Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

No jail for father who killed his daughter's rapist

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

vicwatson wrote: »
    I wouldn't just kill the attacker, I go kill his family too, and his family's family.

That would make you a murderer. And murder is an even worse crime than rape.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Ah Texas, they just do things right there.

Delighted, the guy definately should not have faced any charges, imagine how many childrens lives he saved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

kfallon wrote: »
    However my heart goes out to the little daughter, her innocence may well be gone forever and there is a real possibility this will have psychological problems in years to come. Hope she overcomes them and goes on to lead a very normal life.

It was a single attack immediately after being snatched so the chances of her recovering psychologically are good. Where there is grooming over a period of years there is real damage done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

Its good to see every one who posted agrees with the judgement.so the do gooder brigade on a day off then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Well done Texas!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

hondasam wrote: »
    What is wrong with you? you would kill innocent people ffs I give up.

I'm afraid you're feeding the troll. ;);)

Murder is an even worse crime than rape, and anyone who would boast of his willingness to kill someone's family has to be trolling. If, nevertheless, he is serious, he should get help immediately.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

crazygeryy wrote: »
    Its good to see every one who posted agrees with the judgement.so the do gooder brigade on a day off then?

I'd say they're picking their battles. Its interesting to see all the public campaigns against drug dealers getting kneecapped in Derry but when pedos are executed or given beatings its not even reported.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

It was a single attack immediately after being snatched so the chances of her recovering psychologically are good. Where there is grooming over a period of years there is real damage done.

Holy **** hadn't thought of it that way at all, but I agree with you. Lesser of the two evils if there was one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭southcentralts

By killing the guy this man is a hero. What would have happened if the rapist had served time in prison, then was released? How many more children would be at risk?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    I'm afraid you're feeding the troll. ;);)

Murder is an even worse crime than rape, and anyone who would boast of his willingness to kill someone's family has to be trolling. If, nevertheless, he is serious, he should get help immediately.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I'm afraid it's against the charter to call someone a troll.

Anyone that commits such a heinious crime on a child must be taken out, the blood line should be stopped, it's all bad. I'm not for murder but not sure I'd be able to stop at the rapist perpetrator!

By killing the guy this man is a hero. What would have happened if the rapist had served time in prison, then was released? How many more children would be at risk?

Its possible that he would have been reformed by the system.
    Unfortunately the cost if prison doesn't work is huge so its often better dealt with "within the community" so to speak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Anyone that commits such a heinious crime on a child must be taken out, the blood line should be stopped, it's all bad. I'm not for murder but not sure I'd be able to stop at the rapist perprator!

Utter crap. One of my siblings is a pedophile, do you think I or my children should be euthanised because of the crimes of another?

Anyone that commits such a heinious crime on a child must be taken out, the blood line should be stopped, it's all bad. I'm not for murder but not sure I'd be able to stop at the rapist perprator!

If your justification is based on bloodline and not on an absolute punishment I would be interested to hear your thoughts. I think that given that there is no evidence of a pedo gene that can be inherited by offspring it is unwarranted to wipe out his family too.

PS I'm not advocating murder - just that if it happened to my children I'm not so sure my anger would stop at the perpetrator, that's all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

PS I'm not advocating murder - just that if it happened to my children I'm not so sure my anger would stop at the perpetrator, that's all.

Please don't have kids, by your logic they will have inherited your brand of crazy :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Anyone that commits such a heinious crime on a child must be taken out, the blood line should be stopped, it's all bad. I'm not for murder but not sure I'd be able to stop at the rapist perpetrator!

Where do you start and where do you finish eliminating the family line?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Facts of the case aside. Will this not set a dangerous legal precedent?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

hondasam wrote: »
    Where do you start and where do you finish eliminating the family line?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

As a rule I don't condone violence of any kind, however when it comes to crimes against children and dealing with the scum who commit such crimes all bets are off. This man did what any Father would have done in his position and the correct decision has been made imo.

