Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What if theists found proof God didn't exist.

• 20-06-2012 3:24pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

How do you think they would take the news that God definitively didn't exist without any question of a doubt. Would we see crowds of people jumping off bridges, would we see crime soar, would these former theists become depressed?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,159 ✭✭✭frag420

How do you think they would take the news that God definitively didn't exist without any question of a doubt. Would we see crowds of people jumping off bridges, would we see crime soar, would these former theists become depressed?[/QUOTE]

Maybe they would see the light??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,118 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Much like their is no defininitive proof that God does exist, what proof could be possibly found that God doesn't exist. Religion is based on blind faith.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

How do you think they would take the news that God definitively did exist without any question of a doubt. Would we see crowds of people jumping off bridges, would we see crime soar, would these former atheists become depressed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,134 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

If in doubt, worship hard cash and SUVs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

How do you think they would take the news that God definitively didn't exist without any question of a doubt. Would we see crowds of people jumping off bridges, would we see crime soar, would these former theists become depressed?
    They'd still believe. There are still people who think this is a flat earth, believe the earth is center of the universe, ghosts, alien abduction, homeopathy... I'll stop the list, but you get the point.

There are a scary number of people who think their life is meaningless without their belief in god and can't conceive of why atheists don't just do exactly that. I would hope that those ones might find some other meaning instead of becoming depressed. Others would continue to think that even this proof is just a test of faith

biko wrote: »
    How do you think they would take the news that God definitively did exist without any question of a doubt. Would we see crowds of people jumping off bridges, would we see crime soar, would these former atheists become depressed?
    Which god?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Kurz

Who forgot to lock the door of the atheism forum?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

They'd take the 'proof' as a test of their faith by the almighty, I suspect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

I'd then know there is a God but think he's a right cnut who doesn't actually help people.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

What if theists found proof God didn't exist

I'm still waiting for them to prove he does....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

There would be a lot of people looking for their change back from the plate!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

Descartes would resurrect to write annendum

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

You raise a very good point.:)

Looking at a lot of the bible-thumpers, especially the money-grabbing, people-exploiting, warmongering evangelical loopies in the USA, news like that would probably be a mixture of good and bad.;)

The good news for them would be that Jesus is coming back. The bad news would be that he's really pissed off at them for being such cnuts in his name.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

To answer both the OP and Biko, the rational people would accept the proof if it's genuine and beyond any questioning. The zealots would continue to believe what they believe because it's ingrained in them to, it's their life.

Lots of people overlook the fact that being atheist is as much a belief as being theist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

Can you prove that the proof is not tampered with?

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭paulieeye

There'd be alot of "god works on mysterious ways.." or something

Guill wrote: »
    Can you prove that the proof is not tampered with?
    And can you prove that the proof of that isn't tampered with? Seriously, though, just respond as if the reliability was beyond reproach.

paulieeye wrote: »
    There'd be alot of "god works on mysterious ways.." or something

The greatest test of faith that God gave us humans is the 'proof' that he does not exist...

• Advertisement

Pushtrak wrote: »
    And can you prove that the proof of that isn't tampered with? Seriously, though, just respond as if the reliability was beyond reproach.

I was giving you a answer that the thiests will reply with.

• Site Banned Posts: 222 ✭✭bee_keeper

id put my enemy list to use

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Guys seriously people have different beliefs get over it. Im an athiest but I fail to see what spending my time bashing other peoples lifestyle will achieve.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

I would be both intrigued and nervous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Imagine we found out he did exist, that would be scarey.

Priests would be working overtime taking confession.

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Guys seriously people have different beliefs get over it. Im an athiest but I fail to see what spending my time bashing other peoples lifestyle will achieve.

There was no intention on my part to slag off theists, that's been done to death, just curious how they would take the news.

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Ask religious leaders.
    I already made the point, but I'll reiterate... Which "he" and how would we know it was a "he"?

