Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Psychic Wayne on TV3

Options
  • 20-06-2012 3:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭

i know there are other threads relating to this, I just wanted to get the take of psychic enthusiasts on Psychic Wayne.

By the sounds of it many people in this forum are psychics or have been to see psychics - would this guy be fairly typical? Do you think he's talented? One would imagine he's well regarded to get a big TV gig on Ireland's 3rd most watched TV network.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

As psychics go, I think he has a way to go before he can gain any serious respect within psychic circles.

He does the bread-and-butter stuff fairly well. He mixes common sense seamlessly with barnum statements and he's good at coming up with vague statements on the spot. His ability go gather information and make inferences from his victims is pretty good too. On this day-to-day psychic stuff I'd rate him fairly highly.

Unfortunately, while the above will be good enough for one-to-one psychic readings in a stall at a fair or at the psychic's house, there's a lot more required to be a TV psychic and I don't think Wayne is cut out for it.

By its very nature, being a TV psychic opens up an ordinary psychic to a huge amount of exposure. This can be good commercially but it also allows the whole world to see what happens when things go wrong. For example, there may be píss-takers, trolls or other skeptic trying to expose the fraud.

This is where Wayne fails in my opinion. There are clips on other threads here where he is just unable to handle the unexpected. Normally, a decent psychic would have these calls screened and even if trolls get through, they would be able to handle them. Joe Coleman, for example is very capable in this department. Wayne, on the other hand, has looked like a deer in headlights on occasion.

He also seems to have a poor head for business which is another essential skill that any psychic should be able to master. For example, in a bid to cut costs, he appears to have fabricated other psychics on his team by using multiple stock-photos to give the impression that these faces were on his team when in fact there are only two or three. While this saves money in the short term, it's so easy to expose the dishonesty that it will always backfire. Russel Grant would never have his scam caught out like that.

I think that Wayne's days as a TV psychic are numbered. I expect that he'll go back to his roots, working out of the back of a caravan, and he'll need to learn the business side of things before he can return to our screens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭MrMojoRisin

Does this fella have his own sit-down TV show on there where he talks to people in person, or is it one of those stupid things where he's looking at the screen taking live calls from people and telling them sh!te in response?

If it's the latter, I might ring in for the craic one night. Tell him I want advice on getting the best out of my flock of sheep.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Does this fella have his own sit-down TV show on there where he talks to people in person, or is it one of those stupid things where he's looking at the screen taking live calls from people and telling them sh!te in response?

It's the latter. It's like those american ones that you might have come across over the years. It's actually so bad that I can't help watching it from time to time. There are youtube clips on the thread in the TV forum which show him getting caught out that are worth a look.

I'm going to follow the story to see how it all pans out because I don't think the show will last and I think that the end could be hilarious. It's only a matter of time before his operation is exposed for the con that it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,928 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Have to say I dont see how they can get a connection with someone through a telephone line and one that's costing €2.44 a minute. This isn't about peoples futures it's about their wallets and how much they can swindle out of vulnerable people. This show just shows up the charlitans for what they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKA085XZjvY&feature=share

Is this the guy? Who got conned with a call from The Fresh Prince?

I think theres been a few stories around this, something to do with the pictures that they have at the bottom of the screen being advertised as psychics but in reality they are stock pictures. You can pay to use them for anything.

http://www.thejournal.ie/tvs-psychic-wayne-readings-infomercial-keith-barry-numbers-pictures-499128-Jun2012/

• Advertisement

It's the latter. It's like those american ones that you might have come across over the years. It's actually so bad that I can't help watching it from time to time. There are youtube clips on the thread in the TV forum which show him getting caught out that are worth a look.

I know what you mean - it's so bad, it's good. :) A bit like The Jeremy Kyle show. I must take a look at those YT clips. I could do with a laugh.
    I'm going to follow the story to see how it all pans out because I don't think the show will last and I think that the end could be hilarious. It's only a matter of time before his operation is exposed for the con that it is.

Yeah, I'd say it'll have a short shelf life, not least because it's on fairly late at night on TV3 (of all channels). It wouldn't really be able to sustain sizeable viewing figures.

sambuka41 wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKA085XZjvY&feature=share

Is this the guy? Who got conned with a call from The Fresh Prince?

That is a classic! :pac: The guy on the phone basically takes all the fictional biographical lyrics from the theme tune to The Fresh Prince and puts an Irish spin on it. Lol. What a legend.

