Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sweep Yay or Nay?

Options
  • 20-06-2012 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭

I'm 36 weeks, was told by midwife today to go back to them at 39 weeks and I will be offered a sweep.
    What are people's opinions on these? Will it bring on labour? Is it dangerous, unnecessary?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

As far as I know it's not dangerous.

My sister had one around 40 wks +7 and went into labour the next day.

One of the main drawbacks, I've heard, is it can be very uncomfortable!

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭littlemissfixit

I have had two sweep, one at 40+8 and at 40+10. As far as I know they are not dangerous, and no more uncomfortable than smears for me anyway.
    They didnt work in my case even though I was very favorable (dilated 2-3cm and effaced), I had my membranes ruptured at 40+11.
    I dont know if I would have had one before I was actually overdue, dates can be wrong and the baby could still come when he's ready. Like to think nature should take its course, when possible.
    Once I got overdue by more than a week and it was offered I thought there was maybe more risks in waiting longer than trying to help things along (plus I was quite fed up and couldnt stand the waiting around everyday for something to happen).
    Anyway, I think here they will induced for first preg at +10 and subsequent preg at max +14 or so I have been told.
    Only you can decide, there is still very good chance that baby will show up when time is right!

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭sonandheir

i got a sweep at 40weeks,didn't work for me,its grand its quick and over before you know it,i eventually got induced,went nine days over,best of luck:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Only work if you are favourable so ask the doctor to make sure your cervix is short and you are effacing if not there's probably no point in doing one. I know on my second daughter my consultant wouldn't do a sweep because I was not favourable I went into labour a week later on my due date and gave birth the day after.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭SSFG

What exactly is a sweep ladies? I've heard of them, but have never seen them mentioned in any books, it's not the same as actually being induced is it? (Spot the dopey first timer!!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

A sweep is when the doc basically inserts a finger & rubs it along the top of the cervix - the point is that it helps trigger labour, so it is a form of induction.

There is a possibility it can help bring on labour - again, as others have said, if you're already getting close (at which point I think it's kind of pointless to do it as you're almost there). But there is a possibility that it can create an infection (any foreign body inserted into the body can do this).

The doc did a sweep on me when I was 41 weeks with my first daughter. I didn't know what she was doing, she just said "sure, you're probably only a couple days away but I'll just help things along" and next thing I knew it was done. Not what I would have wanted had I known what she was doing, but that's another matter for another day. I did feel weird that night - quite nauseous, but labour started at 4am the next morning. Whether that's down to nature or sweep I can't be sure.

OP - I personally think getting a sweep is not a good idea at 39 weeks. Your body may not yet be fully prepared for labour, nor your baby fully ready for delivery. If you're 41 weeks then ok, but at 39 weeks I would steer clear and give your body more time. Just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

My first child arrived right on time and thats why she suggested the sweep.
    Tbh, i think this baby is ready now! and i have haemoroids which are quite uncomfortable which is another reason why she suggested the sweep.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭SSFG

You'd be considered full term at 37 weeks anyway, wouldn't see the harm of having a sweep at 39 weeks. If you needed to be induced at 39 weeks it would be perfectly safe as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭LilMrsDahamsta

I had a sweep at 40+5. Things were already starting to move along very slowly, but it would have taken another few days at least, I'd say. Labour started within about 6 hrs and baby arrived a day and a half later (he turned the wrong way round at the last minute so progress was slow initially). Id have one again no question if I went over; not sure I'd be happy at 39 wks unless medically advised. As others have said, dates can be wrong. My guy was apparently 40+3 at birth (he was part of a research study so got v detailed assessment for that), even though docs maintained he was 40+7 by dates all along.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

Also it should be said plainly that a sweep does not have a guarantee of inducing labour. A friend had a sweep at 40 weeks & again at 41 weeks (after she had been mildly contracting for days), and neither sweep had any effect on her.

So it can help induce, or it may not. It may cause infection, or it may not. All's to be weighed up in the decision of whether or not to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

SSFG wrote: »
    You'd be considered full term at 37 weeks anyway, wouldn't see the harm of having a sweep at 39 weeks. If you needed to be induced at 39 weeks it would be perfectly safe as well?

I'd agree with this, 39 or 40 weeks on is fine for a sweep if favourable, definitely not before though, in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

I had a sweep at 40 + 4. Unfortunately it didn't work for me.

Advertisement