Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Centra and their flimsy breakfast rolls

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Thread moved to Rip Off Ireland - dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭therewillbe

jimmynokia wrote: »
    Recently i went into centra at the corballis store in ratoath village.
    Pass by it twice a day monday to friday and normally stop in for a roll or some shopping etc.

I asked for a bacon roll for my breakfast.
    What i got was quite unreal and i chose not to say anything to the girl in the deli,it was basically thrown at me and it cost 3.00,which is not the issue.

Then issue is the content in the roll,ive seen more meat on a spiders ankles.

Have a look and see what you thing and is this acceptable..

Despite been in touch with centra direct they have told me to call to the store,i did twice and the guy i was told to ask for was not there,so i was told.
    After that centra just purely ignore my communication efforts.

Au-sY0ECAAAPfqw.jpg

That needs some Mustard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Colemans English, feel the burn, oh yeah :cool:

Not that weak American mustard, that's for people who are frightened of real mustard!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

I don't know why you'd go in to a store and buy a flimsy bacon roll? It looks how you'd expect it to look like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

smythc wrote: »
    Look we are after the fact now so nothing we can do about that but in a broader sense do people feel they get value for money in places like these ?.

My local Esso garage I can get that sized roll, 4 Sausages, 1 Egg and a Rasher for under 3 euro...€2.75 last I was in...now thats value a full roll not two rashers and thats it.

Centra use a system of menu items, options 1,2,3 and here is there prices, no room to customize...the garages that let you build your own are much better.

That's the difference between the "Jumbo Breakfast" and the skinny rasher:D Do they offer you a mug of tea with it?

All these convenience shops are losing the massive profits they were mqaking during the boom when people would get their lunch in there and sod the cost! People were used to paying for convenience of walking across the street and having someone make their lunch for them but many people are now not spending as much or making their own lunches as well as the numbers of people working has dropped.

It is no surprise that a roll that might cost the shop 30cent and a couple of rashers that maybe cost 50cent(cooking included) are slapped together into a product with such a high mark-up.

"Fools from their money are still easily parted"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Why are people picking on the fact that she was polish/holding up the queue as elements of fantasy? It's no secret that some people who work in those positions don't have the best of english, whatever nationality they may be. I had a similar problem in subway before, and just told them to keep the roll, because the girl serving me had pretty lackluster english and didn't really understand what I was saying and just kept saying 'no' essentially, so rather than argue with someone who couldn't speak good english whilst holding up a queue was something I really was not bothered doing. The fact that this person was eastern european was completely relevant to the story....and is to the OPs story too in the same way.

If the girl at the deli had poor English, he could have asked to speak to a manager instead.

Holding up the queue is no excuse. How long does it take to say "May I have another rasher, please." Similarly, if her English was good enough to understand his initial request for a bacon roll, of course she'd be able to understand a request for more bacon on it.

OP next time just try and resolve the problem there and then. If you'd just asked for more fillings at the time, there would not be an issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

What use is this useless response?

If you don't like it, then tough!.

You rasied the issue. You got an honest response. It doesn't fit with what you expected; this does not render it useless. You felt you had cause for complaint and you whimped out of complaining. Trying to be a hard man on Boards doesn't make up for it. If you want to discuss the merits or otherwise of your course of action, then fine. But childish snide remarks like that add nothing.

Asking what use a useless response is speaks for itself.:rolleyes:

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I bet this poor eastern European girl knows the correct word for what a long line of people is though.

+1. It has been doing my head in since the first mention of a que (sic)! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

+1. It has been doing my head in since the first mention of a que (sic)! ;)
    Che?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

Seriously OP, i f you had a problem with it you should have said something to the person making it.

Ah, it appears to be bred into the Irish though (and i'm speaking as an Irish person), complain to absolutely everyone apart from the only person you should complain to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

At the end of the day the roll was a complete cheap quickly made non value for money, despite the advertisements you see outside door or over the deli.

You don't seriously believe that everything you buy looks like the advertised pictures? You go to McDonalds and expect the salad in your cheeseburger to look vibrant green and crispy? Or the gym you just suscribed to to be full of glamourous people working out with a smile? Or the air hostess on that Ryan Air flight to be a ringer for Kim K? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

My local Esso garage I can get that sized roll, 4 Sausages, 1 Egg and a Rasher for under 3 euro...€2.75 last I was in...now thats value a full roll not two rashers and thats it.

