Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Centra and their flimsy breakfast rolls

Options
  • 20-06-2012 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭

Recently i went into centra at the corballis store in ratoath village.
    Pass by it twice a day monday to friday and normally stop in for a roll or some shopping etc.

I asked for a bacon roll for my breakfast.
    What i got was quite unreal and i chose not to say anything to the girl in the deli,it was basically thrown at me and it cost 3.00,which is not the issue.

Then issue is the content in the roll,ive seen more meat on a spiders ankles.

Have a look and see what you thing and is this acceptable..

Despite been in touch with centra direct they have told me to call to the store,i did twice and the guy i was told to ask for was not there,so i was told.
    After that centra just purely ignore my communication efforts.

Au-sY0ECAAAPfqw.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Just ... don't go there again?

You asked for a bacon roll. You got a roll, with bacon in it.

Some places do better bacon rolls than others.

Live and learn.

By the way, you "chose not to say anything to the girl in the deli" - why?! :confused: If I wasn't happy, I sure as hell would've said so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

jimmynokia wrote: »
    Pass by it twice a day monday to friday and normally stop in for a roll or some shopping etc.

What i got was quite unreal and i chose not to say anything to the girl in the deli,it was basically thrown at me and it cost 3.00,which is not the issue.

Despite been in touch with centra direct they have told me to call to the store,i did twice and the guy i was told to ask for was not there,so i was told.

Ryan Tubridy probably owns that Centra.
    Heard you were trash talkin' him....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Just ... don't go there again?

You asked for a bacon roll. You got a roll, with bacon in it.

Some places do better bacon rolls than others.

Live and learn.

By the way, you "chose not to say anything to the girl in the deli" - why?! :confused: If I wasn't happy, I sure as hell would've said so!

She was polish or something like that and i pointed at it as to say is that it.
    Like i said it was thrown together in less than 30 seconds and goodbye,next in que.

Just to add thats one slice of bacon mostly made of fat.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 smythc

This is disgraceful....two rashers....rip off Ireland

I am always having to tell them fill the rolls up...I usually just get sausages and they try to just put two in normally...

<SNIP>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Like i said it was thrown together in less than 30 seconds and goodbye,next in que.

Were you expecting to be shown to your table?

Spar, Centra or Petrol Station = low quality snout, beak or reconstituted otter anus, stored and served haphazardly and sold at a ferocious mark-up.

You got off lightly, less is more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

You're doing your credibility no good with that statement, that's a pretty lean back rasher by any standards.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

She was polish or something like that and i pointed at it as to say is that it.

I fail to see what the staff member being Polish has to do with the issue, I'm assuming your Irish yet you left that our of the story

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

Why did you not do what I would have done, which is to say "could you stick a bit more bacon in the roll, please?" If she refuses, then thank her for her time, decline the roll, and shop elsewhere.

Cabaal wrote: »
    I fail to see what the staff member being Polish has to do with the issue, I'm assuming your Irish yet you left that our of the story

From standing in the que it was evident she had a language barrier issue which is not the topic

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭whippet

From standing in the que it was evident she had a language barrier issue which is not the topic

keep digging' that hole.

I have no sympathy whatsoever for anyone who comes on to an forum like this ranting and raving about something they could have actually dealt with at the time.

You say you choose not to say anything at the time, so in effect you accepted that what you received was good enough .... hiding behind a computer screen giving out about an individual in a shop rather than actually manning up and asking for another poxy rasher!!!

As for the comment that 'the bacon was mainly fat' ... i'd take a lot of what you say with a pinch of salt based on your description of the rasher and what you actually took a picture of !!! Its amazing how many people develop walter mitty tendencies when ranting about stuff online

• Advertisement

whippet wrote: »

keep digging' that hole.

I have no sympathy whatsoever for anyone who comes on to an forum like this ranting and raving about something they could have actually dealt with at the time.

You say you choose not to say anything at the time, so in effect you accepted that what you received was good enough .... hiding behind a computer screen giving out about an individual in a shop rather than actually manning up and asking for another poxy rasher!!!

As for the comment that 'the bacon was mainly fat' ... i'd take a lot of what you say with a pinch of salt based on your description of the rasher and what you actually took a picture of !!! Its amazing how many people develop walter mitty tendencies when ranting about stuff online
    Pathetic answer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

I don't see how this is a consumer issue ;/)

I don't see how this is a consumer issue ;/)
    Eh what is it then?

Pathetic answer

if you want to lower the tone then so will I .. what I was actually trying to say was that your actions as described by your self are typical of the cowardly manner in which some people choose to complain.

You were not man enough to challenge the shop face to face or indeed the girl working in the deli but have been full of gusto once outside of the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Eh what is it then?
    It's a matter of a consumer who did not refuse a deal that he thought was bad value: not typical of what is traditionally taken here as a consumer issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

The op must have little to worry about if a bacon roll causes him problems. Without reading all the excessive rubbish written, I'd expect 2 rashers, fresh roll, butter and sauce if I asked for a bacon roll.
    Is this what you got?

Try McDonald's next time - for 20c less you get a smaller roll and 2 of the thinnest possible pieces of bacon you can imagine.

Your Centra roll looks great value in comparison.

Btw - centra is a franchise, the head office has absolutely zilch to do with servings in a franchise store.

Pathetic answer

if you want to lower the tone then so will I .. what I was actually trying to say was that your actions as described by your self are typical of the cowardly manner in which some people choose to complain.

You were not man enough to challenge the shop face to face or indeed the girl working in the deli but have been full of gusto once outside of the shop.

