Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Build For Rendering

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭U_Fig

Ok so in light of the replys in this thread and from talking to the builds owner, that building 2 pc's might be better option rather than the dual xeons as benchmarks show that there isn't much of a difference to justify the price considering the amount of rendering he does is usually takes 8 hours with the quad core phenom that's like 4 years old.. doing it this way would allow him have one rendering constantly while he works

Item|Price
    2 x ASRock X79 Extreme9, Sockel LGA2011, ATX|€593.32
    2 x Intel Core i7-3930K Retail, ohne Kühler, LGA2011|€1071.82
    8 x 16GB-Kit Corsair Vengeance schwarz PC3-12800U CL10-10-10-27|€896.56
    2 x PNY NVIDIA QUADRO 2000 1024MB DDR5 - 128-BIT PCI16X-EX 2XDP 1XDVI-I bulk|€810.58
    2 x FRACTAL DESIGN Gehäuse DEFINE XL Black Pearl|€270.92
    2 x Samsung SSD 830 256GB SATA II Paper Box|€413.68
    6 x WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA 3 8,9cm(3,5")|€605.58
    2 x LG GH22NS50/70/90 bare schwarz|€34.58
    2 x Ultron Cardreader 75-in-1, intern, schwarz|€17.98
    2 x Super-Flower SF800P14XE Golden Green 80plus gold Modular|€237.66
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€4971.67

the build above is for 2 different identical pc's.. there is a few parts such as GPU that i may change and although it's spec oh HWVS some parts are out of stock so some might be bought elsewhere.... is there anything you'd change in the build above..i'd be planning on splitting the 6GB storage between the 2 either 3 + 3...or 4 + 2 and have an ssd on boot as boot drive.. but all will be networked in either case...so data from any drive will be assessible

also do you think 64GB ram is overkill on each machine or would 32GB do..

also would i better off upgrading the GPU on one and leaving the other with integrated and use one for design then the other for pure rendering performance?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

U_Fig wrote: »
    Ok so in light of the replys in this thread and from talking to the builds owner, that building 2 pc's might be better option rather than the dual xeons as benchmarks show that there isn't much of a difference to justify the price considering the amount of rendering he does is usually takes 8 hours with the quad core phenom that's like 4 years old.. doing it this way would allow him have one rendering constantly while he works

Item|Price
    2 x ASRock X79 Extreme9, Sockel LGA2011, ATX|€593.32
    2 x Intel Core i7-3930K Retail, ohne Kühler, LGA2011|€1071.82
    8 x 16GB-Kit Corsair Vengeance schwarz PC3-12800U CL10-10-10-27|€896.56
    2 x PNY NVIDIA QUADRO 2000 1024MB DDR5 - 128-BIT PCI16X-EX 2XDP 1XDVI-I bulk|€810.58
    2 x FRACTAL DESIGN Gehäuse DEFINE XL Black Pearl|€270.92
    2 x Samsung SSD 830 256GB SATA II Paper Box|€413.68
    6 x WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA 3 8,9cm(3,5")|€605.58
    2 x LG GH22NS50/70/90 bare schwarz|€34.58
    2 x Ultron Cardreader 75-in-1, intern, schwarz|€17.98
    2 x Super-Flower SF800P14XE Golden Green 80plus gold Modular|€237.66
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€4971.67

the build above is for 2 different identical pc's.. there is a few parts such as GPU that i may change and although it's spec oh HWVS some parts are out of stock so some might be bought elsewhere.... is there anything you'd change in the build above..i'd be planning on splitting the 6GB storage between the 2 either 3 + 3...or 4 + 2 and have an ssd on boot as boot drive.. but all will be networked in either case...so data from any drive will be assessible

also do you think 64GB ram is overkill on each machine or would 32GB do..

also would i better off upgrading the GPU on one and leaving the other with integrated and use one for design then the other for pure rendering performance?
    Go for the raid setup I suggested, 5 2tb drives. It's a little bit more expensive, but you would use raid 5, and have super fast read and write, as well as being able to lose a drive without losing any data. Put the drives in just one of the builds, and have an ssd to boot both, and to install all the software packages on.

Get 32gb in 8gb dimms, that way if it isn't enough, it can be upgraded easily. If you want to overclock the ram using less dimm slots will also be much more stable. 32gb should be enough, though. Also setup a 1gb ramdisk on each machine to save writes to the ssd. This is very beneficial to me when working with photoshop and after effects so I presume it could help with the packages they use also. Ram has 0 seek time, uses next to 0% cpu and can read and write at 5gb/s easily. It's perfect for using as a cache on these sorts of programs. Also use it as a browser cache and insure that all cookies are permanently wiped on shutdown as the ram is volatile.

For the money you may be able to get a single quadro 7000, it's a standalone piece of hardware and it may be able to be used in multiple rigs at the same time. Actually no, I just checked the price. You can't afford that. Wow Nvidia. 12 grand for that.

two quadros would be good :P

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭U_Fig

Go for the raid setup I suggested, 5 2tb drives. It's a little bit more expensive, but you would use raid 5, and have super fast read and write, as well as being able to lose a drive without losing any data. Put the drives in just one of the builds, and have an ssd to boot both, and to install all the software packages on.

Get 32gb in 8gb dimms, that way if it isn't enough, it can be upgraded easily. If you want to overclock the ram using less dimm slots will also be much more stable. 32gb should be enough, though. Also setup a 1gb ramdisk on each machine to save writes to the ssd. This is very beneficial to me when working with photoshop and after effects so I presume it could help with the packages they use also. Ram has 0 seek time, uses next to 0% cpu and can read and write at 5gb/s easily. It's perfect for using as a cache on these sorts of programs. Also use it as a browser cache and insure that all cookies are permanently wiped on shutdown as the ram is volatile.

For the money you may be able to get a single quadro 7000, it's a standalone piece of hardware and it may be able to be used in multiple rigs at the same time. Actually no, I just checked the price. You can't afford that. Wow Nvidia. 12 grand for that.

two quadros would be good :P

ya Quadro 7000 is a little over budget lol ..i was looking at putting a Quadro 5000 in each build...this after caliming vat back comes in at just under €6000 with the build mentioned above after dropping to 32GB ram in each

Advertisement