Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laser card fraud, Do they actually track down the criminals?

Options
  • 20-06-2012 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Last Sunday I noticed my wallet missing, it had been stolen from my jacket a couple of hours before when I was out on a night out, canceled my card but have noticed a couple of hundred Euro missing. An online gambling website and as seen in many other threads mobile topup from EIRSHOP which are a subsidiary of meteor and vodafone by the looks of things,

Now I have gone through the proper measures, and my chip and pin where not used so it looks hopeful that I will get my money back, now not to slate some of our work force here and Authorities before I see the end result but I am not confident that for a couple of hundred euro the person / persons responsible will be tracked down, by the times used it seems the users would not have access to wifi in say an internet cafe, and would have to have used maybe a personal internet connection, not only this mobile topup? could this not be easily tracked down to a user aslong as the phone provider had there contact details?,

What I'm trying to get at is, that this is not an isolated incident especially with EIRSHOP, do these matters actual get investigated or is it not worth while for the banks to do so?, I know a decent amount of internet security and know with a few hours work there is a good chance the user would be tracked down unless they have been extremely smart which I very much doubt.

Gambling site logs, IP address of user who debited money with card number, contact ISP obtain house address of specific IP used at that time, or possibly even easier just get the mobile number the amount was credited to contact phone provider and see if the user is registered.

I know the above information is not readily available w/o a court order etc.

Does anyone have any experience following or in-fact working with such cases and would know what my rights are to bring the people to justice?, do I have rights to see the case pursued once I'm given my money back?

This is happening way too often and it seems the people doing it are not scared to do so, possible by the lack of justice that will be done.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I only have experience of when the older cards were used in shops and the slip was signed. Latter we got a call to say a card that was used was stolen, we would have the time from the cc machine. Twice the police came and took the cctv of the person who presented the card but we never heard anything else about it . Also the 2 people continued to shop in the department store, so it didnt look as if anything was done.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 zodiac

Yup thanks wmpdd3, it really does seem that very little is done to catch these small cases, it's just a drop in the ocean for the banks and they really don't like publicizing fraud, I'll keep this thread alive until I found out the outcome, I'm not going to be happy by just a reinburstment and am going to push at the banks fraud department to see how these cases are handled,
    In the mean time I will have to confirm this but surely we have rights to follow a cases investigation until the end, obviously we would not be privy of certain information but I'd like to be awkward and see this get's the intention all these cases desirve.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭paulgs

I have had this happen twice now and my wife once. When I was canceling my card the guy in card services said he had never heard of eirshop when I asked why they were not doing something about it. All you have to do is google eirshop and multiple hits come up about card fraud.
    I think I might threaten them with a complaint to the financial regulator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

zodiac wrote: »
    Yup thanks wmpdd3, it really does seem that very little is done to catch these small cases, it's just a drop in the ocean for the banks and they really don't like publicizing fraud, I'll keep this thread alive until I found out the outcome, I'm not going to be happy by just a reinburstment and am going to push at the banks fraud department to see how these cases are handled,
    In the mean time I will have to confirm this but surely we have rights to follow a cases investigation until the end, obviously we would not be privy of certain information but I'd like to be awkward and see this get's the intention all these cases desirve.

it really depends. Since the advent of chip and pin the onus is on the retailer to make sure that procedures are followed properly so it is the retailer who is out of pocket if a card is presented for payment and it is NOT authorised through C&P.

A larger retailer may have more clout with pushing it along with the gardai, especially if the amount inviolved is a large sum of money.

having said that, if the payments were authorised through C&P, then it would have been you who would have been out of pocket.

The bank only take the hit if the card has been reported as stolen, and is presented AFTER the reporting.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Be well and win

I've been approached by the Gardai who were investigating frauds that took place via my companies website. It was basically purchasing using fake laser card numbers. There have also been plenty of cases of people using and producing fake cards being prosecuted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 bell_d

They don't make much of an effort anyway! I had my card copied and they ordered €40 worth of dominos pizza online for delivery with it! All the fraud squad had to do was get the delivery address off dominos and they would have found out who it was! They also tried to transfer €1200 out of my account but luckily I didn't have that much in it :p

Advertisement