Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom pole erected without permission

Options
  • 20-06-2012 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

Hi,

As I was leaving the house today I came across an eircom lorry installing poles between my neighbours house and mine.

I asked what were they doing to which they replied "your neighbour's line is faulty so we're re-routing their line. We'll go up as far as your site and then run a wire across it."

I replied shocked, saying "ye can't just put up poles and wires over people's properties" to which they replied, "don't take it out on us we're just the foot soldiers - you'll have to take it up with someone"

Can they do this? Should I have at least been contacted first? Does anyone know what my options are please?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

You may remove it and bill them. They charge €5000 to move a pole so that is the going rate if you do so for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

foghlu77 wrote: »
    Hi,

As I was leaving the house today I came across an eircom lorry installing poles between my neighbours house and mine.

I asked what were they doing to which they replied "your neighbour's line is faulty so we're re-routing their line. We'll go up as far as your site and then run a wire across it."

I replied shocked, saying "ye can't just put up poles and wires over people's properties" to which they replied, "don't take it out on us we're just the foot soldiers - you'll have to take it up with someone"

Can they do this? Should I have at least been contacted first? Does anyone know what my options are please?

Hi foghlu77,

Thank you for your post.

Can you PM me and provide me with more details in order to investigate this query.

I would appreciate if possible, if you could give me your name, address and contact number, plus any relevant information on the installation : the site property and confirm if you are the owner of the property affected.

Generally, planning permission or local county /council authorization is required for on site pole and telephone line installation /erection. It may therefore take a little time to gather this information.

As soon as I have these details I will investigate this and advise you further.

Best wishes,
    Ant

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

Aren't Eircom exempt from planning permission requirements with regard to poles?

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭foghlu77

I have sent you a PM of the details you require and will update responses here as and when I get them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

I have sent you a PM of the details you require and will update responses here as and when I get them.

Hi foghlu77,

I found your neighbors telephone number through your address. I checked the fault and yes a new pole needed to be put up to restore service. However the pole was put up on public land and planning permission needs to be applied for and granted by the local council before work would be carried out by eircom technicians / contractors.

There would be a cost involved if you are unhappy with the placing of the pole and request to have it moved.

Let me know if you have any follow up queries.

Thanks, Mark

• Advertisement

Hello Mark,

I presume you mean 'public land' is the ditch?

I'm not concerned with the placing of the pole (if this is considered public land) but I am concerned with the telephone line which spans the width of my site obstructing both my view and the transport of my boat in the Winter.

I would have like to have been notified and can't see why Eircom couldn't bury the telephone line or discussed alternative options with me opposed to what you have done.

Can you please let me know whom I need to contact about this to discuss this matter further and hopefully get resolved?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

Hello Mark,

I presume you mean 'public land' is the ditch?

I'm not concerned with the placing of the pole (if this is considered public land) but I am concerned with the telephone line which spans the width of my site obstructing both my view and the transport of my boat in the Winter.

I would have like to have been notified and can't see why Eircom couldn't bury the telephone line or discussed alternative options with me opposed to what you have done.

Can you please let me know whom I need to contact about this to discuss this matter further and hopefully get resolved?

Hi foghlu77,

I am following up with our repairs department and I should be back to you with an update early next week.

Thanks, Mark

Hello Mark,

Can you advise re: your follow up with the Eircom repairs department please as it is now the end of the week?

Regards,

Foghlu77

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

Hello Mark,

Can you advise re: your follow up with the Eircom repairs department please as it is now the end of the week?

Regards,

Foghlu77

Hi Foghlu77
    Mark is off for a few days but has escalated this with the area technical manager. I have pushed again for update on this and will be back to you as soon as I get this.
    Tony

Hello Mark,

Regards,

Foghlu77

Hi foghlu77
    You should have received a call from local tech manager Michael and he will have a look at this for you today or tomorrow. He wil lbe in contact once he has accessed the situation.
    Let me know if any further intervention required.
    Tony

• Advertisement

Hi Tony,

I received a call from Michael and he is going to view tomorrow and discuss if I have options. I will post my outcome when I receive it. Thanks for your help so far.

Foghlu77

Hi Tony,

I received a call from Michael and he is going to view tomorrow and discuss if I have options. I will post my outcome when I receive it. Thanks for your help so far.

Foghlu77

Ok foghlu77
    and hope this can be resolved for you.
    Tony

Hi Tony,

Foghlu77

Hi Foghlu
    Local area manager has advised me that he has spoken with you and that this can be moved to more suitable position. Hope new position works out better.
    Tony

Hi Tony,

The local area manager came and inspected the position of the pole. He said that Eircom will not bury the line as the costs would be too much but they are prepared to move the pole to the opposite side of the road which will still obstruct my view but allow access to my property.

I would obviously have preferred the line to be buried but am appreciative that Eircom met me half way.

Thanks for your help with this matter.

Foghlu77

Advertisement