Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Brisbane suburb would suit us best?

Options
  • 20-06-2012 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Im doing a bit of research on Brisbane suburbs and am a bit confused as there are so many of them. Maybe someone who is living in/has lived in Brisbane could recommend a decent location if they dont mind.

We are looking for the following in a suburb:
    • An Area that is not affected when there is flooding
    • Within 25 commute by public transport of the CBD
    • Good schools
    • An area that typically has houses with a decent back garden for the kids
    • Low Crime
    • Shopping Centres/Cinemas etc nearby
    • Close to a park would be nice but not essential
    • Rents no more than 550ish a week for a 3 bedroom house

Thanks a mill...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

My daughter lives in North Lakes/Mango Hill area, it has all your requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bigbadcon

Hi aujopimur,

Thanks for the suggestion,I had a quick look at that area and it looks really nice..

I did read that the public transport into the CBD can be painfully slow from here so I would probably need somewhere a bit closer..

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Popinjay

bigbadcon wrote: »
    Hi aujopimur,

Thanks for the suggestion,I had a quick look at that area and it looks really nice..

I did read that the public transport into the CBD can be painfully slow from here so I would probably need somewhere a bit closer..

I've been in Gordon Park for about the last 2.5 years. Anywhere in and around here would probably suit you quite well;

Chermside (and West Chermside)
    Lutwyche
    Stafford
    Kedron
    Gordon Park

I'm in a two bedroom groud floor flat with the missus paying around $1300/month (We're saving for a house alright :o). Don't know how much the houses are going for rent-wise but I'm sure you'll find something reasonably nice within your price range.

Transport is pretty good and they're all close the Chermisde Shopping Centre which has cinemas, bowling and all sorts (The mammy loved all the shopping when she came over).

Only takes me 20mins each morning by car to get right out to the other side of the city for work. Some nice bus lanes and more being built will help with the public transport too.

thanks popinjay,appreciate that.

any more suggestions folks?

Is it fair to assume that the further out you go frm the cbd the cheaper the accomodation is? and also are the houses bigger the further out you go?

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Joe Gt

have a look at morningside,greenslops , mt gravett , eight miles plaines , rochedale ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Guys, anyone know what Spring Hill is like to live in? Looking at a place there today.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭lippy11

zweton wrote: »
    Guys, anyone know what Spring Hill is like to live in? Looking at a place there today.

Hey zweton,

I think you posted in one of my threads before, how are you getting on Brisbane? We'll be heading back down around the 7th of July and I'm busy checking out realestate.com.au for houses/apts. Have you checked out many suburbs and any suggestions? Hard to know what different areas are like until we see them for ourselves I suppose!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Lippy, just my second day here so only starting to get a feel for the place atm. Theres an old brisbane suburbs thread here im sure you could root out give you more of an idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭colman1212

I lived in springhill for 6 months. Its perfect really as its right in town. I used to live on Leichardt street. Theres a woolies nearby too which is handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Spring Hill is convenient for the city and quite nice, but a little edgy. Nicer suburbs for easy commute would be Paddington or New Farm, but those command a premium. If you're getting to know a city and don't want to be sitting at home every evening I think you're better to be relatively close to town. The OP has a family, so the requirements are a bit different. Cooparoo is a nice family suburb, I'm sure the others mentioned above by Popinjay are nice too. Mango Hill etc. are a bit far from the city for me, you'd need to think about why you want to live out there. It's on the way to the Sunshine Coast which is a plus for weekends etc. Housing in Australia is crazy expensive to buy or rent, it's in the midst of a massive property bubble.

• Advertisement

Hi folks,

It looks like I may be able to work for my current employer from home while living in Brisbane whichs puts a different perspective on where we might like to live.

Being close to the CBD is no longer a requirement but saying that I wouldnt like to be more than a 45 minute drive in case my contract came to an end with my current employer and I had to get something else.

Im thinking of somewhere closer to the coast but still has shopping centres etc within a 30 minute drive away.

I was looking at North lakes but I have read people complaining out it being charmless and also Deception Bay and Redcliffe being places to avoid....