Regarding the comment about not being able to stop at just the perpatraitor I think that's just going too far. Unless the family/friends of the perpatraitors knew about and covered up the crime I think swearing vengence on them is unwarrented and unfair.

These were very specific circumstances. I mentioned my reasons before:
    Protecting his daughter from a very serious crime.
    Happened immediately after said crime (not cold revenge)
    Clear evidence and not acting on rumour.
    He tried to save the scumbags life by calling 911.

• Advertisement

Every case on their circumstances, but you are right it could indeed. Public opinion would be right on your side and it be hard for any jury to go against that in my opinon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

No. It doesn't set any precedent. The right to self defense in Texas and most of the US, also applies to your defending of others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Excellent decision, i would have murdered the fúck out of him as well.

I'd say they're picking their battles. Its interesting to see all the public campaigns against drug dealers getting kneecapped in Derry but when pedos are executed or given beatings its not even reported.

You're not seriously comparing the rape of a five year old to drug dealing are you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

What I'd love to know is if it had happened in Ireland would the father be tried for murder/man-slaughter?. I think it would be hard to find a jury to convict him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

crazygeryy wrote: »

You know that the "do-gooder" brigade as ignorant people insist on calling the are resposnsible for the vast majority of the rights that you and I take for granted these days?

Context is everything.

So...lemme get this straight. You're so outraged by the rape of an innocent child that...hold on...you'd go out and murder innocent children?

You're either a troll or a twisted moron.

You're not seriously comparing the rape of a five year old to drug dealing are you?

What? No.

The topic was about do gooders picking arguments.
    I was saying that drug dealing is a much lesser crime so people protest about them being kneecapped. When it comes to something as serious as this public opinion is in favour of capital punishment and "the do gooders" are quiet.

Einhard wrote: »
    You know that the "do-gooder" brigade as ignorant people insist on calling the are resposnsible for the vast majority of the rights that you and I take for granted these days?

Context is everything.

So...lemme get this straight. You're so outraged by the rape of an innocent child that...hold on...you'd go out and murder innocent children?

Go jump Einhard

What? No.

I was saying that drug dealing is a much lesser crime so people protest about them being kneecapped. When it comes to something as serious as this public opinion is in favour of capital punishment and "the do gooders" are quiet.

It's all about context. It's understandable that the father lost it when he saw what was happening to his daughter, and his actions stemming from that were understandable. I don't think there would be the same reaction had the man who raped his daughter been sentenced to life, say, but killed by the father as he was being lef from the courtroom.

I'd also point out, that the father in this instance also tried to save the life of the man who raped his daughter. Its clear from the transcripts that he didn't want him to die, and was asking the police how he would recussitate him. I s'pose he too must be a do-gooder, eh?

Go jump Einhard

Or what...you'll kill me...and my family...and my dogs...and my dogs' family...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

Completely agree with the decision, come on though, the fela McNally got left off for murder when he beat a pavee like a 'badger', I think/hope if the same thing happened here we'd have the same result.
    I'd like to think I'd be man enough to kill the fela, medals should be awarded with ceremonies and trophies and plaques for this sort of thing.
    Clap clap clap clap clap.

What? No.

How do you know the same people who object to drug dealers being kneecapped aren't on here lauding this decision.

I'm one of them for instance.

And for me it is not picking battles, it's having the cop on to know that dealing drugs pales in comparison to raping a child. It doesn't warrent violence imo. Prison is enough punishment for the DD, but there is no adequate punishment for scum like the man this Father killed. In a way even death is too good for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Einhard wrote: »
    Go jump Einhard
    Play nice, girls.

/mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭brandon_flowers

I will just leave this here, its pretty similar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,439 ✭✭✭weemcd

He's obviously a decent guy calling for help, I don't have kids, but I would have took great satisfaction in watching the cúnt bleed out, watch the life go out of his eyes knowing he could never try to do something like that again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 741 ✭✭✭therewillbe

As it should be.Scumbag is better off dead .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

I'm going to make myself unpopular (if not already). In the rush of emotion here, people appear incapable of telling the difference between justice and vengeance.

