Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So Got This Letter in the Door This Morning

1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Its 50 quid from the SW ,which is something they wont get back,that 50 quid could be better spent on creating actual jobs,as opposed to a job blocker,that hogs up what could have been a paid job advertised.

I know youre talking about experience,and thats great,but what happens when there is no job after?And the employer is exploiting the scheme,using you for free labour,yeah you get experience but no job = dead end.
    Not to mention the fact that jobbridge and fas are nicking jobs from the public..

Ok, well if we have a min wage job paid for by the state (it'll never be this low as they overpay for everything) then at minimum wage working 40 hours a week we'd need 350ish quid.

So, 7 people would have to lose out of gaining experience to create at best, one job...... But given how the government are union whores, this will most likely have to be 10 or more people taken out of the scheme to create a single job.

I'm sorry, but that is farcical.

The state is already completely bloated with public sector workers. The levels of innefiency in the state sector is incredible.
    100k staff in the health service to care for 4.4 million people..... Really? At 50k people i still wouldn't be happy.
    If anything we should be cutting these jobs, not creating more and burdening those who actually pay for it all (i.e me the taxpayer)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,583 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

CruelCoin wrote: »
    A voluntary participation system can hardly be called slavery.

Its not a case of having positions so pay them. If something is going for free, then in business you take it. If you don't then you will get out-competed by those who do!

Even if you didn't need the extra staff, you'd still take them on just because they are free.

But thats fine. Do nothing, stay at home and complain about it. You will be outcompeted in the jobs-market by those who had the motivation to take part, i promise you that.

As an employer, i couldn't give a toss about your qualifications. I care about work ethic, motivation, desire to learn, etc etc. If i see a blank space of a year on a CV, that CV goes in the bin.

A blank space on a cv? So no voluntary work, no jobsbridge, no charity work, no bloody nothing. A year gap tells me you sat home and scratched.

It's hardly "voluntary", in the strictest sense of the word, if people are doing it out of fear. The very fear you have just described...and employers better get used to gaps on CVs. Only the most idiotic hirer would consider dumping a CV in the bin with a gap on it, in the current employment situation. Nearly half a million unemployed and companies jumping ship every day? There's bound to be gaps on even the most impressive CVs, through no fault on behalf of employee, whatsoever.

The bottom line is that JobBridge is extemely flawed and the only real winner is the employer who is exploiting the system and the worker.

As said above, even if the employer was to pay the deficit and push the workers income to minimum wage level, that would at least make the scheme more attractive to a wider section of people, while still not hurting the employer's pocket to any great degree.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

Ok, well if we have a min wage job paid for by the state (it'll never be this low as they overpay for everything) then at minimum wage working 40 hours a week we'd need 350ish quid.

Im not saying the min wage job should be paid for by the state,im saying that the government should attract more business and companies setting up to ireland to hire for actual paid workers,not free workers..

With job bridge and fas in the way job blocking it doesnt look like anybody will get paid employment in said areas they are job blocking up..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

For money, satisfaction and to keep myself sane.

I'm just saying it's redundant to talk about jobsbridge in money terms when that is not the aim of the scheme at all.
    Jobsbridgers get out of bed for experience, which is why they signed on.

There. That's why people don't want to partake in this bull****. You do a job, you're paid the going rate, end of.

Don't like gaps on a CV? Shows how out of touch with reality you really are.

There. That's why people don't want to partake in this bull****. You do a job, you're paid the going rate, end of.

Don't like gaps on a CV? Shows how out of touch with reality you really are.

It's not about what you want, but what you have to do.

There's plenty you could do to fill it.

Charity work,
    Voluntary work,
    Elderly care,
    Jobsbridge,
    re-skilling courses,
    language courses,
    etc.