Any more sugggestions folks..

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Tuosist

Bigbadcon, congrats on the visa.

I am looking to move to Brisbane with my young family as well but not till early 2013. Did a bit of leg work whilst there on holiday December 2011. Husband will be working from home but need access to motorways and airport. I will need semi-frequent access to CBD.

We will choose to live northside of the river as easy access to Brisbane airport and train access to the CBD will be a consideration. So we are considering Woolowin / Eagle Farm / Clayfield / Hendra all suburbs closer to Brisbane than you are now considering and all on a train line.

Determine which side of the river you want to be and whether you need to get to Brisbane airport frequently. The traffic jams on Friday afternoon to the Sunshine coast from the city is something to consider...

The number of toll roads seem ever increasing and expensive.

Look on the www.pomsinoz.com and www.britishexpats.com for advice on where to live.

Choose somewhere with train links to CBD if it becomes necessary for you to use public transport in the future.
    www.translink.com.au

i would aim for a max 45min train ride into CBD as you need to factor time getting to the station, parking and walking the other end.

Next clarify if primary school or high schools are a key ingredient.

This should be an important starting point. Some primary schools provide before and and after school care.

I found a lot of useful information about school results online which provides a rough idea of quality. I targeted primary schools that had swim clubs as it tends to mean significant parent involvement, reasonable funding and its an area of personal interest. You must live in the catchment area to attend a specific state school so make sure you research this before you rent. Also check enrolment requirements and places available... A good real estate agent should provide advice but check yourself with the school re admission policy.

useful link
    http://bettereducation.com.au/school/Primary/qld/brisbane_top_primary_schools.aspx

As you don't need to be so near the CBD you can find a 4 bedroom house for €550 a week if you need to use one bedroom as an office. Choose 'refine search' to find a rental near schools and train on www.domain.com.au

useful link
    http://www.new2brisbane.com.au/Living_in_Brisbane/Where_to_Live_in_Brisbane/Brisbane_City_Suburbs.html

Southside Brisbane

Morningside - located beside and inland from Bulimba /Hawthorne with all the features of those suburbs but with a slightly lower price tag, serviced by bus and train.

Camp Hill - on the southside of town about 7km fom the CBD. this is a leafy family suburb which is a bit more upmarket than some of the surrounding areas. it is just down the road from Carindale shopping center and has lots of big parks, and a couple of nice little cafe are.

Further afield
    If you can live further out of Brisbane, there are many options.
    It depends whether you want an excellent swimming beach (means heading up toward the sunshine coast or down toward the gold coast)

I am sure others will help!

Thank you very much Tuosist and everyone else for your replies.

I'll take a look at the suburbs you mentioned. Its so confusing as there is too much choice.

We have decided we are going to use a relocation agent to help us to secure a rental before we arrive so we wont have to stay in short term accomadation which is very expensive.

You've definitely given me some food for thought so we will be able to give more detailed information to the agent

Appreciate your help..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Camp Hill meets all your criteria. Great area!

Hi folks,

Starting to narrow down the list of 10000000 suburbs a bit at this stage.

We really like the look of the Manly/Wynnum area.

Any opinions on it?

We really like the look of the Manly/Wynnum area.

Any opinions on it?
    I know people living out that direction but not specifically in those suburbs. It's quite nice as a place to visit. It's about 45 mins to the CBD by car/train?

According to Google maps its a 32-35min drive and it looks like its a 37 minute train journey from Manly to Brisbane central.

Looks like a nice area, bit afraid it might be too sleepy though.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 swazzie

ballooba wrote: »
    I know people living out that direction but not specifically in those suburbs. It's quite nice as a place to visit. It's about 45 mins to the CBD by car/train?
    I've lived in Manly West for the last 7 years. Manly is a great suburb , it's bayside if you like the idea of being beside water( much cooler in summer )
    Good schools- be careful of catchment area though
    Parts of wynnum are good but generally stay out of wynnum west and central.
    It's a fairly quite area but has some nice restaurants.
    There is a lot of young families here, much more than when we moved here 7 years ago.
    Rents can vary , it can be a bit pricey depending on which suburb you live in.
    Depending on traffic it is 30-45 drive to city or the train is about the same .
    I've never felt unsafe living here.
    Hope this helps , good luck