You realise that Centras, Spars etc are convenience stores? They are about ease of convenience and as such they charge higher prices than normal - if it's value you seek then go to a large chain such as Tesco.
    A local Centra where I work tries to charge €4.50 for a roll with 3 items which is rip off...the roll costs about 50 cents and a sausage about 60 cent etc so €2.50 is all that should be charged.

Roll = €0.50
    3 x Sausages = €1.80

Total Cost = €2.30 and you want them to sell it for €2.50 and make 20c gross profit?

@OP: You asked for a rasher roll. You got rashers, on a roll. What exactly where you expecting? How many layers of rashers did you want?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭desoc32

I had the same issue in my local store. "Full breakfast roll please" as i made a coffee beside her but not watching the girl making it (no one else there so she not under pressure). What i got after returning home was a roll with one scabby sausage cut in half and placed at either end, one fatty rasher in the middle and one squashed hash brown and only buttered on one side to add insult all for €4.00! :mad:.
    I did what the op did and decided not to complain directly to the staff as they are young ones and would prob just snigger and i felt it was not worth driving back to the shop like a big baby crying about a roll. So i sent an email to the manager to suggest that the staff could be trained better on the deli to try give some sort of value to the customer, to which he apologised and he offered me free breakfast with tea/coffee for the rest of the week. I thanked him for the offer but declined the free breakfasts as it's a one a week treat and i wasn't looking for free stuff.
    Anyway what i do now is say "Can i have a roll with butter on both sides?" Then when this is done i'll ask for two sausages, two hashbrowns and two rashers and plenty of ketchup. Roll still costs €4.00 but i'm happier paying now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Icepick

Why are people picking on the fact that she was polish/holding up the queue as elements of fantasy? It's no secret that some people who work in those positions don't have the best of english, whatever nationality they may be. I had a similar problem in subway before, and just told them to keep the roll, because the girl serving me had pretty lackluster english and didn't really understand what I was saying and just kept saying 'no' essentially, so rather than argue with someone who couldn't speak good english whilst holding up a queue was something I really was not bothered doing. The fact that this person was eastern european was completely relevant to the story....and is to the OPs story too in the same way.
    lack of English - relevant
    nationality - irrelevant

Mentioning someone's nationality to imply a flaw without even saying what flaw is silly.

If you don't like something, don't pay for it. It's the best kind of complaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

For all the people that can't read I did contact the store after speaking to centra direct and each time I visited the store the guy just happened to be never in.
    Rather strange.
    Really some people here have a lack of intelligence and fail to grasp the point,then bring in nationality into it.
    I clearly stated it had nothing to do with it and via observation I would of been wasting my time.

For all the trolls here just remember the world is round and you will get your turn someday in a similar situation.

..after speaking to centra direct ... bring in nationality into it.
    ...would of been...

Just which of the parties concerned had an insufficient grasp of English to discuss the apparent shortage of bacon in the roll?:rolleyes: Que or no queue!

..after speaking to centra direct ... bring in nationality into i...would of been...

Just which of the parties concerned had an insufficient grasp of English to discuss the apparent shortage of bacon in the roll?:rolleyes: Que or no queue!
    You have been the biggest troll here and would probably have never bought a roll in your life.
    And continues to fail with silly comments without actually adjusting yourself to the situation

If you don't like it, then tough!.

You rasied the issue. You got an honest response. It doesn't fit with what you expected; this does not render it useless. You felt you had cause for complaint and you whimped out of complaining. Trying to be a hard man on Boards doesn't make up for it. If you want to discuss the merits or otherwise of your course of action, then fine. But childish snide remarks like that add nothing.

Asking what use a useless response is speaks for itself.:rolleyes:

TRYING TO BE A HARD MAN?:confused:
    WTF are you talking about?:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

Recently i went into centra at the corballis store in ratoath village.
    Pass by it twice a day monday to friday and normally stop in for a roll or some shopping etc.

I asked for a bacon roll for my breakfast.
    What i got was quite unreal and i chose not to say anything to the girl in the deli,it was basically thrown at me and it cost 3.00,which is not the issue.

Then issue is the content in the roll,ive seen more meat on a spiders ankles.

Have a look and see what you thing and is this acceptable..

Despite been in touch with centra direct they have told me to call to the store,i did twice and the guy i was told to ask for was not there,so i was told.
    After that centra just purely ignore my communication efforts.

Sorry mate, i can read perfectly well and this is when the issue should have been raised.