The father should have been charged, manslaughter with diminished responsibility may have been appropriate in this case. If guilty, it would then be up to a judge to determine whether a custodial sentence was warranted given the mitigating circumstances (I realise minimum sentences may have made the jury reluctant to take this action but sentencing is a matter for judges not juries to consider).

"No charge" is ridiculous.

For those posters so concerned about the child, it should be noted that they now have experienced TWO traumatic events in close proximity. One, sexual assault and two, their attacker being killed. Both have massive psychological impact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

ken wrote: »
    What I'd love to know is if it had happened in Ireland would the father be tried for murder/man-slaughter?. I think it would be hard to find a jury to convict him.

You would probably see a very tough sentence. Judges here seem to go hard on people who take the law into their own hands.

Fair play to the man though. He just snuffed out the rapist scums life. He won't rape anyone again where he is now. Its the place all child rapists shout be 6 ft under.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Great news.

On a school visit to Mountjoy in Transition year, a prisoner was brought in to talk to us. His was much the same crime, he beat a man who was interfering (his words) with his daughter and the man later died from his injuries. No word on previous convictions if any or age of daughter but even so, we were horrified it warranted a jail sentence when he didn't mean to kill him and in those circumstances. So clearly it has happened here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Jimoslimos wrote: »

For those posters so concerned about the child, it should be noted that they now have experienced TWO traumatic events in close proximity. One, sexual assault and two, their attacker being killed. Both have massive psychological impact.

yeah, all the pedo rapists fault.

great decision by the authorities, one less monster in the world too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

I'm going to make myself unpopular (if not already). In the rush of emotion here, people appear incapable of telling the difference between justice and vengeance.

The father should have been charged, manslaughter with diminished responsibility may have been appropriate in this case. If guilty, it would then be up to a judge to determine whether a custodial sentence was warranted given the mitigating circumstances (I realise minimum sentences may have made the jury reluctant to take this action but sentencing is a matter for judges not juries to consider).

I don't have kids myself, but the mere thought of a grown man violating an innocent child in such a manner that this guy did makes me want to throw up. The father should be applauded and i think it's disgusting that it even went to court. The rapist forfeited any right they had to be treated as a human being (and any 'justice' that may have been served in his name) the very second he thought about going after that little girl.

With regards to the last part of your post, yes, the girl has gone through a second traumatic event, but what was the father supposed to do? Ask the other guy politely not to rape his five year old daughter? Somehow i don't think the kid would have any empathy towards her attacker or particularly aware of what was happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭bhovaspack

I'm no expert in the pertinent legal system in this case, but the impression I get from reading the articles is that the refusal to charge the father has a sound legal basis, and that the father was within his rights to use the force he did under the circumstances. It's not like the father has been simply given a free ride, or the law circumvented in any way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

A sick fúck preys on a vulnerable young child, so a slow, painfully and preferably lingering death, is the only suitable sentence imo.

• Subscribers Posts: 126 ✭✭Camo22

awec wrote: »
    Totally agree

• Subscribers Posts: 126 ✭✭Camo22

Maybe the judge had a daughter... Did the right thing IMO. I'm sure the man would never have commited a crime in his life. Is it right that he should be punished for something he probably had no control over. What would you do if your daughter was put through the same??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

I tend to agree. Its almost funny people holding up the Texas justice system as something to admire. Its biblical, and thats not good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

He does sound like he used reasonable force and didn't stamp the attacker into the ground.

He may have well been in fear of his daughters life.

He did put a call into the the emergency services.

There isn't a court in the land that would have convicted him of murder/man slaughter.

While it's a tragic thing for the little girl. There is every chance that her father will be more physiologically damaged then she will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭PC CDROM

If true then fair enough.

All seems a bit dodgy to me from reading further articles.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭shampoosuicide

you probably wouldn't be able to start once you stepped away from your keyboard, pal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

I don't think the guy deserved to die, but I could not blame the father at all.

Walking in on that would cause anyone to loose their mind and not stop hitting.

• Advertisement
Advertisement