Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading UPC Wired Router to a Wireless One

• 20-06-2012 3:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

Sorry if this has been posted before,

I've been asked to upgrade a families UPC wired internet to a wireless one, (She has to connect using an Ethernet cable and wants WiFi)

I was thinking i can just buy a normal router in PC World and configure it to UPC's settings. But the old router is not connected using a phone cable it uses some think white cable thats looks like it could be plugged into a TV :confused:

Do UPC have to send me an upgraded router or can i buy a cheap one in a shop

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,472 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

You can get a router in pc world that connects to the Ethernet (one the of is connected to now) it doesn't replace the old box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,472 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Oh yeah, let them know in the shop what youre doing.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

You need to get what is often called a wireless "cable" router - (one that does not have an integrated dsl modem for use say with Eircom).

Any competent shop should know what you are looking for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

Cheers Guys , normally i know alot about this stuff but seeing the connection at the back of the box, i was what the hell is that :pac:

Off to PC World then ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Kenno90 wrote: »
    Cheers Guys , normally i know alot about this stuff but seeing the connection at the back of the box, i was what the hell is that :pac:

Off to PC World then ;)

Avoid Belkin, it's probably what the gob****es will recommend but they're terrible

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Kenno90 wrote: »

Off to PC World then ;)

Avoid Belkin, it's probably what the gob****es will recommend but they're terrible

I've one 2 years and it's excellent! Turned off wireless on my Cisco EPC2425 and literally just connected 1 cable from Cisco LAN port to belkin WAN port and perfect since

Harvey Norman €50 :)

The belkin had tons of nice features, some I never use, powersave settings, etc, automatically turns power off mon to fri 9-5 ....

Never given me a days bother

OP you might have to end up using 2 routers, infact thats what UPC were offering as a wireless solution only recently until Scientific Atlanta were bought by Cisco (they used netgear wifi routers)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

I've one 2 years and it's excellent! Turned off wireless on my Cisco EPC2425 and literally just connected 1 cable from Cisco LAN port to belkin WAN port and perfect since

Harvey Norman €50 :)

The belkin had tons of nice features, some I never use, powersave settings, etc, automatically turns power off mon to fri 9-5 ....

Never given me a days bother

OP you might have to end up using 2 routers, infact thats what UPC were offering as a wireless solution only recently until Scientific Atlanta were bought by Cisco (they used netgear wifi routers)
    The scientific Atlanta box wasnt a router , It was a simple Coax - Ethernet Bridge to allow you to connect to their network.

Advertisement