Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

After out of court settlement what happens to car insurance?

Options
  • 20-06-2012 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

A friend of mine was in an accident about 2/3 years ago and just last week it was settled out of court with him receiving some money due to injurys sustained.

My question is when he contacts any insurance company to say the claim is settled will he have 0% liability against his name or will offical records show he is 50% to blame for a car accident that has been settled out of court?

Thanks for reading

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

If it was settled out of court then in all probability 'official records' will show that the case was struck out and there will be no court record of the actual settlement.

What will happen is that his counsel (who will have been briefed by his insurance company) will report back on the settlement and his insurance record will show that there was a claim on his policy.

I'm basing that on your question which implies that he was found partly to blame for the accident. If the insurance company paid out any money to the other party then it will be logged as a claim and he will need to declare this to any other company if he goes looking for a quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 cbrady9

The other guys insurance paid out to my friend but to the best of my knowledge money didn't go the other way. Does that mean he is 0% liable for the accident. His solicitor at the time said that both parties would be 0% liable but that doesn't sound right as money was paid out by one insurance company.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

He'll have to ask his insurance company to tell him how the case was settled and whether or not they regard the case as involving a claim i.e. will it affect his no claims bonus.

All insurance companies reserve the right to settle claims with no reference to the policyholder so in the absence of a hearing and a decision made in a public court, he will have to ask his insurance company how it was settled and if it will count against him at the time of his next renewal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

If he claimed against another person and there was no claim against him then he has no claims. It is not how many times you have claimed from others but has anyone claimed against you.

Advertisement