Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ordinary things that are amazing.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

A cold pillow.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

100 years from now Facebook will have the accounts of 500 million dead people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

slavedave wrote: »
    That even the most intelligent people only use a fraction of their brain power.
    That people still believe this...

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-self-illusion/201206/why-you-dont-use-only-use-fraction-your-brain

• Registered Users Posts: 48 real_irishken

I was always fascinated about how so much symmetry that can be found in nature...and the universe for that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

ror_74 wrote: »
    You can fit a million earths inside our sun. And if our sun where the size of a grapefruit, canis majoris ( the largest known star ) would be the size of wembley stadium.

Big Dawg?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

the sensation felt when your clitoris/knob is stimulated. a simple gentle touch can cause so much pleasure

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

The internet :). (I don't know if it's ordinary)
    Technology/computers.
    The moon .
    Animals/wildlife in different habitats and how they act such as lions , dolphins or polar bears and many others.

I am sitting on a bus typing this on a phone that can fit in the palm of my hand. When I press send reply, people around the country can see it in less than a second. On the same device I can open an application that can tell me exactly where I am in the world, precise to a few metres. Something like that was unimaginable a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

We didn't know what existed beyond our homes thousands of years ago, now in a few short taps, anybody on Earth can be potentially reading this message I have just typed.

Nerds , they look so ordinary but give them a PC and they are kings

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Hardonraging

Nerds , they look so ordinary but give them a PC and they are kings

In the kingdom of the clicks, the one-button mouse is king..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

Personalities how you don't know many people who will have the exact same personality, then there's getting to know someone and finding out about them.
    And everyone has a different background/story to tell about their lives. You won't meet someone who has the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

Electricity. Flicking a switch lights up the room/building.

How did someone go from not having it, to harnessing it? Or even thinking about harnessing it. We're absolutely screwed without it.

Probably the most taken for granted thing in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Hardonraging

Personalities how you don't know many people who will have the exact same personality, then there's getting to know someone and finding out about them.
    And everyone has a different background/story to tell about their lives. You won't meet someone who has the same.

This :D love meting new people, and getting to know there little tick's and novelty's ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭housetypeb

The ingenuity of mankind never ceases to amaze me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Not sure if it's been mentioned but Music in all forms...
    Utterly amazing how from one persons brain they can create a Symphony or Song that can stir the emotions in millions.

The songs that birds and other Animals sing to attract mates etc... Sound in general I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭Thud

Dandelions after they have gone to seed......imagine trying to make something like that....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭eire-kp

Being able to swim...mainly because I cant:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭shuridunno

Fresh running water out of a tap in the kitchen, no walking miles for a drum of brown water that'll give you the trots. And, it's still free for now.

Washing machines and dryers, just imagine having to handwash all your laundry. Throw them in and they come out clean.

Hot baths on a cold day.

Glasses

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    While KY jelly can turn humans into queens.
    Post of the day.

Edit: just noticed it was posted yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭cartell_best

I was blocked from most angles in a petrol station today and I could see an open gap by reversing and tried to measure it with my side view mirrors on the car. Thinking I had the bare minimum reversing out and afraid I would either hit a vehicle on either side, a chap outside the door to the garage walked in front of the car and directed me out.

Not only did he driect me out but he took the time out to fold my near side mirror and the mirror of a car I could have potentially hit because the gap was so narrow. People are amazing if given half the chance

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

A summers' evening on a bog and billions of midges everywhere and they never seem to bump into into each other .....or do they ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

Kxiii wrote: »

My mind is absolutely blown. Thanks for this. I loved it.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Peanuts.
    Not really a pea, sort of a nut. But with bbq type flavouring, it's alright by me.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Magnets.. And not in the funny way. Invisible forces are amazing.
    Magnets are amazing

Exhibit A - Levitation

http://www.ru.nl/hfml/research/levitation/diamagnetic/
    A little frog (alive !) and a water ball levitate inside a Ø32mm vertical bore of a Bitter solenoid in a magnetic field of about 16 Tesla at the Nijmegen High Field Magnet Laboratory.

Exhibit B - Quantum levitation

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

paddyandy wrote: »
    One raindrop will never touch another on the way down !
    oh dear.

Clouds and Fog and Mist is what happens when droplets don't coalesce with enough other droplets. Once enough combine they can't be suspended in the air and so fall, and nothing stopping the getting even bigger on the way down.

Hailstones are frozen raindrops.

Biggest one was 8 inches :eek:

biko wrote: »
    Coagulation
    Flocculation

Sublimation

Combustion

Degassing

Total Internal Refraction

finding a cold part of the duvet/matress when your really warm in bed
    The other side of the pillow

A Convergent Evolution
    Sharks / Ithysaurs / Dolphins

B Natures freakishly different solutions to living in similar niches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

That you can look up into the night sky and see the light from a distant star arriving now to your eye, yet it left when dinosaurs walked the earth.

Scary just thinking about the distances and time involved.

Advertisement