Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Examples of high quality playgrounds in Ireland

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Little My

The playgrounds around westside are pretty poor to be honest.

The playground at Salthill is alright, the one at the cathedral much better I think.

I haven't been to Cappagh Park but its supposed to be good. And McGrath's? Field, Knocknacarra?

Apparently the new one in Doughiska is pretty good, but its a bit of a trek.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

McGrath's Field in Knocknacarra was done up only a few years ago and is quite good, if small.

Have taken the kids to Cappagh Park a few times as well and they certainly enjoyed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kwalshe

Lisha wrote: »
    Just on the insurance issue, In my experience if the local county council take ownership of the playground after it has been finished then the county councils insurance covers the playground. This would happen if the local community and co council work in a partnership type agreement

OP, it sounds like you are at the early stage of considering organising a playground in your area.
    First things to consider are (in no particular order)
    #Meet your local area representative to see what funding is available, def talk to county council / udc etc
    # form a group with like minded people with a view to getting a playground
    #have you a place to put it, is there community property that could be used
    # fundraising will need to be done, no grant/funding will ever cover 100%
    # look at playground equipment suppliers, imho both cavanaghs and go-play are excellent
    #target age group of kids, ie, for under 12s only or do you intend to cater for teenagers too, by using muga's (multiuse game area) chill/hang out zones etc
    # planning permission might be needed too

Best of luck

I would love to get a playground built in my village. Thanks Lisha you may have just given me some inspiration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

kwalshe wrote: »
    I would love to get a playground built in my village. Thanks Lisha you may have just given me some inspiration.

Inspiration indeed. Go for it!

The various examples given in this thread show what can be achieved.

If the Local Authority takes the initiative, that's great (with the caveat that there may be genuine or selfish objections).

If it's a local community initiative, whether started by individuals or an established group, then I expect it's essential to build support from the start. No point in taking such a project to an advanced stage if it's likely to be rejected. I heard of an instance near my locality whereby a small group of local residents (as few as ten, reportedly) succeeded in blocking a proposal to create a community garden with playground. They would permit one or other, but not both.

Lisha's point re target age group(s) is very important, IMO. In my area there are lots of kids under 12, but there are teenagers around too, and of course the children of today are tomorrow's teenagers. As is often the case there is little for them to do, and few places to go, so they're hanging around local shops, on waste ground and in secluded corners of commercial areas, crossing busy roads where speeding is rampant in order to do so.

Youth shelters are also available, but am I being overly pessimistic in expecting that local resistance to these could be massive? NIMBY, out of sight is out of mind, and all that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Lisha wrote: »
    HI OP,

As you are in west Galway there could be money available for area improvement type projects. Find out which organisations cater to your specific area. But def start with co council and local poliitician/td/councillor.
    THey should point you in right direction. It is possible that a couple/few different orgs could co-fund project. But it will never be 100% funded.

Best of luck, it might seem like a huge task now, but we are never (weather permitting) out of our local playground.

I'm west of the Corrib but not specifically in Westside, if that's what you mean. I think I know what you mean by area improvement projects, and associated funding streams. I used to know about this stuff, but I'm a bit out of touch now. Which is ironic; being a parent of two kids under 5 means it's even more relevant now.

AFAICR there are funding programmes that are targeted at certain localities, depending on various socioeconomic factors. TBH I have no idea whether our neighbourhood would qualify.

You're right about starting with the Local Authority and/or elected representatives. I would hope local councillors and/or TDs would be delighted to associate themselves with such an initiative. Assuming it wouldn't harm their election prospects, that is!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

http://irishworkhousecentre.ie/about/project-team/

http://www.galwaycity.ie/AllServices/CommunityCulture/ProjectsandSchemes/GalwayCity4Funding/

http://www.galway.ie/en/Services/Leisure/Playgrounds/

HI OP,

I just did a quick google search on social funding in Galway and got the above links. It might help. Every area is allocated funding. Some get more than other s if they are considered disadvantaged. Your TD local councillor will be able to tell you what scheme is relevant for your area. (I dont know what they are called in Galway)
    Def check out the third link, this states
    Playgrounds

As part of Galway County Council's Play Policy, playgrounds have been provided throughout the County through either direct funding and/or the provision of insurance.
    Listed below are the locations of playgrounds in County Galway.

So this will help too.

Lotto funding might be a possibility too.

Ask Co council if they do fund ye where else can ye get funding. It is possible to get grants from more than one source.

If ye have a local Community Centre talk to the committee, they just might want too or might even have a bit of land to put it on. (word of warning, if land is gaa owned it can be nearly impossible to get funding then. But land can be passed from one organisation to another if it suits)
    To keep things kosher prob will have to form a playground committee. (No big deal)

On older kids faculities, it is definatley useful but can scare people a bit. One comprimise can be not to light it or turn off lights at an agreed time.

A hugely popular thing now is outdoor adult execcise equipment. This can be put in playground (seen it in Blarney near Cork and ballybunion in Kerry)
    Or you can have an out door adult gym type setup (done in Mallow).

it is up to you to set the parameters of your project. It is worth asking funding bodies what are they interested in funding?? and tailor project to suit them

Sorry for sticking my beak in again, I personally found once we decieded what to do and put a plan in place then project gathered its own momentum. It s amazing how quickly you get into it.

all the best

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭dessierb

As you are in Galway, take a trip out to Lackagh. New playground there which is very nice. Don't know the specifics but think they got a grant towards it along with fundraising locally.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭vandriver

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

Co. Kildare has a few: Kildare town is great, Kildare Village shopping center is small but nice, St. Lawrences GAA grounds is fab and Kilcullen is great too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

Woodstock gardens in Inistioge, Co. Kilkenny has a playground constructed very similar to the one you pictured OP.

http://www.woodstock.ie/

Unfortunately they don't have pics of it on their website which is surprising as it's a lovely facility

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 hiber

Hi,

here are most of the dublin playgrounds with photos: http://dublinfox.com/places/playgrounds.html
    our favourites are: malahide demesne, marlay park, st stephen's green, palmerstown park (dublin 6), but there are quite a few others as well. :)

Advertisement