Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So Got This Letter in the Door This Morning

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Don't listen to them OP, you are clearly putting the 'use of emoticons' course to good use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Most businesses will do anything they can to cut costs and don't care about how their employees are treated.

In the job I just got laid off from if you refused to do extra hours, you were next on the list to be let go, regardless of how many hours were in the contract. They didn't participate in the JB scheme but it was common knowledge that they used to lay off long term employees in favour of hiring 16yr olds so they'd be able to pay them less.

I was laid off and my workmates tell me that a TY students was hired about 3 weeks after I left. A supervisor told me that they lay off employees who are due wage increases. I would have been working there 5 years in August and my hourly wage would have gone up by €1.20, hence I was let go.

The entire system is a joke. I think I should be entitled to dole, I've paid tax for almost 5 years and I won't see a penny. I won't be able to continue my education without it.

I really think the whole thing needs an overhaul because the way the government are currently running things, and allowing employers do as they please regardless of consequences, things are only going to get worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

a LABOUR government, no less. shame!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

people should be protesting outside joan burtons office to have jobs bridge scrapped imo

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Sean Bateman

people should be protesting outside joan burtons office to have jobs bridge scrapped imo

At the first sign of being compelled to work, the wasters cry foul.

The elephant in the room here is that there are at least 100,000 scroungers in this country who choose to be on social welfare and do not want to work. These are the same people who were unemployed when we'd full employment during the boom.

Newsflash...when you're unemployed and relying on the State / everyone else for handouts, you lose your right to pick and choose what you do for a living.

If an unemployed nuclear physicist is offered a job flipping burgers and refuses to take it, his social welfare should be cut to zero.

Labour's militant wing and Sinn Fein / IRA are afraid of initiatives like Job Bridge because they're a problem for the large constituency of layabouts who do not want to work.

The above is not an attack on decent members of society who have been unlucky - It's a critique if the large number of spoofers who do exist.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

The attitude of the OP sickens me to be honest.

I've been unemployed for 6 days (yes, days), after working for 8 years (part time from 15-19 while in school and college, full time after that), and already I'm going crazy. I had no choice but to leave my job as it destroyed my health, but 6 days in, I'm going nuts. I've got a meeting for the dole on Thursday, and the second I get it, I'm going to see if I qualify to do a WPP job because I don't care if I work for 'free,' I just want to work and I sure as hell don't want to sit on my as$ taking taxpayers' money (even if I was a taxpayer for several years before I became unemployed. If I can't get a WPP job, I'll be signing up for a FAS course and while I am on the waiting list for that, I'll be applying for any job I'm qualified for, ones I'm not qualified for and failing all that, volunteer work.

I'd happily work for the price of my dole payments because I don't want to be long term unemployed. It makes you pretty much unemployable and at least I can continue to gain more experience even if I'm working for free. Aside from that, it's depressing as hell sitting at home on the dole. I'd rather work for that money, even if it does come in as less than minimum wage.
    It sickens me to see people sit on their hole doing nothing just because they don't want to work for their dole.

Fair play to you, LyndaMcL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

LyndaMcL wrote: »
    The attitude of the OP sickens me to be honest.

I've been unemployed for 6 days (yes, days), after working for 8 years (part time from 15-19 while in school and college, full time after that), and already I'm going crazy. I had no choice but to leave my job as it destroyed my health, but 6 days in, I'm going nuts. I've got a meeting for the dole on Thursday, and the second I get it, I'm going to see if I qualify to do a WPP job because I don't care if I work for 'free,' I just want to work and I sure as hell don't want to sit on my as$ taking taxpayers' money (even if I was a taxpayer for several years before I became unemployed. If I can't get a WPP job, I'll be signing up for a FAS course and while I am on the waiting list for that, I'll be applying for any job I'm qualified for, ones I'm not qualified for and failing all that, volunteer work.