Anything to show you have spirit, motivation, enthusiasm.
    Anything apart from scratching.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

for fas/dole crowd

we see that your interested in working in a office

i was like :D

40 hours a week full time on a scheme

(for free no mention of that 50 euro) :mad:

what a ****ing kick in the teeth :(

straight in the bin it went

what a waste of time money paper ink etc :rolleyes:

Modern day slavery and exploitation

Charity work,
    Voluntary work,
    Elderly care,
    Jobsbridge,
    re-skilling courses,
    language courses,
    etc.

But that's not the point. You have free time, why not do something you enjoy, rather than chasing a gapless CV? You're only on this planet once, why is it constant work work work? We still live in a comparative paradise to a large percentage of the world's population, why not count our blessings and live for ourselves a bit? I said this bit a few pages back; we've had this worker bee mentality bred into us, made feel guilty because you're not 'contributing' to society during every second of your day, made feel like bad person because you take some of your time to enjoy yourself.

What is success? Money, posh car? Maybe it is to some people, but to me it's about having a balance of forwarding yourself in life, but also being able to take it all in and try to be happy. Most of the people i know who are really content with their lives have jobs and careers, but they also relish down time. About 6 years ago a close friend spent 10 months on the dole. He just wasn't arsed with anything, couldn't care less about contributing to society. Just wanted to (in his own words) 'sit on my h*le for a bit and watch the world drift by'. That same friend is currently a few months away from finishing his Ph.D.

I'm currently working part time (i'm just ticking over) and i'll be in the 4th year of an honours degree next October. I've lots of free time for the summer. I've been practising snare drum rudiments, getting through a library book every week/10 days, going for walks/cylces and enjoying nature, trying out new dishes in the kitchen every week, listening to music and doing a bit of photography and spending time with the people i care about. I'm not doing any of these things to improve my CV, i'm doing them because i enjoy them and i have the time to spare for a few months. If i wasn't working part time i'd still be doing them (along with job hunting), doesn't mean i'm in the scratcher all day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Dartz

I was supposed to start a jobbridge this week. Still waiting on the all-clear from SW.

Bureaucracy is the glue that binds the gears of society together.

Anyway. It's a reference on my CV, and I sorely need one. Especially since that's explicitly the reason I put on my "Why are you still failing at finding work" form welfare sent out recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭NakedNNettles

Charity work,
    Voluntary work,
    Elderly care,
    Jobsbridge,
    re-skilling courses,
    language courses,
    etc.

I see what you did there.......... blurring the lines quite a bit aren't you?

There's a massive difference between working a 40 hour week for nothing and the other things that you mention. Nobody would expect to be paid for voluntary/charity work or even training courses. Working or not people do this anyway in their spare time.

But after all your spiel in your previous posts, you are finally on the right tracks about the things that can be done to show spirit and motivation.

In other words you don't need to make a fool of yourself working a 40 hour week for nothing just to fill CV gaps .......which I might add is another crock of paranoid BS that you so happily bleat on about. Is that what your Mammy and Daddy told you?

Anyway, watch out for them CV gaps. :pac:

• Advertisement

Dartz wrote: »
    I was supposed to start a jobbridge this week. Still waiting on the all-clear from SW.

Bureaucracy is the glue that binds the gears of society together.

Anyway. It's a reference on my CV, and I sorely need one. Especially since that's explicitly the reason I put on my "Why are you still failing at finding work" form welfare sent out recently.

They're sending you letters about finding work, but at the same time you're supposed to be starting one of these schemes and their paperwork (or lack of) is what's holding it up?

Next letter you get about why you're not in employment, you should write 'because of your incompetence' on it. Sheesh, i'd swear, if half the people working for in the civil service displayed the same incompetence elsewhere, they would be the ones down the dole office :o

I see what you did there.......... blurring the lines quite a bit aren't you?

There's a massive difference between working a 40 hour week for nothing and the other things that you mention. Nobody would expect to be paid for voluntary/charity work or even training courses. Working or not people do this anyway in their spare time.

But after all your spiel in your previous posts, you are finally on the right tracks about the things that can be done to show spirit and motivation.

