Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Cat is a bully ... help!

• 20-06-2012 2:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭

Hi,

My next door neighbour complained that my cat has been chasing her puppy in her garden ... and has told my landlord (the other neighbour) to let me know. I told my landlord that I'd talk to the cat.

What am I supposed to do? I don't think the cat will listen :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

Hi,

My next door neighbour complained that my cat has been chasing her puppy in her garden ... and has told my landlord (the other neighbour) to let me know. I told my landlord that I'd talk to the cat.

What am I supposed to do? I don't think the cat will listen :pac:

Keep your cat indoors, then he'll only bully you :)

P.S. I say that as the bullied owner of a male cat myself!!! It really is the only option to control your cat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

I live in a studio and she gets out via the velux. Leaving her indoors is cruel. I am planning on moving in october but for now I really don't see the problem with the dog owner scaring the cat with water or something.

you'd rather your cat be frightened away than kept safe? What if the dog turns on her? Or your neighbour turns on her? You've been given a warning that they aren't happy with the situation, to subject your cat to being frightened and possible hurt is CRUEL :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

You're right actually... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lolo62

i think keeping an outdoor cat indoors is more cruel than letting it out in this situation

cats are great at looking after themselves sure theyve colonised the planet!
    you and the cat will be demented in a bedsit if she doesnt get to go out and hunt, poop+ pee, burn off excess energy etc

go down to the neighbour with a water pistol and tell her to squirt the cat if she comes near...the cat wont like it but she wont be traumatised

once she gets that reception a couple of times she'll find a new route around the neighbourhood

the puppy is obviously a new addition and on your cats turf so she needs to learn the boundaries have changed

approaching your neighbour with this suggestion is taking responsibility and trying to find a solution, you cant be more reasonable than that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

lolo62 wrote: »

the puppy is obviously a new addition and on your cats turf so she needs to learn the boundaries have changed

approaching your neighbour with this suggestion is taking responsibility and trying to find a solution, you cant be more reasonable than that

I'm sorry but the pup is on IT'S own territory, the fact that the cat has an irresponsible owner does not make someone elses garden the cat's territory.

The cat scaring the pup like that can leave long term psychological scars for the pup and it simply isn't fair for the pup not to feel able to feel safe and secure in it's own garden.

If I saw a pup of mine being chased around the garden by a neighbours cat after informing the neighbour of the situation, let me tell you it wouldn't wouldnt be a water pistol I'd be using to ensure the cat didn't come back.

The responsible thing is to keep YOUR pet in YOUR property. Secure your own garden

If I saw a pup of mine being chased around the garden by a neighbours cat after informing the neighbour of the situation, let me tell you it wouldn't wouldnt be a water pistol I'd be using to ensure the cat didn't come back.

Theres no need for that. :mad: Keeping that cat indoors is best for everyone (animal and human) involved.

Why is it so hard to have a balanced discussion on this forum, straight away the cat and cat owner is the devil, the poor pup and its mental scars but no concern for the cat, that the suggestion so far of spraying it with water or worse, and what mental scars that would do to the cat. Im getting seriously bored of the cat hatred around here :(:(

OP there are so many dangers out there for your cat, if it is not this situation it could be getting knocked down, fighting with other cats, stupid humans and their hatred of cats thats your biggest worry, especially with your neighbours. Keep your cat indoors and get toys for him to use up his energy. I say that not to demonise cats but so that you have a better chance of having a pet/family member to live a long life :)

And likewise I'm thoroughly bored of the attitude on this forum that "its only a cat", "its only a little cat poo so get over yourself ", "it's in a cats nature to roam", "its cruel to keep a cat indoors" and the many other 'reasons' people have to justify their irresponsibly.

The attitude that its ok for a pup to be terrorised in its own garden and just spray the cat with water so as not to scare the cat overly makes me mad. There's no telling how many times it would take to ensure the cat stopped coming back, maybe only once but more likely it would take far more than once and all the while the pup is becoming more and more fearful and all responsibility being put on the pups owners shoulders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

OP - I've got to say I side with those who suggest keeping your cat inside. It's a big pet peeve (pardon the pun) of mine when neighborhood cats are allowed to roam as and where they will with no regard to anyone else's property. It would never be allowed with any other pet, but cats seem to have this carte blanche sense of entitlement regardless of what they do to anyone else.

Your cat is irritating another animal on the other animal's property - possibly deliberately. It's not fair on the dog, or on the dog's owners who have to try to contain their dog when your cat decides it wants to walk around their garden.

It would never be allowed with any other type of pet.

But the point is it's not ok to scare either animal. why can't the situation be looked at without threatening either animal. There were responses on thread (from myself) that didn't say it was ok for the pup to be terrorised.

My cat is an absolute bully, I've had to keep him indoors for his and other cats safety. But there is no denying that he is not nearly as happy indoors as he was outdoors. It's the lesser of two evils, and a sacrafice he and I have to make to ensure that he is safe from other cats and humans.