I'd happily work for the price of my dole payments because I don't want to be long term unemployed. It makes you pretty much unemployable and at least I can continue to gain more experience even if I'm working for free. Aside from that, it's depressing as hell sitting at home on the dole. I'd rather work for that money, even if it does come in as less than minimum wage.
    It sickens me to see people sit on their hole doing nothing just because they don't want to work for their dole.

Oh dear, this is what's bred into us, be productive little worker bees, feel guilty for taking what's ours, feel guilty for not breaking your árse every day of the week in an unfulfilling job and have what you do to pay the bills define you (and before a certain boardsie wades in and asks if i'm 'off to buy cans', ye can look back in the thread, i'm a fairly productive oik myself). These Job Bridge schemes though, they're just a continuation of the government's perennial písstaking.

Can't stand to be unemployed for 6 days? Read a book, learn to cook a new dish, start/improve an exercise regime, go to a museum, start learning a musical instrument, go for scenic walks, learn to knit, yadda yadda yadda. Why do we have to be constantly in employment to be productive? Live for yourself a bit. There's a big, massive world of stuff out there that involves not being a cog. I don't know how anyone can be a balanced individual when all they care about is work work work.

I'm doing my best to build and forward my career, and by all accounts it's ticking along nicely. I'm also not afraid to put my feet up when nothing else is happening (because i know that i'm not gonna be doing nothing forever, and nor would i be happy to be so idle, but i'm not afraid nor will ever feel guilty about some extended 'me' time). If i'm allowed to legitimately draw the dole, i'll do it if i have to, God knows enough of my taxes went into to the system in the first place (anyway, the numpties running the country are a far bigger drain on resources).

Don't get me wrong, i'm not having a pop at you personally, i just can't wrap my head around that mindset, different strokes for different folks, and all that. But fair play for pushing forward in a way that you're happy with and i wish you the best in you endeavours :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Have to admit good post by the_cool :)

But I just can't understand why people state its "wrong" when others dont accept internships :confused: Are these people living in their own world?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,583 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

The point is that no able bodied person should be receiving any social welfare payments without doing something in return.

An employer / employee relationship should exist between the State and the relevant individual.

People could do landscaping, deliver meals on wheels...basically whatever the State needs them to do.

The sense of entitlement among people who are reliant on society is breathtaking. You've failed citizens who basically can't look after themselves dictating what they will and won't do. They should do what they're told.

I hope ****wits like you (and those that share your ridiculous and petty view) are made redundant in the coming months.

You'll then be forced to understand just how bitter and idiotic you sound.

You utter, utter fool.

Mod note: user banned.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Why not volunteer Lynda?

It is what I do.

I am a week off finishing an internship and would never do another. There are plenty of places that could benefit from your help and having voluntary work on your CV looks great. :)

It is easy for people to say 'oh I would just do an internship' but it is very different when you are in one and trying to get your head around the fact you are nearly 40, always worked all your life and are now working a 40-hour weekfor free.

Believe me, it is not easy to get your head around and is not good at all for the self-esteem.

Stuff the companies looking to exploit free labour and do some voluntary work is my advice.

I hope you find a real job soon :)

Have to admit good post by the_cool :)

But I just can't understand why people state its "wrong" when others dont accept internships :confused: Are these people living in their own world?

Of course it is not wrong, but it is easy for businesses to feel better about exploiting people if they can turn it back on those not willing to accept their 'work for free' policy.

That a scheme like this is even allowed to exist for this amount of time in the utter shambles it is, is beyond me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

not saying a scheme like this is right, but it's often the lesser of two evils.
    it might well be the difference between a business staying open, and having to close down, costing even more jobs.

it might well be the difference between a business staying open, and having to close down, costing even more jobs.

The scheme is not there to help failing businesses. It is meant to be offering unemployed people a chance, only thing is, if a company cannot afford to hire extra staff, they are not going to miraculously be able to do it after an internship ends. New staff will be the last thing they will be worrying about.

