what the word E X A M P L E means dont you?

as others have pointed out numerous times , jobs were advertised for menial positions , ie tesco , who ONLY pulled the jobs because of the outcry , along with the chippers and store jobs
    you can ignore what people are telling you- but even the agency that runs this bull **** have said - they think its being abused

this type of deal works for 3rd level educated people trying to get into high end jobs - not store sweepers or fridge lifters ( again - this is called a example - not to be taken literally )

you just keep banging the pointless mantra of fridge/tesco/dutch gold/dole bla bla bla - and let the adults debate the question in hand

remember yesterday i pointed out to you i own my own business and i employ people ? and i state again , i would NEVER entertain a little lick arse right wing jumped up little nobody who thinks working for free will make the boss like them ...............pppffftttt
    you have no idea - as i said if you spent as much time trying to grow as a person to enlighten yourself as you do spent on boards you might no be so annoying

so whats your post count up to for 48 hours , hit 200 yet - real productive troll

now go away - have beer to drink ( paid for by me - as your "job" is :D )

Yep. Don't use examples of actual jobs being currently offered so. Use examples from a year ago, of jobs that were pulled. Did you apply for the job yet in the Daily Mail?

Edit: I see you also condone signing while working

You own your own company and employ people?? :D

Very hard on yourself then aren't you
    so stuck where i am , with vultures who regularly tell us " if we don't like it we know what we can do "

so sam no pay rise for the majority - just pay cuts
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=78609162&postcount=173

Yep. Don't use examples of actual jobs being currently offered so. Use examples from a year ago, of jobs that were pulled. Did you apply for the job yet in the Daily Mail?

Edit: I see you also condone signing while working

oh yawn :eek:

i never said ANYTHING about current jobs ? seeing your putting so much detective work into stalking me, find where i said anything about current jobs?
    i now you are missing the point for the last 2 days , but people are arguing that menial jobs should not be on this JB - ya are just not getting it

and for the 50th time - example - look it up in a dictionary - it will even tell you in what context to use it and how

and as for my condoning signing on , can you read ? and understand what you read and the comprehend the context of what you reading ?
    if you read it, it was winding a noob up - he asked was it ok , we said yes for the craic , ya know, fun

and seeing your talking about things you know NOTHING about ill explain it for you shall i?

in the courier industry in the late 80's early 90's you could sign whilst working, it was the docket system , if we earned under a certain amount we got the rest made up by the state , it was to get people back to work while PAYING A DECENT WAGE ( unlike your slavery gig )

they then decided to tax us , but did not want to give us full benefits because the job was so dangerous we would be more likely to claim ,
    so some horse trading went on between the courier groups and revenue ,
    we BOTH came to the conclusion that if we stopped the docket system and they stopped taxing us the full rate all would be happy,
    we were later only taxed at 10% but got no benefits - simple enough for you?

we did this and it worked just fine

you see context and knowledge is everything - seriously you must really like embarrassing yourself because any self respecting troll would have just gave up by now, as you are just like a little dog chasing its tail and pissing itself with excitement

if your so correct in what you say ( sorry vomit ) where are all the people to back up your rubbish ? all i can see is people calling you on your troll.

again - very sad
    stop replying to my posts you creepy little basket case

o have just seen you add on

again context you sad little person

i am a contractor for a major IT company , i get work from them and sub contract out to others , ya know i employ them to do work for me - welcome to the real world , go back to doing you slaver job and leave the real work to the adults

oh yawn :eek:

i never said ANYTHING about current jobs ? seeing your putting so much detective work into stalking me, find where i said anything about current jobs?
    i now you are missing the point for the last 2 days , but people are arguing that menial jobs should not be on this JB - ya are just not getting it

and for the 50th time - example - look it up in a dictionary - it will even tell you in what context to use it and how

and as for my condoning signing on , can you read ? and understand what you read and the comprehend the context of what you reading ?
    if you read it, it was winding a noob up - he asked was it ok , we said yes for the craic , ya know, fun

and seeing your talking about things you know NOTHING about ill explain it for you shall i?