• Advertisement

sambuka41 wrote: »
    But the point is it's not ok to scare either animal. why can't the situation be looked at without threatening either animal...

Woah, easy there.

Where did I say anything about scaring anyone? I just supported keeping the cat inside. If the OP can't regulate where the cat goes, there's no option but to keep the cat inside. Simple as. No need to have any sort of discussion about scaring anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Keeping cat's is cruel indoors and outdoors. cat's prefer to be out and about but the world is too dangerous for a cat now apparently.

In my book it's cruel to keep them indoors, i grew up with cats that spent their lives indoor and they were all half demented looking back on it.

I wouldn't be getting up on my high horse and judging people just because I kept a cat indoors that's for sure.

Ayla wrote: »
    Woah, easy there.

Where did I say anything about scaring anyone? I just supported keeping the cat inside. If the OP can't regulate where the cat goes, there's no option but to keep the cat inside. Simple as. No need to have any sort of discussion about scaring anyone.

Sorry that was part of the earlier discussion, not directed at you. There talk that its not ok for the dog to be scared by the cat but that it is ok for the cat to be scared by the human.

I get frustrated with the way cats are spoken about here, I happen to agree with most about keeping them in but I not because I am anti cats (which is a feeling I get on those board at times).

Bambi wrote: »
    Keeping cat's is cruel indoors and outdoors. cat's prefer to be out and about but the world is too dangerous for a cat now apparently.

In my book it's cruel to keep them indoors, i grew up with cats that spent their lives indoor and they were all half demented looking back on it.

I wouldn't be getting up on my high horse and judging people just because I kept a cat indoors that's for sure.

Obviously it is a cat's basic instinct to roam & be outside. They don't care or understand fences or boundaries & they go wherever they want. As a pet owner, however, we all have responsibility for our pet, and we have to ensure that our pet does not encroach or harm any other person's property. Since we can't usually train cats on boundaries (like we can dogs) then they have to stay inside.

Unnatural? Probably. But it's the only responsible thing to do if you care about your neighbours (or pet!) at all. If you're not willing to be responsible for your pet (whatever type of pet that is) then you shouldn't have one.

Bambi wrote: »
    cat's prefer to be out and about

I hate to break it to you but pretty much every pet would prefer to be out and about and roaming but cats are the only animal to do so. 90% of pet animals when given the chance of an open door or broken fence will go wandering be they dog, sheep, horses, rabbits, birds whatever. The only difference is that owners of other pet species ensure that their pet is responsibly kept on their property and not left wander.

i dont think an outdoor cat should be kept indoors....its competely different if a cat has always been indoors and this cat has always been out and about, and if the OP is in a bedsit then she presumably cant fence in the whole garden etc

cats are cats, whether people like them or not is irrelevant. i keep a cat for the very same reasons people dislike them. im not ahuge dog fan but i dont go around complaining (and threatening!) to my neighbours because theirs are barking at all hours because thats what dogs do!

cats have territories...thats natural for a cat...the cat didnt bother the neighbour until puppy came along, now puppy is in the garden the cat just needs to learn that she cant go into that garden, simple

i also dont think theres anything wrong with spraying a cat with a bit of water to establish a boundary, and i live with a cat and love them
    and if i was a cat i would definitely prefer to take my chances with a water pistol than completely loose my freedom!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,524 ✭✭✭Heroditas

i dont think an outdoor cat should be kept indoors....its competely different if a cat has always been indoors and this cat has always been out and about, and if the OP is in a bedsit then she presumably cant fence in the whole garden etc

We took in a wild cat nearly two years ago. It took us months to be allowed even touch her.

Now she won't set foot outside the house and is extremely content being an indoor cat with our other two indoor cats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

Heroditas wrote: »
    We took in a wild cat nearly two years ago. It took us months to be allowed even touch her.

Now she won't set foot outside the house and is extremely content being an indoor cat with our other two indoor cats.

Aye, I moved from a house to an apartment years ago and the cats didn't give a damn that they couldn't go outside. Then moved to a house a few years back and you'd swear outside was a hardship for them ( except on sunny days when they sprawl on the lawn).

Aye, I moved from a house to an apartment years ago and the cats didn't give a damn that they couldn't go outside. Then moved to a house a few years back and you'd swear outside was a hardship for them ( except on sunny days when they sprawl on the lawn).

:D I wish my guy was like that, he was an outdoor cat for 4 years so now every chance he gets he tries to escape!! I moved to an apartment where I could fence in a small yard area for him, but he's getting out the chicken wire, so I'm still trying to fully cat proof it. He is the James Bond of cats:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I can never understand cat owners saying 'spray it with water'. I would be livid if I found out that someone had sprayed my dogs with a hose(although they're safely contained in my garden so it's not an issue), and I can't comprehend how someone would actually suggest doing it to their own pet.

If your neighbours are coming to you about your cat then it is causing a problem for them, whether or not you think their complaints about roaming, poo, killing birds etc. are trivial is irrelevant; your pet is annoying your neighbours and it is your responsibility to make sure that stops, whether by cat-proofing your garden so your cat can't leave it, or by keeping them indoors.