I just looked at the jobbridge site and the latest internships on offer today include: quantity surveyor; commis chef (x 2); recruitment consultant; school counsellor; childcare practitioner; web developer; and helpdesk support person. 42 in total like those are up there today. Go and have a look at www.jobbridge.ie for a full listing.

All jobs that in the very recent past would have been paid.

Ireland's dismal unemployment figures are not going to change any time soon. I unfortunately accepted that a while ago now. I still look for work of course because I far prefer to be able to live a certain way that requires more than the dole, but it won't be looking good until this scheme is dead and buried.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

It is easy for people to say 'oh I would just do an internship' but it is very different when you are in one and trying to get your head around the fact you are nearly 40, always worked all your life and are now working a 40-hour weekfor free.

I think that pretty much sums up everything that is wrong with this scheme. Internships should really be reserved for those who have little or no work experience. As it stands it is expoliting those who have viable skills - I wonder how many are actually employed at the end of this?

What incentive is there for employers to recruit paid staff when they can avail of free labour?

Very un-pc here, but I know some people who have never worked, even in the boom years. I wonder how many of them are forced to take internships?

If I was an employer I would definitely opt for those with a proven work ethic. I feel for those who have now found themselves umemployed, if I found myself in that position I would resent working full-time for a paltry €50 extra a week. I also don't think it helps the majority of people find paid employment as I believe most, if not all of them are already employable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Shambles of a system, shut it down and start again

Do the same with FÁS.
    Or is that Solas :confused:

Copy what Department of Enterprise & Learning do in NI

So pretty much no chance for a job at the end

Okay - So if Job Bridge etc are so flawed, how should such a system work?

Best to start with the aims of such a system:

- People's sense of self worth isn't diminished

- Other people don't feel that participants are "scrounging"

- Square pegs aren't put into round holes

- Employers can't exploit people

- Ultimately it saves rather than costs the Exchequer money

- People working in "extinct" fields are retrained in areas that should be more relevant for the future

What about a body or system that identifies areas where employees are required and then trains people in those areas? People would train for say 6 months to a year with practical on the job training and classroom based stuff. They'd be paid the minimum wage for the duration of the course with the State and the employer paying 50% of the cost each. Unemployed people would have to participate in such a scheme and if they didn't, their benefits would be cut.

- People working in "extinct" fields are retrained in areas that should be more relevant for the future

What about a body or system that identifies areas where employees are required and then trains people in those areas? People would train for say 6 months to a year with practical on the job training and classroom based stuff. They'd be paid the minimum wage for the duration of the course with the State and the employer paying 50% of the cost each. Unemployed people would have to participate in such a scheme and if they didn't, their benefits would be cut.

This would be great, the main problem is the lack of places on suitable courses. Umemployed people would end up participating in courses that provide little employment opportunities at best, at worst in courses they have no real interest in or aptitude for.............. Fás 2, the sequel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Why not volunteer Lynda?

It is what I do.

I am a week off finishing an internship and would never do another. There are plenty of places that could benefit from your help and having voluntary work on your CV looks great. :)

Believe me, it is not easy to get your head around and is not good at all for the self-esteem.

Stuff the companies looking to exploit free labour and do some voluntary work is my advice.

I hope you find a real job soon :)

I'm applying for volunteer work at the moment. Someone showed me volunteer.ie and it's got lots of things on it that I'd find fulfilling. :)

I understand that at a later age in life, it'd be pretty horrid having to work 40 hours a week for nothing. But I guess I'm the kind of person that likes working. I've never had a job that I didn't enjoy, even when I was scrubbing a toilet, because I just like working. Aside from that, while I could learn new skills while on the dole and keep myself busy/entertained, I'd rather increase my skillset and to be honest, it just shocks me that other people don't want to increase their experience, too.

This would be great, the main problem is the lack of places on suitable courses. Umemployed people would end up participating in courses that provide little employment opportunities at best, at worst in courses they have no real interest in or aptitude for.............. Fás 2, the sequel.