Wayne is some eejit for not copping on sooner. Unless he had never watched the show (and heard the theme tune), that is. :D

I see Wayne has his own YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Wayneisaacs It seems that he's fully aware that people are taking the piss out of him and the show and he's taking it on the chin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

That is a classic! :pac: The guy on the phone basically takes all the fictional biographical lyrics from the theme tune to The Fresh Prince and puts an Irish spin on it. Lol. What a legend.

ha ha yeah, I hadn't heard anything about tv 3 show when I seen this video. too funny. Seriously there should be some sort of screening process!!

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭8gbMadness

another scam by tv3. weasles

So, Keith Barry laid down the gauntlet to Psychic Wayne fairly recently on 98fm. Keith offered Wayne €50,000 of his own money to prove he could read for three people chosen by Keith 100% accurately and specifically.

Wayne agreed to do it, but before Keith could outline the details of the challenge (as above) for Wayne via email - which he said he would do, Wayne pulled out of the challenge two days later. :rolleyes:

It was laughable how Wayne said he would only be tested by "an independent body," and then he suggests that the body should be Arthur Findlay College or The College of Psychic Studies in London. "Independent" is right. :rolleyes:

Very funny:

There's been a bit of a Twitter war between Wayne and Keith, with Wayne accusing Keith of creating the challenge just to generate publicity for himself in the UK. Sure Keith is doing grand and already has had thousands and thousands of views on YouTube alone - I think it's Wayne who needs the feckin' publicity. And it's funny how Wayne says he wasn't interested in being in the media, yet he appears on a goddamn TV show every week.

TV3 have received quite a few complaints about Wayne, but have said it isn't their business to intervene because they simply buy the show and broadcast it - not make the show. It looks like they're passing the buck there.

http://www.thejournal.ie/tvs-psychic-wayne-readings-infomercial-keith-barry-numbers-pictures-499128-Jun2012/

I wonder whether or not there has been any more recent developments in Wayne agreeing to be tested (either by Keith or by someone else)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

I only read this post because I thought it was a story about Wayne Rooney taking advantage of Old Women, again !

Found out its just a story about a con man getting pranked by the Fresh Priince of Ballyfermot,

TV3 is getting scummier by the day, tabloid television at its worst

I only read this post because I thought it was a story about Wayne Rooney taking advantage of Old Women, again !

Lol! What's Rooney getting up to now? Sounds a bit dodgy, but then, that's him!
    Found out its just a story about a con man getting pranked by the Fresh Priince of Ballyfermot,

Sorry to dash your hopes, ha, ha. The Fresh Prince prank is a classic though. :D
    TV3 is getting scummier by the day, tabloid television at its worst

It is indeed. I have to admit I never liked the channel from the very start and, in fact, I don't really watch any Irish TV channels anymore (unless one of them is televising a football match, or boxing match, or something). I just can't be bothered.

TV3 must be very hard-up in trying to fill their late-night schedule by paying money to broadcast Psychic Wayne.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Melodi

Just a couple of notes, I will not go into details but the company that employees Wayne has also contacted a lot of Irish psychics, they are NOT part of TV 3 and they have similar shows all over the world.

While Wayne is responsible for what he does on his show in terms of answering people as they call in, he has no control over the way calls are screened/not screened, how the photos are used to encourage people to call in, how long they spend on-line etc.

If you watch some of this companies world-wide productions (on you-tube) you see that the level of "silly vs. serious" presentations varies with the part of the world being targeted.

One video from Oz has a rather respectable looking middle aged women in a pants suit, encouraging people to dance together in an "energy circle" with a total sincere face (can't even image doing that in Ireland). The level of "this is serious" seems higher than in what I've watched from the Irish show.

As for Wayne's level of expertise, that I don't know, I do know the company just does quick "skype tests" and decides who to employ (and I am not employed by them at the moment).

They then encourage everyone (including the hosts) to work very long telephone hours (again the folks on the phones are really pretty much at the mercy of the company - they do real readings, but they have no control over how long people wait for calls etc).

The show is kind of fun to watch once in awhile and I have still not totally decided if I would do it or not (if asked); but folks need to be aware that while some of the psychics handle the pressure well and others don't; they all have very little control of what is actually going on.

Also, TV 3 just pays to air the show, they have nothing really to do with its production etc.

Hope that helps,
    Melodi in the Midlands

Advertisement