• Advertisement

Heroditas wrote: »

thats great...fair play for taking in a wild cat a taking the time to nurture her...sounds like shes made her choice!

my cat would scratch a hole right through my back door if i tried to keep her in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

Some cats are cracking escape artists alright. Mine are too old to lazy to bother these days.

kylith wrote: »
    I would be livid if I found out that someone had sprayed my dogs with a hose and I can't comprehend how someone would actually suggest doing it to their own pet.
    QUOTE]

A hose and a water pistol are two different things and no one suggested spraying an animal with a hose...this conversation is about water pistols!

I have squirted a small childs toy water pistol at the local bully cat to keep him out of my garden as he was terrorising my cat, now he stays away

A cat is an animal, it doesnt go off and think ''oh they are so mean for spraying me, my feelings are hurt'' its more like ''s**t that sucks..ill move on''

btw i just called my vet who is a cat nut for back up on this...absolutely no cruelty there from the cats end...it just something theyd rather avoid

btw i just called my vet who is a cat nut...absolutely no cruelty there from the cats end...it just something theyd rather avoid

I think its cruel, I really don't like the idea of my cat ever been scared or upset by people,and I could never do it to another animal. It's better that they are indoors where they are safe, safe from a lot of things but mainly safe from people who wouldn't think twice about really hurting your cat.

sambuka41 wrote: »
    I think its cruel, I really don't like the idea of my cat ever been scared or upset by people,and I could never do it to another animal. It's better that they are indoors where they are safe, safe from a lot of things but mainly safe from people who wouldn't think twice about really hurting your cat.

a squirt of water wont scare or upset your cat...just startle him/her.
    i dont like car horns, they startle me but theyre useful on the road when a warning is needed

i have seen people chase cats away with teeth showing and arms waving...this is far worse in my opinion

i am a certified cat slave and i worry all the time about cat haters out there but in this situation the OP's neighbour sounds like a reaonable person and not a sociopath
    she has come to the OP I presume to try to come to a solution for the problem of the cat coming into the garden...this is a simple and cruelty free solution

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭MajorMax

When we first got our cat. She was a young stray that adopted my ex-Girlfriend/Current Wife at work, she seemed to settle in really well.

We had a few run ins but I quickly showed her that I could hit a lot harder than she could (to the cat not the ex-Girlfriend/Current Wife) and now she loves & adores me (the cat not the ex-Girlfriend/Current Wife) and hasn't raised a paw to me since.

However she bullies the ex-Girlfriend/Current Wife unmercifully, sniping and ambushing her sometimes drawing blood. So we started letting her out in the evenings and she has attacked every other cat she has come across (the cat not the ex-Girlfriend/Current Wife).

She even went for cats half again as big as her. She had a running battle last week that had half the windows on our street being opened by the neighbours to see what the hell was going on.

I figure she's just being territorial and once she has made her bones she'll settle down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Ayla wrote: »
    Obviously it is a cat's basic instinct to roam & be outside. They don't care or understand fences or boundaries & they go wherever they want. As a pet owner, however, we all have responsibility for our pet, and we have to ensure that our pet does not encroach or harm any other person's property. Since we can't usually train cats on boundaries (like we can dogs) then they have to stay inside.

Unnatural? Probably. But it's the only responsible thing to do if you care about your neighbours (or pet!) at all. If you're not willing to be responsible for your pet (whatever type of pet that is) then you shouldn't have one.

I would contend that equally if your cat is going to spend its life cooped up then you shouldn't have one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

By that logic, what's the point in keeping any pet? They're all going to be cooped up.

I have two dogs that are kept inside (as all dogs should be). They are allowed into the back garden except there's one problem: a little prick of a cat torments them. The horrid creature will see that the dogs are in the garden, will hop into our garden and sit down and wait for the dogs to notice it. Then, when the dogs do notice it and go crazy barking and running at it, it will hop onto the wall and look down at the dogs as they jump up and down barking at it. I've never come across a more irritating creature in my life. Of course, when I go out to shoo the cat away, it sees me and is gone before I take two steps into the garden.

Keep cats indoors, they have no more right than a dog or a cow does to be allowed to roam as they please.

i have a great book recommendation for the cat haters on this forum, its called 'The Fear of Freedom' by Eric Fromm ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

OP, I don't think you have any choice here, the cat is presenting a problem to your neighbour so you'll have to keep it in, until you move at least.

We have 2 cats - the older guy we let outside as he never stays away too long and always comes back to his food and his litter tray - a good few of our neighbours have cats they let out as well. Our younger cat is about a year old and she is currently being kept indoors. We rescued her as a 6 week old stray, and after she was spayed we let her out on a number of occasions, and each time she took up residence under a neighbours shed (where she was unreachable) and didn't come back for days. We had to give up letting her out in the end as they have a dog and it's not fair on the dog! So a lot depends on the cats really, but if either cat was causing a neighbour problems, I'd keep them in.

Advertisement