You'd have to get real buy in from the employers though and incentivise it for them too (some kind of Employers PRSI kicker maybe?).

There has to be give and take on both sides though - "I'm not interested in doing that" coming from an unemployed person smacks of laziness and scrounging and just annoys people. Life isn't a dream where everyone can be an astronaut. You may feel that you're a carpenter but if there's no building work available then either retrain as a production line operative in Intel or emigrate.

• Advertisement

You'd have to get real buy in from the employers though and incentivise it for them too (some kind of Employers PRSI kicker maybe?).

There has to be give and take on both sides though - "I'm not interested in doing that" coming from an unemployed person smacks of laziness and scrounging and just annoys people. Life isn't a dream where everyone can be an astronaut. You may feel that you're a carpenter but if there's no building work available then either retrain as a production line operative in Intel or emigrate.

Oh I agree with you, I just don't see the government implementing it correctly, or even having the funding to consider it. It's a pity because they are areas where specific skills and qualifications are needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

Oh I agree with you, I just don't see the government implementing it correctly, or even having the funding to consider it. It's a pity because they are areas where specific skills and qualifications are needed.

agreed, jobsbridge in it's current form is just blocking real jobs from being created and retained at tax payer's expense.

but then this is ireland where the rich get all the breaks while the hard working joe just gets sh!t on again & again, by our government that lack the balls to do the right thing by it's people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

Just do it. It may not be paid but it will fill the gap on your CV, give you another person to use as a referee, work experience, the opportunity to meet new people, self respect, and put you in a stronger position to get shortlisted for future interviews than someone who threw the letter in the bin...;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

At the first sign of being compelled to work, the wasters cry foul.

The elephant in the room here is that there are at least 100,000 scroungers in this country who choose to be on social welfare and do not want to work. These are the same people who were unemployed when we'd full employment during the boom.

Newsflash...when you're unemployed and relying on the State / everyone else for handouts, you lose your right to pick and choose what you do for a living.

If an unemployed nuclear physicist is offered a job flipping burgers and refuses to take it, his social welfare should be cut to zero.

Labour's militant wing and Sinn Fein / IRA are afraid of initiatives like Job Bridge because they're a problem for the large constituency of layabouts who do not want to work.

The above is not an attack on decent members of society who have been unlucky - It's a critique if the large number of spoofers who do exist.
    Job Bridge would have been a great benefit when we were in the boom and most people had work. The short term unemployed such as university graduates could have used the scheme to get some experience in their chosen field and it could have been used to get the long term unemployed back into the routine of employment.

Unfortunately and this is the bit that goes over a lot of people's heads, it is a FCUKING TERRIBLE IDEA to have in a recession. Recession = unemployment = longer dole queues. While there have been some success stories with these internships, most of them are a joke and are simply a case of employers using them to not have to pay some a wage (and in a lot of cases, it would only be minimum wage). Paid employee being replaced by intern = more people on the dole = vicious cycle where people now have experience but their "job" is being given to an intern that YOU the taxpayer, pay for and not an employee.

Maybe there wouldn't be employers taking the piss so much if they were the ones who had to pay the €238 and not the taxpayer but it's gone beyond a joke. It's ridiculous that employers can get a full time employee at absolutely no cost to them whatsoever.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Boombastic wrote: »
    Interesting stance, you rule out yourself so

:pac:

Jesus how fúcking sad is that.

I can't believe you wasted time trawling through my posts to find that. :rolleyes:

Furthermore if you can't tell the difference between the use of the word 'so' in my sentence (i.e. as a response to another post), and your use of it (opening a thread), then you really don't deserve any form of employment that involves the use of your body from the neck up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Was looking at jobs in China. One was about €1000 per month for 40 hour weeks. These were all aimed at UK applicants so I was surprised the money was so low.