In other words you don't need to make a fool of yourself working a 40 hour week for nothing just to fill CV gaps .......which I might add is another crock of paranoid BS that you so happily bleat on about. Is that what your Mammy and Daddy told you?

Anyway, watch out for them CV gaps. :pac:

And why would you be making a fool of yourself by participating?
    Do you really think your degree will get you hired alone when there are 100k people in the jobs market with the same bloody thing?

Days gone past companies had to hire anything they could get their hands on, anything! Now that they can be a little more choosy, they are being more choosy.

But that's not the point. You have free time, why not do something you enjoy, rather than chasing a gapless CV? You're only on this planet once, why is it constant work work work? We still live in a comparative paradise to a large percentage of the world's population, why not count our blessings and live for ourselves a bit? I said this bit a few pages back; we've had this worker bee mentality bred into us, made feel guilty because you're not 'contributing' to society during every second of your day, made feel like bad person because you take some of your time to enjoy yourself.

What is success? Money, posh car? Maybe it is to some people, but to me it's about having a balance of forwarding yourself in life, but also being able to take it all in and try to be happy. Most of the people i know who are really content with their lives have jobs and careers, but they also relish down time. About 6 years ago a close friend spent 10 months on the dole. He just wasn't arsed with anything, couldn't care less about contributing to society. Just wanted to (in his own words) 'sit on my h*le for a bit and watch the world drift by'. That same friend is currently a few months away from finishing his Ph.D.

I'm currently working part time (i'm just ticking over) and i'll be in the 4th year of an honours degree next October. I've lots of free time for the summer. I've been practising snare drum rudiments, getting through a library book every week/10 days, going for walks/cylces and enjoying nature, trying out new dishes in the kitchen every week, listening to music and doing a bit of photography and spending time with the people i care about. I'm not doing any of these things to improve my CV, i'm doing them because i enjoy them and i have the time to spare for a few months. If i wasn't working part time i'd still be doing them (along with job hunting), doesn't mean i'm in the scratcher all day.

By all means do something you enjoy, i have no problem with that.

Go on road trip round oz, fine, been there done that.
    p.s: take up scuba, you'll never look back.

But i do have a problem with people "just letting the world drift by". Thats fine when you pay for it yourself, not fine when taxpayers have to pay for it.
    The key is in the name. "jobseekers". If you don't have a 9to5, then it should be your 9to5 to get one. Either that, or kindly stop sucking my taxes.

The lifestyle you describe sounds great, but the tiger days that enabled that are gone, and now we are on the flip side. You have fun for a few years, business has fun for a few years. Swings and cycles dude.

By all means do something you enjoy, i have no problem with that.

Go on road trip round oz, fine, been there done that.
    p.s: take up scuba, you'll never look back.

But i do have a problem with people "just letting the world drift by". Thats fine when you pay for it yourself, not fine when taxpayers have to pay for it.
    The key is in the name. "jobseekers". If you don't have a 9to5, then it should be your 9to5 to get one. Either that, or kindly stop sucking my taxes.

The lifestyle you describe sounds great, but the tiger days that enabled that are gone, and now we are on the flip side. You have fun for a few years, business has fun for a few years. Swings and cycles dude.

I'd agree with you mostly. The one thing about taxes though - everyone i know (bar one or two perpetual dole-dwellers who don't seem to understand you get out of bed and make your own good fortune, and i've said it to them that they need a boot in the backside) who've signed on at some point have all paid taxes themselves, and have spent the majority of their adult life either training for a skilled job, or working. It seems our culture is set up to rip into each other over these things, while our 'leaders' are the biggest drain on resources.

But i do agree you should have something in the works, keeping yourself active. I hate being idle, i like to be constantly learning and trying new things, but these things are for myself and not for my CV. I'm still partaking in stuff that will improve my CV, but i like to balance it with plenty of 'me' time.

Advertisement