Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How come there are no Sports Bars??

• 20-06-2012 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭

In other countries you would have big sports bars,With a dozens of TV's,Showing all sports,In Ireland a few have chanced there arm with the Euro's but not really delivering,Why is this or have i just missed all them?? where are the sports bars in your area?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Prop Joe wrote: »
    In other countries you would have big sports bars,With a dozens of TV's,Showing all sports,In Ireland a few have chanced there arm with the Euro's but where are the sports bars in your area?

There use to be a sports bar in Temple bar. Don't know if its still a sports bar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

You've never been to the city of sport!

Loads of them in Limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

mikemac1 wrote: »
    You've never been to the city of sport!

Was in Limerick for a Munster game about 2 years ago,Was in the Sin Bin,Was only OK,Is there many big venues in Limerick?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

Would our location be a factor? Unless there's the likes of the euros or a world cup on there would be very little to show on a normal evening.

Contrast that to the likes of the US where if I'm not mistaken there's only like two days a year where there's no live sport on between the NFL, NBA, NHL, MLB etc.

The time difference and licensing laws mean that a bar couldn't open to show these either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

I would love a few sports bars around the place.

Maybe then they could f*ck all the televisions out of my own local and it could go back to being a quiet local bar without loud football fans jostling every night until the next big sporting championship begins.

Bitter? Why yes, I am!

• Advertisement

kwestfan08 wrote: »
    Would our location be a factor? Unless there's the likes of the euros or a world cup on there would be very little to show on a normal evening.

Contrast that to the likes of the US where if I'm not mistaken there's only like two days a year where there's no live sport on between the NFL, NBA, NHL, MLB etc.

The time difference and licensing laws mean that a bar couldn't open to show these either.

Dunno, Wouldn't you have racing,Sky Sports news,Eurosport always have stuff on and sure im more on about Promoting when they are showing Championship games,H Cup and Premier Lge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭Damokc

Paddys day in The Caragiline Hotel they had loads of TVs with signs under them saying if they were showing the rugby or soccer. about 6 tvs ithink. I dont think bars are big enough in ireland to have a dozen tvs. Those sports bars in Oz are about a atmospheric as an abattoir,with all those stupid pokies everywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 497 ✭✭jpm4

The Woolshed in Dublin. Break for the Border was basically a sports bar also, though not sure what the story with it is now, kip that it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

A few years back one of the lads went into a new one near his gaff in Tallaght for a coffee during the day, as he was waiting round. He's there reading the paper when a fella comes up to him and politely requests that - should he seek to return to the premises again - he shouldn't wear track shoes(trainers, whatever ye call them).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

jpm4 wrote: »
    The Woolshed in Dublin. Break for the Border was basically a sports bar also, though not sure what the story with it is now, kip that it is.

Ah yeah. Woolshed shows a decent amount of sport

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

Gibneys in Malahide has one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

arent all bars sports bars now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Oh, there's plenty of sports bras, every girl in the gym owns at least one.

Oh, wait...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Sports bars work in the States because there is always a 'sport' on television (pretty much) seven days per week. Baseball, Football, Basketball, Hockey, Soccer all have their leagues that are running year round. They all have their own networks to keep up with news. Throw golf into the mix and you have something else late in the week to follow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

I don't think Irish people really want sports pubs in their pure form, rather pubs that function as such whenever there is a big game on. The ones I've been in abroad are loud and raucous and you'd only put up with them if there was a big crowd there and a good atmosphere for a match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Woolshed in Cork, only been there once but they show lots of stuff you wouldn't see in most bars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Bandwaggoners only watch 6-8 sporting events a year.

Sports bars aren't economically viable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Most pubs I see have signs advertising games their shown

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

Woolshed shows everything going. Drinks are getting very pricey though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Most people are more interested in pubs that won't be showing wall to wall golf, horseracing, 2nd division playoffs and GAA stuff. Exceptions are All Irelands, Ryder Cups, Euros etc.

Besides, if you're into the sport - support the team / player and go to the match. The FAI needs all the attendance it can get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Teangalad

Most people are more interested in pubs that won't be showing wall to wall golf, horseracing, 2nd division playoffs and GAA stuff. Exceptions are All Irelands, Ryder Cups, Euros etc.

Besides, if you're into the sport - support the team / player and go to the match. The FAI needs all the attendance it can get.

You might be right, however if you are going to call it a sports bar then you will have to more than likely get Sky sports or its equivalent and they are absolutely ruthless when charging businesses, the charges are based on your your business rate band and it can get extremely expensive..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Agreed, teangalad _ a sports bar US style doesn't really exist in Dublin. I seem to remember the George in Limerick had something similar twenty years ago but like previous posters said, no content to fill the screens with.
    Having a big screen up for the big match doesn't make it a sports bar - just a pub with a big screen.

Personally, I'm more of a Stags Head man with 2 normal tv's in the corners only on for event games. No reason to stop the conversation. Apart from that, your own living room can be turned into the ultimate sports bar and you get to choose the guests. Now all you need is money for Sky and beer / weed whatever....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

A bar that has the racing on one tv for the day will do me! Football or GAA on the other tv and you're flying it

Maybe we should put up a list of the best?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Fagans, Eyre Square.

If you're only looking for sports bars in Dublin I suggest you open a thread there to get local suggestions. Otherwise we can continue here for the nation.

Nationwide!!!

Start with Cork

Riordan's & Soho Bar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 236 ✭✭chubba1984

Couldn't get more of a sports bar than a place called "Sports Bar"?!!

http://www.yelp.ie/biz/sports-bar-newmarket-on-fergus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

The Living Room and The Woolshed in Dublin city centre are dedicated sports bars, and I'm sure there are a few more. Don't know how you've missed them to be honest, they're pretty well known.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

There's Ritter Sport, they make a nice bar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Where To wrote: »
    Bandwaggoners only watch 6-8 sporting events a year.

Sports bars aren't economically viable.
    If I ever make a sports bar that's what I will call it: bandwaggoners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

What about the Livingroom, just off O'Connell St.?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Sports bars are cack and have feck all atmosphere in them. A 'proper' sports bar will have 2/3 big screens plus about 20 widescreens showing all types of different sport from all over the world. The atmosphere is not good because you have one gang roaring at one particular sport while another are quiet watching a golf putt or rugby kick or whatever. They tend to be big sheds of places. Only thing I liked about Sports Bars in the States are the wings.

Gimme a nook-and-cranny old mans pub with decent pints of stout and twenty lads crowded around a TV watching the rugby any day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

mikemac1 wrote: »
    But why would anyone go to Limerick?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The function that sports bars generally serve in the USA is served by bookies here and in the UK - showing whatever sport is currently available to show.

Outside of gamblers, most people generally only have a specific interest in a small number of sports and so there would be very little trade for a dedicated sports bar most of the time.

This is probably why most Irish pubs have gone for the half and half approach - tellys everywhere showing something random, but on mute. If you want to see the golf or the soccer, or the boxing, you can. If you don't, you don't have to hear it.

Advertisement