Anyway, I read on. They wanted you to pay them €1000 per month to work for them!! It was some sort of internship.

nice to see my thread still going strong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

So I can assume you didn't take the job?

Jester252 wrote: »
    So I can assume you didn't take the job?

no but have a interview for a paid job this morning so heres hoping :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    Sure why not just cancel social welfare entirely, society will be graaaand. We had nearly full employment in the good times, people aren't on the dole because they are lazy.

Some of them most decidedly are!

for fas/dole crowd

we see that your interested in working in a office

i was like :D

40 hours a week full time on a scheme

(for free no mention of that 50 euro) :mad:

what a ****ing kick in the teeth :(

straight in the bin it went

what a waste of time money paper ink etc :rolleyes:

So rather than take up the opportunity to gain some valuable work experience and possibly a full time job once the internship is finished, you would prefer to sit on yer hole and do nothing?

Good luck explaining to prospective future employers that you chose to stay at home padding your K/D ratio of call of duty than get out, be proactive and work.

You could have 3 PHD's , but if you have 1+ years of constant unemployment on there, you're poison, and employers won't touch you for anything above minimum wage.

Do yourself a favour, and take the fooking internship. It'll stand to you in future. Not doing so, you shoot yourself in the foot.

We already have just such a system (minus the last few lines about 50/50 pay)

It's called FAS and it has been rightly slated as useless and unfit for purpose by every major employers organisation in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭scdublin

It's hard to tell if these schemes are just taking the p*ss or not....but if you can gain some good experience from it then it still makes sense to do it! The more experience you have to put on your cv, the better chance you have of moving onto a paid job. You could make some good contacts along the way too!

CruelCoin wrote: »
    So rather than take up the opportunity to gain some valuable work experience and possibly a full time job once the internship is finished, you would prefer to sit on yer hole and do nothing?

Good luck explaining to prospective future employers that you chose to stay at home padding your K/D ratio of call of duty than get out, be proactive and work.

You could have 3 PHD's , but if you have 1+ years of constant unemployment on there, you're poison, and employers won't touch you for anything above minimum wage.

Do yourself a favour, and take the fooking internship. It'll stand to you in future. Not doing so, you shoot yourself in the foot.

You're having a laugh? As it is, the JB scheme is less than minimum wage, so 'only' getting minimum is an improvement, no?

Doing a menial job for less than the going rate stands to nobody (it's still being paid by people's taxes) and this kind of exploitation (by government and companies alike) is what needs to be stamped out.

You're having a laugh? As it is, the JB scheme is less than minimum wage, so 'only' getting minimum is an improvement, no?

Doing a menial job for less than the going rate stands to nobody (it's still being paid by people's taxes) and this kind of exploitation (by government and companies alike) is what needs to be stamped out.

You, and every other objector neatly forget why the scheme was implemented in the first place.

The scheme was never created for people to earn money. So please stop talking about the money factor as its not relevant.

The scheme was created to allow people to gain working experience. Thats it. And that is exactly what it does.

Way i see it, the plan is working fine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Dr.Silly

I don't blame the OP one fcuking bit.
    He's paid taxes for 6 years and now can't get a job.

Work for free ... makes my blood boil ...
    what are we .. fcuking animals living in slave ages ... grow up people. This is taking the p1ss.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭scdublin

A lot of graduates are finding it impossible to get a job, as they have no work experience coming straight out of education. If working in one of these schemes for a few weeks or months gets you the relevant experience to put on your cv and therefore help you get a job, then why the hell would you not do it?

So many people are on the dole and complain that they can't get work, but won't at least look into doing one of these. Obviously you're not going to get paid, you should do it for the experience alone if you want to get out of the dole cycle, although with these schemes you do get an extra 50 a week on top of your dole payments. I know it's not amazing, but again it's not meant to be about the money.

Yes, some of the companies who sign up are taking the piss, but a lot of these programs could help benefit you as well, so you have to look at it from that point of view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

You, and every other objector neatly forget why the scheme was implemented in the first place.