According to Google maps its a 32-35min drive and it looks like its a 37 minute train journey from Manly to Brisbane central.
    I'd say budget 45 mins and you are less likely to be disappointed. Brisbane public transport isn't the best in the world, and from my most recent visit it seems to have gotten expensive.
    Looks like a nice area, bit afraid it might be too sleepy though.
    It might well be, Brisbane is generally quite quiet anyway, and you're away from the action. But you are only 45 mins from the CBD.

OK so it looks like we are definitely leaning toward bayside suburbs.

We are considering Sandgate/Brighton also, it seems to have a better beach than Manly with lots of watersports (windsurfing etc which I would like to try out)

Any experience of Sandgate/Brighton and how would you rate them in comparison to Manly?

Both have train stations that are around the same distance from the CBD.
    Not looking at Redcliffe due to no train station..

Thanks folks...

• Advertisement

OK so it looks like we are definitely leaning toward bayside suburbs.

We are considering Sandgate/Brighton also, it seems to have a better beach than Manly with lots of watersports (windsurfing etc which I would like to try out)

Any experience of Sandgate/Brighton and how would you rate them in comparison to Manly?

Both have train stations that are around the same distance from the CBD.
    Not looking at Redcliffe due to no train station..

Thanks folks...

You could also look at Wellington Point. It has a lovely beach and very popular for wind surfing. It's on same train line as Manly just further out.
    Sandgate is a nice spot , have only visited on weekends, think its fairly quite though.

swazzie wrote: »
    You could also look at Wellington Point. It has a lovely beach and very popular for wind surfing. It's on same train line as Manly just further out.
    Sandgate is a nice spot , have only visited on weekends, think its fairly quite though.

Thanks Swazzie,

Just wondering if you could elaborate on what areas of Wynnum you think were nice and why you aren't so keen on Central and west?

Thanks Swazzie,

Just wondering if you could elaborate on what areas of Wynnum you think were nice and why you aren't so keen on Central and west?
    Wynnum North is lovely and a nice safe area to live in.
    Parts of Wynnum West and Central can be a little rough. But I really don't want to generalize as I know people living in both and they have no issues . It's like moving anywhere, visit first if you can to get a feel of the area.
    I've lived in Manly West 7 years(lived in Dublin for 13 years prior to that) and its a lovely spot.
    Bayside suburbs are generally cooler in summer and I think fairly safe.
    They are quite though , don't expect to find anywhere to eat open after 8! But that is true of much of Brissie unless you live near the inner city.

Bayside suburbs are generally cooler in summer and I think fairly safe.
    They are quite though , don't expect to find anywhere to eat open after 8! But that is true of much of Brissie unless you live near the inner city.
    It can be a struggle even in the inner city. Red and Grill Korean restaurant on Charlotte St being one notable exception. Also the pancake restaurant further up Charlotte towards George St opens late.

It can be a struggle even in the inner city. Red and Grill Korean restaurant on Charlotte St being one notable exception. Also the pancake restaurant further up Charlotte towards George St opens late.

There is always the valley ... Asian House being the dodgiest but good Chinese :-)

There is always the valley ... Asian House being the dodgiest but good Chinese :-)
    That's true. Even if if it is a sleazy kip. :) (suburb, not restaurant)

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Popinjay

Also the pancake restaurant further up Charlotte towards George St never closes.

FYP. My missus worked there for a few years.

Never closes isn't quite right because it's closed for the 24 hours of Xmas day, but that's it. Other than that it's always open.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭tfarrell

Im in Albany Creek area which is great. Areas like McDowall, Bridgeman Downs, Albany Creek, Eatons Hill, Arana Hills are all really nice. Chermisde only 10 mins drive away with hundreds of shops and cinema etc. Then only 25 mins drive into the city. You have the sunshine coast only 45 mins away and gold coast only 60 mins away. Lots of great parks and sporting facilities for kids.

Advertisement