Fail.
    I did not want to hold up the que mr bravestar

Look everyone the fact of the matter is Centra and other outlets are trying to get away with the minimum on items like this.

A local Centra where I work tries to charge €4.50 for a roll with 3 items which is rip off...the roll costs about 50 cents and a sausage about 60 cent etc so €2.50 is all that should be charged.

Jimmy did not mean any offence about the girl being Polish, he simply meant that her English did not seem to be that good, so trying to explain was not something he was prepared to do and potentially hold up the whole queue.

Its because some people dont complain even after the case that the country is in the state we are in and restaurants get away with crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Fail.

Oh man-up! First it was because the girl serving was foreign, now you didn't want to hold up the queue. :rolleyes:

Have the guts to complain in the shop rather than get at them here.

For what it's worth, the bacon in the photo was prime back rasher and not "fatty" as you described. But, that is beside the point.

If you were unhappy with it you should have said so. Go in and complain all you want after the event but what use is it to bring it up on Boards.ie?

Fail.

facepalm !!!

• Advertisement

Fail.

facepalm !!!
    Epicfail number 2

Fail.

Oh man-up! First it was because the girl serving was foreign, now you didn't want to hold up the queue. :rolleyes:

For what it's worth, the bacon in the photo was prime back rasher and not "fatty" as you described. But, that is beside the point.

If you were unhappy with it you should have said so. Go in and complain all you want after the event but what use is it to bring it up on Boards.ie?
    What use is this useless response?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Dave0301

In fairness I can see why people are lambasting you for not bringing it to the deli girl's attention at the time.

If you were in another shop, say a clothes shop and as you went to pay for a shirt and you notice it had a tear in it, would you say nothing in that circumstance just to avoid delaying a queue?

Also having worked in places like this, there are strict pricing guidelines on what goes into a roll. Say for example, one meat and two salads could be €3.90. She was probably just following company procedure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Why are people picking on the fact that she was polish/holding up the queue as elements of fantasy? It's no secret that some people who work in those positions don't have the best of english, whatever nationality they may be. I had a similar problem in subway before, and just told them to keep the roll, because the girl serving me had pretty lackluster english and didn't really understand what I was saying and just kept saying 'no' essentially, so rather than argue with someone who couldn't speak good english whilst holding up a queue was something I really was not bothered doing. The fact that this person was eastern european was completely relevant to the story....and is to the OPs story too in the same way.

Look we are after the fact now so nothing we can do about that but in a broader sense do people feel they get value for money in places like these ?.

My local Esso garage I can get that sized roll, 4 Sausages, 1 Egg and a Rasher for under 3 euro...€2.75 last I was in...now thats value a full roll not two rashers and thats it.

Centra use a system of menu items, options 1,2,3 and here is there prices, no room to customize...the garages that let you build your own are much better.

Dave0301 wrote: »
    In fairness I can see why people are lambasting you for not bringing it to the deli girl's attention at the time.

If you were in another shop, say a clothes shop and as you went to pay for a shirt and you notice it had a tear in it, would you say nothing in that circumstance just to avoid delaying a queue?

Also having worked in places like this, there are strict pricing guidelines on what goes into a roll. Say for example, one meat and two salads could be €3.90. She was probably just following company procedure.

Big difference between a 40euro minimum on a shirt spend and a scabby roll,which also I might add,looks nothing like the lovley pictures they advertise.

Why are people picking on the fact that she was polish/holding up the queue as elements of fantasy? It's no secret that some people who work in those positions don't have the best of english, whatever nationality they may be. I had a similar problem in subway before, and just told them to keep the roll, because the girl serving me had pretty lackluster english and didn't really understand what I was saying and just kept saying 'no' essentially, so rather than argue with someone who couldn't speak good english whilst holding up a queue was something I really was not bothered doing. The fact that this person was eastern european was completely relevant to the story....and is to the OPs story too in the same way.

Not really I did not want to bring into fact that she was Western European or what ever she was.
    .Reasons been the obvious which is clearly coming out now.

At the end of the day the roll was a complete cheap quickly made non value for money, despite the advertisements you see outside door or over the deli.
    Regardless the fact I chose not to hold up the que,is my business.
    I'm sure most of the posters here know what it's like to be held up in a que and I was considering others, which is harmless.

Some of the replies here are just petty and typical of some Irish people, mainly those who have nothing else to do but troll a topic and take the p$$s

Well said.....

and I know you like the European ladies so folks that is not what this is about...get over it trolls :D

Not really I did not want to bring into fact that she was Western European or what ever she was.
    .Reasons been the obvious which is clearly coming out now.

At the end of the day the roll was a complete cheap quickly made non value for money, despite the advertisements you see outside door or over the deli.
    Regardless the fact I chose not to hold up the que,is my business.
    I'm sure most of the posters here know what it's like to be held up in a que and I was considering others, which is harmless.

Some of the replies here are just petty and typical of some Irish people, mainly those who have nothing else to do but troll a topic and take the p$$s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I bet this poor eastern European girl knows the correct word for what a long line of people is though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Gotta speak up OP :)
    But what you did is not unusual, often happens that people say nothing at the time, then fume inside and a few hours later explode.

This shop is Rathoath would have preferred if you sorted the issue at the time, now you've blasted them on boards.ie

Don't worry over the queue, you're paying good money and you can order and mix and match whatever you want.
    If someone behind you has to wait a minute or two more they will get over it

You don't deserve questions over mentioning she is Polish, some deli assistants have very poor English and you have to repeat your order a few times

Advertisement