The scheme was never created for people to earn money. So please stop talking about the money factor as its not relevant.

The scheme was created to allow people to gain working experience. Thats it. And that is exactly what it does.

Way i see it, the plan is working fine.

So tell me this - why do you get out of bed and go to work each day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭NakedNNettles

no but have a interview for a paid job this morning so heres hoping :)

Best of luck now, you were right to throw that sh*te in the bin.

Hard days work for a hard days pay, both go hand in hand.

• Advertisement

The scheme was never created for people to earn money...

No, it was created via cronyism between employers, so they can fill job spaces with having to pay staff, and government, who want to massage figures slightly in their favour.

JobBridge in its present form is nothing but slave labour and is actually a burden on the tax payer. At the very least, the employer should be expected to pay the extra couple of hundred Euro and bring the payment to the worker up to minimum wage.

In that respect, I could see JobBridge working in a much better way and more people would be happy to avail of it.

In either case, it's still allowing employers to exploit workers.

If there are positions to be filled within companies, then pay the staff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Manzoor14

Can you honestly say you would happily work a job for considerably less than minimum wage?

Have you done this yourself? What would you consider to be the advantages?

I worked for free, without dole, for 3 months to try pick up experience in an area I wanted to work in/do a masters in. Finished college in May, couldn't sign on the dole until I got a letter from college saying I was finished, which they wouldn't give me until I graduated in October! (ridicolous, but thats another story.)
    Sent an application into a company, looking for some experience. Started the following week, a few months later they offered me a 1 year contract.

I stayed there for the year, went back to college and done a masters in the area and secured a full time job 4 months after finishing.

Without the work I done for free there's no way I would have either got into the masters/be in the job i'm in now...

Not every job is going to have a contract at the end of it, but some will! Its all about finding the right one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Muir

Manzoor14 wrote: »
    I worked for free, without dole, for 3 months to try pick up experience in an area I wanted to work in/do a masters in. Finished college in May, couldn't sign on the dole until I got a letter from college saying I was finished, which they wouldn't give me until I graduated in October! (ridicolous, but thats another story.)
    Sent an application into a company, looking for some experience. Started the following week, a few months later they offered me a 1 year contract.

I stayed there for the year, went back to college and done a masters in the area and secured a full time job 4 months after finishing.

Without the work I done for free there's no way I would have either got into the masters/be in the job i'm in now...

Not every job is going to have a contract at the end of it, but some will! Its all about finding the right one!

To be honest, someone coming out of college who has never really worked before is very different to someone who has many years experience working then being asked to work for very little. And I say that as someone going into my final year of my degree, I would have gladly taken an unpaid internship for the summer but I couldn't get anything unfortunately.

If you've been working for years, you have the experience, and then you're being asked to go work at something you're more than qualified to do for little money, where actually getting to work might cost you more than you're making by doing it. & then so many of the jobs are stupid. I've been looking for jobs, and I keep coming across ones that are part of this scheme. It's so annoying, because so many of them are entry level basic jobs that I, or anyone, could do, and they just don't want to pay someone. Or else they require qualifications & experience which if people had you would expect them to be earning a hell of a lot more.

Companies want free labour, and the government want to make it look like there are less people signing on. It might actually be a good scheme if they made it for graduates/students who actually need that experience because they don't have any, but as the above poster said, you can't even sign on until you officially graduate so you aren't even eligible to partake as a recent graduate.

I agree with Muir. Internships are fine for people coming out of collage and looking for that little boost that an internship provides. This method has been around for years and can be a suitable segue into working life.

However, asking someone who has put 15 years of labour into a given area to suddenly do it for nothing, is taking the piss, quite frankly. It's exploitative and demeaning to offer nothing at all for one's labour and expertise in a position that could be paid for in the correct manner.