You have been the biggest troll here and would probably have never bought a roll in your life.
    And continues to fail with silly comments without actually adjusting yourself to the situation

You seem to keep missing the point - although it is expressed in so many ways to you.

I don't need to adjust to any situation. You opened the thread and you have been told repeatedly that you should have raised your objections at the time. Someone needs to get real and I can assure you it's not me. When I order something I ensure I get what I need. I have no fear of expressing disatisfaction with any retailers to their faces. Getting angry at people who point out your errors is no way to live. Take it on the chin and just buy your convenience snack elsewhere in future. This seems to have grown out of all proportion. It was a Centra bacon roll - hardly earth-shattering. Best to get annoyed when something of significance happens in your life. As for this: I find it very amusing to see you so animated over such trivia and your name calling etc passes a quiet few minutes in the day, as we laugh at such childish behaviour.:p

That said: I have better things going on in my life and, much as you amuse me, I don't think you can be helped. Slán.

• Advertisement

You seem to keep missing the point - although it is expressed in so many ways to you.

I don't need to adjust to any situation. You opened the thread and you have been told repeatedly that you should have raised your objections at the time. Someone needs to get real and I can assure you it's not me. When I order something I ensure I get what I need. I have no fear of expressing disatisfaction with any retailers to their faces. Getting angry at people who point out your errors is no way to live. Take it on the chin and just buy your convenience snack elsewhere in future. This seems to have grown out of all proportion. It was a Centra bacon roll - hardly earth-shattering. Best to get annoyed when something of significance happens in your life. As for this: I find it very amusing to see you so animated over such trivia and your name calling etc passes a quiet few minutes in the day, as we laugh at such childish behaviour.:p

That said: I have better things going on in my life and, much as you amuse me, I don't think you can be helped. Slán.

Better things going on in your life!
    yeah been a troll.

yeah been a troll.

FFS! :p It's "being". The past participle is been; present participle is being.:D

Now, I'm done. :)

yeah been a troll.

FFS! :p It's "being". The past participle is been; present participle is being.:D

Now, I'm done. :)
    Thank god.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

a quick resolution to this issue????

while at the counter say" sorry, would you mind putting in a slice or two of more bacon please? thanks"

as a rule of thumb, if there's a skinny person seving at the deli, you're getting an anerexi-roll

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

a quick resolution to this issue????

while at the counter say" sorry, would you mind putting in a slice or two of more bacon please? thanks"

as a rule of thumb, if there's a skinny person seving at the deli, you're getting an anerexi-roll
    That would make faaaaar too much sense!

Nanazolie wrote: »

At the end of the day the roll was a complete cheap quickly made non value for money, despite the advertisements you see outside door or over the deli.

You don't seriously believe that everything you buy looks like the advertised pictures? You go to McDonalds and expect the salad in your cheeseburger to look vibrant green and crispy? Or the gym you just suscribed to to be full of glamourous people working out with a smile? Or the air hostess on that Ryan Air flight to be a ringer for Kim K? :eek:

No thats called false advertising.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 250 ✭✭DuPLeX

It looks like a Bacon roll created for the way we live today , Why couldn't you Just Enjoy ? or hand it back and say "this is not good enough" ?

On a more serious note though.. Its is a sad day when someone cannot mention someone's nationality (relevant or not ) without being accused of racism.Everyone is entitled to like or dislike whomever they choose for whatever reason they choose, Real racism is a different story entirely .
    (I'll probably be banned for saying that)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Like i said it was thrown together in less than 30 seconds and goodbye,next in que.
    Sounds nice & efficient, like the checkouts in lidl. I hate been kept waiting.
    Just to add thats one slice of bacon mostly made of fat.
    Mostly being over 50% -did you actually look at your photo?

Bacon costs about twice the price as sausages per weight. Bacon is typically the most expensive ingredient in any breakfast rolls. I would only expect one slice, esp. if it is as large & lean as the one in the photo. If ordering only 1 item with a roll, the cheapest option, I would expect 1 rasher, 2 sausages, 1 egg, 2-3 puddings depending on thickness.

If I was getting a full breakfast roll I would only expect the amount of bacon in the photo, so that is what I would expect if ordering just the bacon. That is how they are typically priced, a roll with 1 filling is cheaper than the full roll. If I wanted a decent roll full of bacon I would order a roll priced for 2-3 fillings, and ask for them to be all bacon. Just like you would do with a pizza. I would not expect to see a pizza crammed with pepperoni, if all I ordered was a single topping of it.

Advertisement