Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What if theists found proof God didn't exist.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Pushtrak wrote: »
    Ask religious leaders.

I already made the point, but I'll reiterate... Which "he" and how would we know it was a "he"?
    I'll allow George Carlin to explain that one.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

This would happen
    Homer: Hey, Flanders, heading for church? Well, I thought I
    could save you a little time.

Ned: Oooh, found a new shortcut.

Homer: Better. I was working on a flat tax proposal and I
    accidentally proved there's no God. [shows Flanders a
    sheet of paper with complex figuring on it]

Ned: [flustered] We'll just see about that. [reads the paper]
    Uh-oh. Well, maybe he made a mistake. [checks it again]
    Nope, it's airtight. Can't let this little doozy get out.
    [uses a lighter to burn the proof]

What i dont get is , Why Atheists who dont believe in god have more of a need to shove this down peoples throats more so then believer's .

If you dont believe in something move on and stop talking about it. Instead you actually start groups with monthly meetings give lectures and have figure heads making you if not worse then an actual religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

What i dont get is , Why Atheists who dont believe in god have more of a need to shove this down peoples throats more so then believer's .

If you dont believe in something move on and stop talking about it. Instead you actually start groups with monthly meetings give lectures and have figure heads making you if not worse then an actual religion.

But if they didn't how would you contrive ways to feel superior to both?

Any vocal atheists past teenage years are usually vocal because believers won't leave them alone. Of course it seems like a fuss when everyone's used to the believers having their say on everything first.

"i'll pray for you"
    "if you don't baptise your child i'll kidnap it and baptise it myself"
    "of course you can't get married without the religion then it's just civil ceremony"
    "you're going to hell if you don't convert"
    "are you ever going to mass again"
    "who cares if your child is being brainwashed from kindergarten onwards and being brought on school trips to churches without your knowledge, give them some choice"
    "gay marriage shouldn't be allowed because it's against my religion and that means everyone else shouldnt get it either"

"can you please lay off i don't believe in your god ok"
    "OMG STOP BEING SO VOCAL!!!"

But if they didn't how would you contrive ways to feel superior to both?

I dont need that to feel superior. Im the one saying i dont know if there is a god.

As i said both believers and atheists are making claims yet both cant back them up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

I can't speak for anyone else, obviously. I'd like to see a secular government. As in, no religion put above another. Any policies should not favour any. There are religious people who are secularists, yes and different people will have different approaches.

Some will try and point out secular government is better and why one might come to recognise such a thing. For instance, one would rather live under a secular government than a government that didn't believe in what that particular person believes in.

Me? I like discussions on religion and demonstrating why I find it has flaws and trying to get an understanding on why people believe what they believe. It doesn't just apply to religion though. I find myself talking to people about UFO abduction, aliens and other stuff too. I'm interested in why people believe what they believe regardless of what the evidence or facts say. I'm interested in the things that make people say "I wish I lived in a world where this was true" as if the world we actually live was in any way dull. It is fascinating, and I don't understand the mindset of those who don't get this. (As in, the mindset of "why talk about it".)

Pope blather
    Pope Benedict XVI raises his voice against the "dominant culture of secularism in America" and, between the lines, he attacks Obama's policy in favor of contraception, gay marriage and abortion, preventing a true freedom of conscience to American Catholics.

In this important meeting Pope called on the church in America, including politicians and other laypeople, to render "public moral witness" on crucial social issues and to "counter the reductive secularism that would delegitimize the Church's participation in public debate on issues critical to the future of American society", as the Church "has a crucial role to play in countering the cultural currents that, based on extreme individualism, seek to promote concepts of freedom separated from moral truth". Benedict XVI does not hide his concern in a crucial year for the fate of the United States and consequently in the Western world.
    As i said both believers and atheists are making claims yet both cant back them up.
    What claim does an atheist make? Not believing? That isn't a claim, that is a rejection of a claim.

I am happy about something though. This...
    Details will also emerge of how denominational schools in smaller communities will be expected to cater for children of other faiths, as more than 95% of the country’s 3,300 primary schools remain in the control of religious patrons, including 90% where the Catholic bishop is the patron.

This will most likely involve changes to the law to uphold the rights of pupils at schools with religious patrons if they belong to a different faith, or none. There could also be moves to remove the legal entitlement of schools to give preference to children of their own faith to cover the 20% of schools where demand exceeds available places.
    Hopefully that in some form answers your question.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Why people are vocal about religion is not because it is simply religion, it is because it affects people. Would you like if a family member was beaten up or killed for being gay? Now the religion doesn't preach that this should happen, but what it does preach is that certain fundamental things are evil and wrong, which is just propagating hate. It's much more obvious in other countries rather than here, people get harassed quite a lot to the point of being killed or killing themselves(one of the main inventors of the computer for example). Not only this but to preach things as evil/wrong actually ends up in a lack of things like contraception and medicines. I don't think people should just be silent over such injustice. It's not that people are preaching the definition of atheism, a lack of belief in god/s (although I do agree there are plenty of moronic preaching aggressive atheists), they are trying to protect peoples rights. Believe what you want, as long as it doesn't impact others aka creationism in schools and a religious government.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

How many atheists have rung your doorbell in the past to try and talk to you about... Well, nothing much?