Tony EH wrote: »
    No, it was created via cronyism between employers, so they can fill job spaces with having to pay staff, and government, who want to massage figures slightly in their favour.

JobBridge in its present form is nothing but slave labour and is actually a burden on the tax payer. At the very least, the employer should be expected to pay the extra couple of hundred Euro and bring the payment to the worker up to minimum wage.

In that respect, I could see JobBridge working in a much better way and more people would be happy to avail of it.

In either case, it's still allowing employers to exploit workers.

If there are positions to be filled within companies, then pay the staff.

A voluntary participation system can hardly be called slavery.

Its not a case of having positions so pay them. If something is going for free, then in business you take it. If you don't then you will get out-competed by those who do!

Even if you didn't need the extra staff, you'd still take them on just because they are free.

But thats fine. Do nothing, stay at home and complain about it. You will be outcompeted in the jobs-market by those who had the motivation to take part, i promise you that.

As an employer, i couldn't give a toss about your qualifications. I care about work ethic, motivation, desire to learn, etc etc. If i see a blank space of a year on a CV, that CV goes in the bin.

A blank space on a cv? So no voluntary work, no jobsbridge, no charity work, no bloody nothing. A year gap tells me you sat home and scratched.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

The scheme should be cut its costing SW a mountain in money,and gives nothing back to the community,by way of tax to the exchequer,it robs what could be a paid job advertised in your community,it further consigns those who are unemployed to more permanent unemployment.for example supermacs could hire free labour staff,as opposed to paid staff,its a job blocker,one that needs to be shut down..

So tell me this - why do you get out of bed and go to work each day?

For money, satisfaction and to keep myself sane.

I'm just saying it's redundant to talk about jobsbridge in money terms when that is not the aim of the scheme at all.
    Jobsbridgers get out of bed for experience, which is why they signed on.

The scheme should be cut its costing SW a mountain in money,and gives nothing back to the community,by way of tax to the exchequer,it robs what could be a paid job advertised in your community,it further consigns those who are unemployed to more permanent unemployment.for example supermacs could hire free labour staff,as opposed to paid staff,its a job blocker,one that needs to be shut down..

It gets people spending money on lunches, fuel, transport, etc. This goes back to the community.

Where does the 50 quid go? Various spending, all of which is taxed and again, goes back to the community.

Again, its not about the money. Its about the experience.
    You could be a world class welder, but if you don't practice it for 1/2/3 years, you'll be rusty as hell and will find it hard to get back to work afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

a simpler way of looking at it.

There you are working away, happy as larry, when someone "on the dole" comes in and says to you boss "hey, how about this, get rid of your man there who is getting paid plenty of money, I'll do his job for nothing for ya, sure I'm on the dole, thats all I need, and you Mr. boss can keep your money in your pocket while I'm around - in fact I'll get all my mates on the dole to work for free for you as well, that way you can fire your staff".

Like to see what you think then?
    This doesn't really apply to anything above a basic low level job.

You're not going to fire your C++ programmer because he's costing €80k and replace him with a guy who can count to potato.

The same applies to any position which comes with some responsibility. If a company would entrust something serious to someone who's lacking experience then that's their own loss.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

It gets people spending money on lunches, fuel, transport, etc. This goes back to the community.

Where does the 50 quid go? Various spending, all of which is taxed and again, goes back to the community.

Again, its not about the money. Its about the experience.
    You could be a world class welder, but if you don't practice it for 1/2/3 years, you'll be rusty as hell and will find it hard to get back to work afterwards.

Its 50 quid from the SW ,which is something they wont get back,that 50 quid could be better spent on creating actual jobs,as opposed to a job blocker,that hogs up what could have been a paid job advertised.

I know youre talking about experience,and thats great,but what happens when there is no job after?And the employer is exploiting the scheme,using you for free labour,yeah you get experience but no job = dead end.
    Not to mention the fact that jobbridge and fas are nicking jobs from the public..

• Advertisement
Advertisement