Schism wrote: »
    Priests would be working overtime taking confession.

depends on which god

• Advertisement

bluewolf wrote: »
    depends on which god

Priests, amongst other clergy, holy people. Pedant :p

depends on which god

Imagine it was Odin!

Schism wrote: »
    Priests, amongst other clergy, holy people. Pedant :p

I don't think Odin would want any confessions though!!

Guill wrote: »
    Imagine it was Odin!
    I don't think Odin would want any confessions though!!

Ah Odin, the coolest of all deities.

kali or krishna or ganesh would be cool too

Santa Claus

Santa Claus is said to be largely based on Odin,
    merged with the Christian legend of Saint Nicholas of
    Myra
    .Most Christmas traditions in Germanic countries derive from celebrations of the
    pagan winter solstice holiday Yule as a result of the gradual merging of the two
    holidays.

Santa is real!?

• Advertisement

It's entirely possible Guill. We've already established beyond question* that Odin is real.

*Nobody questions Odin, not nobody!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,383 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

kali or krishna or ganesh would be cool too

Check out this place Blue ;)

http://victoriasway.eu/

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭hyperborean

Would they lose their sense of humor?

Check out this place Blue ;)

http://victoriasway.eu/

that is so cool! thanks :)

I dont know which is harder to believe

That there is a god

Or

Athiests will actually do some work and look. Unless there is a book deal of course :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

It is impossible to prove that something doesn't exist, is it not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

That there is a god

Or

Athiests will actually do some work and look. Unless there is a book deal of course :)

Wonder how you'd propose people look for a fictional construct.

Perhaps they could start by asking the muffin man, who lives in Drury Lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

There are a scary number of people who think their life is meaningless without their belief in god and can't conceive of why atheists don't just do exactly that. I would hope that those ones might find some other meaning instead of becoming depressed. Others would continue to think that even this proof is just a test of faith

Id get extremely depressed if I was told for sure there was no God or afterlife,might even consider suicide:(. I just cant take or comprehend dying and thats that, there has to be something after life!Id be so scared if I knew for definite there was no god..even thinking about it makes me feel sick..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Why are there so many atheists on boards like compared to real life? Most well atleast more than half of people I know believe in God, but almost nobody on here seems to believe in god? Or is it just the atheists voicing their opinion moreso than the believers?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

It would be reasonably difficult. I think the way it works is, until you have proof of the positive, you go with the negative.

Occam's Razor and ****.

It is impossible to prove that something doesn't exist, is it not?

That's why I say if, imagine that scenario.

That there is a god

Or

*Rolls up sleeves*

So, how would one go about this work? What kind of equipment, skillset, tools, techniques, strategies would one undertake in this work? What would one use to look? Would the eyes suffice? Binoculars? Telescope? Microscope?
    bb1234567 wrote: »
    Id get extremely depressed if I was told for sure there was no God or afterlife,might even consider suicide:(. I just cant take or comprehend dying and thats that, there has to be something after life!Id be so scared if I knew for definite there was no god..even thinking about it makes me feel sick..
    And this is why religion survives.
    Why are there so many atheists on boards like compared to real life? Most well atleast more than half of people I know believe in God, but almost nobody on here seems to believe in god? Or is it just the atheists voicing their opinion moreso than the believers?
    In real life, if a religious person comes across a dissenter, it is agree to disagree and if anything more is said then it is disrespectful. No matter how or who brings it up. Online, a person can post or not post at their leisure. If a position can't be defended, you just have to not post. That's all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭McG

For what is a very important aspect of someone's life you'll probably find that many "believers" haven't actually thought about it very much so don't have particularly strong feelings on the subject. In general, in a country like Ireland, those that see themselves as Atheists have put more thought into the topic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,134 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Their friends and families probably got fed up listening to them, so they had to go somewhere else to vent.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,270 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Odds on those that rely on religion would continue to rely on it. Though thousands of Irish people would finally be able to get their mammies to let them not go to mass...

Were it the other way around, I'd imagine theists being rational people would start looking for a means of communicating with the Deity that amounted to more than speaking to oneself...

• Advertisement
Advertisement