Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Easons new store layout on patrick's st

Options
  • 20-06-2012 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39,965 ✭✭✭✭

Had seen the work going on there the last two weeks or so and decided to go in and have a look as I was passing today.

It's Different I'll give them that, lots of green and black and it seems a smaller shop than what it was before.

Wondering has anyone else been in there and what they though of it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Had seen the work going on there the last two weeks or so and decided to go in and have a look as I was passing today.

It's Different I'll give them that, lots of green and black and it seems a smaller shop than what it was before.

Wondering has anyone else been in there and what they though of it.

Smaller? I thought that they were going to open the back of it up again. There was a huge amount of space lost when the changed to the last layout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

only saw the upstairs, it looks more spacious than before, and its nicer down the cafe/gift end then the book end, the school book end is grey, factory looking, dull and dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,965 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Smaller? I thought that they were going to open the back of it up again. There was a huge amount of space lost when the changed to the last layout.

Ya, granted the part downstairs on the left is blocked off still but when you come downstairs from upstairs you cant walk as far towards where the books were before. The checkout area is next to the escalators and the window they were infront of is blocked off as of today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

Was in there the other day. It's only half done but looks great. They do need to put in a few seats so people can sit down and flick through a book.
    The one major complaint I'd have is that the stained glass that used to be over the escalator has been removed. It used to have four or five Irish authors and poets - james joyce, etc. in stained glass. Was a nice bit of secular stained glass in the city.
    It's been replaced by a green ceiling that says "Easons, Republic of Cork" or something silly like that.

Anyone else think the stained glass should have been kept?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,285 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Don't like upstairs - what they have done with the cards section - they've split all the cards into separate 'stands' or whatever you call them! I preferred when they were all placed next to each other but you could still find what you wanted - their card selection doesn't seem to be as good either and they have all these 'fancy' type novelty gifts that I'm not sure on either.....:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

I have to say I'm not a big fan of what they have done so far, it was great before. Now it appears to be incredibly spacious however that also makes it look very bare!

... Hopefully that will change soon as they are still working on it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

yeah, it's strange to see the empty floor space. I'm sure it'll look better once it's all finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭bogman

New facade due to be built, Easons offered redundancy & severance to several of their cork staff, think they offered it to around 40 staff in its Dublin's O'Connell street branch.

deRanged wrote: »
    yeah, it's strange to see the empty floor space. I'm sure it'll look better once it's all finished.

i was in there again today saw the new downstairs, it looked ok the "entertainment' light fixture is blinding bright and a bit tacky!

other than that it was nice enough, it has definitely lost that warm/bookshop look, its very industrialized/factory looking, a few too bright LED's and a few lamps thrown in, do nothing to make it look warmer...

one of the girls in there did say they were only half stocked until its finished, so not everything is out even in the completed sections, to be fair most things still don't have prices!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dirtyden

I have not seen the renovation, but it was an ugly enough shop last time I was in there. Waterstones much more appealing for a browse, and whenever i browse I usually walk out with a book.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

The one major complaint I'd have is that the stained glass that used to be over the escalator has been removed. It used to have four or five Irish authors and poets - james joyce, etc. in stained glass. Was a nice bit of secular stained glass in the city.
    It's been replaced by a green ceiling that says "Easons, Republic of Cork" or something silly like that.

Anyone else think the stained glass should have been kept?

It's gone?!! :( I'm 25 and I can remember being in my buggy, tilted back going up the escalator and lying there looking up at that!! :D (I do have a freakish memory with how far back it goes.) It's a shame it's gone. Was it actually glass? I thought it was plastic.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Actually I like the ground floor renovation. The area to the right hand side is nicely designed for book browsing in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

it's looking nice enough now!

7534984116_a41b71a478_z.jpg
    Easons new look! by Brian Clayton, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

Is it just me or does their "Entertainment!" sign inside look like "Entertainmend" :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

deRanged wrote: »
    it's looking nice enough now!

7534984116_a41b71a478_z.jpg
    Easons new look! by Brian Clayton, on Flickr

It's a quality shop front but it clashes with the building and looks completely out of place. Even if they swapped out the brown windows for green it'd help hugely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

jeepers, I think it looks like a Centra or something there! :(

kingtut wrote: »
    Is it just me or does their "Entertainment!" sign inside look like "Entertainmend" :confused:

i don't know it blinded me before i could read it! :pac:

the outside looks pretty good on the ground level as you tend not to look up much on patrick street,

but then you see other shops with new glass fronts and old/different windows upstairs everywhere in the city.

Advertisement