in the courier industry in the late 80's early 90's you could sign whilst working, it was the docket system , if we earned under a certain amount we got the rest made up by the state , it was to get people back to work while PAYING A DECENT WAGE ( unlike your slavery gig )

they then decided to tax us , but did not want to give us full benefits because the job was so dangerous we would be more likely to claim ,
    so some horse trading went on between the courier groups and revenue ,
    we BOTH came to the conclusion that if we stopped the docket system and they stopped taxing us the full rate all would be happy,
    we were later only taxed at 10% but got no benefits - simple enough for you?

we did this and it worked just fine

you see context and knowledge is everything - seriously you must really like embarrassing yourself because any self respecting troll would have just gave up by now, as you are just like a little dog chasing its tail and pissing itself with excitement

if your so correct in what you say ( sorry vomit ) where are all the people to back up your rubbish ? all i can see is people calling you on your troll.

again - very sad
    stop replying to my posts you creepy little basket case

Why the interest in jobs that are no longer current?
    No just you calling me a troll, others calling me a slave:rolleyes:

Good on you for starting a buisness and employing 2 people in the last 4 weeks

BS much?

Why the interest in jobs that are no longer current?
    No just you calling me a troll, others calling me a slave:rolleyes:

Good on you for starting a buisness and employing 2 people in the last 4 weeks

BS much?

where did i say that or insinuate that please ?
    oh yea, you dont answer questions do you, because that would involve proving your argument , run little troll run
    you just keep ignoring the issues - so do i still condone signing on? i have said example millions of time , ignoring that also ? taking quotes from old post totally out of context and not providing the full post ?
    if you cant fight your corner on debate and on the strength of your argument then your not debating - your just talking rubbish

and seeing your spending so much time stalking me and my old posts , why dont you pull up the post i have posted about being a contractor for company's and how badly the treat you and your sub contractors ? well why would you , it would just make a fool of you

up at 200 posts yet stalker ?

remember yesterday i pointed out to you i own my own business and i employ people ? and i state again

It's more than 2 then is it?

:D
    where did i say that or insinuate that please ?
    oh yea, you dont answer questions do you, because that would involve proving your argument , run little troll run
    you just keep ignoring the issues - so do i still condone signing on? i have said example millions of time , ignoring that also ? taking quotes from old post totally out of context and not providing the full post ?
    if you cant fight your corner on debate and on the strength of your argument then your not debating - your just talking rubbish

and seeing your spending so much time stalking me and my old posts , why dont you pull up the post i have posted about being a contractor for company's and how badly the treat you and your sub contractors ? well why would you , it would just make a fool of you

up at 200 posts yet stalker ?

Evidence presented: People with positive experiences of JB posting and being ignored

Evidence you want to discuss: The hyperbole of fridge movers & tesco and other non current positions

Stalker - Aren't you the one who is keeping count of my posts and time and date I joined (which you say was 48 hours ago) do you not know what date it is today?

The name calling really adds to your arguement

We should all be scroungers working on the black market

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

dj jarvis and Boombastic, stop posting in this thread until tomorrow morning.

biko wrote: »
    dj jarvis and Boombastic, stop posting in this thread until tomorrow morning.

@jarvis & boombastic......the next 3hr12mins are gonna drrraaaagggggg :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Pantsface

get off yer hole and go do a days work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

So, back on topic!
    I think it's a bit naive of those who reckon that people who refuse this "offer" should have their payments cut. It's not as simple as that. I'm currently working for free, I have a 6 month internship, but this is because I'm qualified in a field that you need experience in before anyone will take you on, and i understand that as a graduate I need to start at the very bottom. I need to suck up to the right people to get myself going. If I was in the OPs situation though, I think it'd be an absolute knock to my dignity to be working for years and then be reduced to licking up someones arse again.
    I know he's not exactly working for free, but he's not even getting minimum wage either, and as someone said a few pages back it does cost money to work. For example, my transport costs me €30 a week to get the train in and out of the city, and I get up earlier and wrap up so that I can walk the half hour from Connolly to the office, because the Luas is a luxury I can't afford. Also, frankly it feels a bit **** when my colleague at the next desk asks me if I want anything from the shop when she goes to get her frappucino or whatever and there I am with my bottle of Tesco brand dilute that I mixed at home and brought in. They leave work in the evening and go for pints - I go home to a dinner of chicken dippers and frozen veggies.
    Furthermore - what about people with kids? If you're at home all day, you don't need childcare. If you're out earning a wage, you can afford childcare. But if you have no wage coming in then how can you afford childcare to allow you to go and work for the day in the first place?!

Advertisement