How many atheist billboards have you seen in the last eternity or so?

How many atheists have you seen standing outside Ann Summers on a Saturday, shouting at people going in and out through a megaphone?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

bluewolf wrote: »
    Others would continue to think that even this proof is just a test of faith

I think Bluewolf has hit on the most likely outcome.

Evidence is useless in the face of blind faith.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

I'll answer this from my (theist) perspective. It would be upsetting to me, unsettling, a bit of upheaval, but then life is full of those things anyway. I wouldn't feel that life had lost all meaning, and I'd still see the value in living a decent, ethical life. Then again, I don't believe in God because I fear what happens after I die, it's more about my life here and now. I think that a lot of fundamentalist types who had built a world view based on fear wouldn't react too well though.

Would we see crowds of people jumping off bridges, would we see crime soar, would these former theists become depressed?

Yes. Because without a belief in the magical sky daddy society is doomed to spiral downward into crime and depravity.

This is why the Scandanavian countries that are majority atheist are such lawless hell holes.

Oh wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭previous user

Quazzie wrote: »
    Much like their is no defininitive proof that God does exist, what proof could be possibly found that God doesn't exist. Religion is based on blind faith.

I think I read somewhere in the bible once that God is evident when you listen closely to nature and you hear the grass and the trees singing and stuff. I think it was in Psalms. so that's more that faith Imo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 141 ✭✭Patrick Cleburne

Quazzie wrote: »
    Much like their is no defininitive proof that God does exist, what proof could be possibly found that God doesn't exist. Religion is based on blind faith.
    You could use that argument for anything. Believing in god isn't the same as assuming when you go to sit down the chair won't break. The chair actually exists and you could check it out before you sit down.

Believing in god is as rational as believing in a magic dragon or a giant invisible mountain which flies in the Sky at night. All have as much logic and rational behind them as believing in any god Christian or Islamic. It should not be an argument about why do you believe in god but why do you believe in things you can't see, touch, measure or rationally explain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭hyperborean

You could use that argument for anything. Believing in god isn't the same as assuming when you go to sit down the chair won't break. The chair actually exists and you could check it out before you sit down.

Believing in god is as rational as believing in a magic dragon or a giant invisible mountain which flies in the Sky at night. All have as much logic and rational behind them as believing in any god Christian or Islamic. It should not be an argument about why do you believe in god but why do you believe in things you can't see, touch, measure or rationally explain.

The funny thing I find is how fundamental athiests think current logic and rational is impervious to questioning, but less funny and more disturbing is the pack mentality of the boards athiest click... they would be laughable if they didnt roll out out their pet admin when they can't continue an proper debate, ban hammer flying

Kind of like what the catholics/church used to do in Ireland years ago to stifle and questioning of their beliefs.

Kind of like what the muslims are currently doing in fundamenatlist area's of the middle east and asia,

A bit hypocritical I would say,

The fundamental athiests really do come across as bullies around here but most non religious/non athiest normal types of folk just try to stay out of their way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I think I read somewhere in the bible once that God is evident when you listen closely to nature and you hear the grass and the trees singing and stuff. I think it was in Psalms. so that's more that faith Imo.

If this happens, I think acid is evident, not god:D

The fundamental athiests really do come across as bullies around here but most non religious/non athiest normal types of folk just try to stay out of their way.

Is there such a thing as a fundamental atheist? Kinda smells of the whole atheism as religion nonsense you hear a lot of these days. There aren't really grades or creeds of atheists, it's a black and white deal - you're either in or your out. There aren't any prizes for believing less, or not believing more, or however you'd like to phrase it, than the next guy. You either believe or you don't - that's it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

What i dont get is , Why Atheists who dont believe in god have more of a need to shove this down peoples throats more so then believer's

I think it's more the other way around, with religion being forced upon us.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Dionysius2

The guy who nailed it best for me was he who said that "Religion is a system of Social Control....the best there has ever been....and nothing else".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I'm not sure about proof as you can't prove a negative but evidence is another story.

You can falsify the theory of a God which lets be honest, has kind of been done already. Religion just finds a way to move the goal posts and carry on.

• Advertisement

This is hillarious.:D

I vaguely remember the church having some sort of regular get together - i think it was every sunday!
    Also, you dont get thrown of the atheist club if you don't go to the meetings, in fact they couldn't care less. I've never been to one, i probably never will be, and they STILL let me be one! No collection plates and envelopes to fix their eternally leaky roof or nothing. I can ride whoever i like, man or woman, they don't care! They don't even make me pledge my kids to them for all eternity. Dre, it's like the best god damn club EVER!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,383 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

What's all this talk aboot there being no God.................next thing yis will be saying "There Is No Santa" or that "The Wrasling Is Fixed" :mad:

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users Posts: 9,349 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

How do you think they would take the news that God definitively didn't exist without any question of a doubt. Would we see crowds of people jumping off bridges, would we see crime soar, would these former theists become depressed?

There was an author who once wrote a novel around that very topic. The Author clearly though the answer to your post was "Yes". It was not a _bad_ book though, grab a copy if you see one. It is called "When it was dark" by Guy Thorne.

The book was more about the Resurrection not happening than about God per se, but the general theme was essentially the same.

Advertisement