Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

26 year old Irish girl re-locating to California

Options
  • 20-06-2012 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hello guys

Thanks for taking the time to read this. This will be my first post. I have read lots of the threads and found lots of helpful advice.

I am a Irish girl turning 26 in August and moving to California the last week in September. I am a US passport holder as my Dad is from the states.

I have been on many holidays to the East Coast but never the West Coast but it is the beaches and the climate which draws me there.

Hoping for some advice really as I suppose I am in a different situation to many others. I dont have the benefit of being able to set up a job from Ireland before I get there through one of the J1 websites, as I am not a J1'er.

Also I was hoping for some advice on where may be best to base myself. I have done alot of research and the places that appeal the most are: Santa Barbara, Santa Monica, San Fran or Newport Beach. I hear great things about San Fran but the fact it is so hilly really puts me off?

Has anyone ever had any success in emailing bars etc with some photographs etc and trying to set up work before they get there?

I am really hard working, very outgoing and have lots of work experience.

I have been on to Craigs List, are there any other good websites I should have a look at?

Also, if there are any other young Irish living in the Cali area, I would be very interested to meet up as I am heading over by myself.

Thanks in advance for any tips at all they would be really appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

It's often worth contacting GAA clubs over there & Irish centres.

Personally I did not like San Fran at all, the homeless thing is way bigger than I imagined and I didn't feel particularly safe. We have friends in Laguna Beach so I have been to most of the beach towns in Southern California over the years. You could try Hennessy's bar there, but Laguna is expensive to live in.

There's a massive mall in Newport Beach called Fashion Island..any time I've been there lots of places have been hiring.

I prefer Santa Barbara to Santa Monica...SM is a bit too LA for my liking, Santa Barbara is on the border of a wine growing area so there's a lot going on. I really liked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 lauradub86

Hi athtrasna

Thanks very much for the reply. Thanks for the tips really appreciate them.

Interesting about Newport Beach as it is a place I have considered.

One thing which is really important is that wherever I go has good public transport as I won't have a car. Is Newport easy enough to get around? I know sometimes the malls can be off big freeways etc which can be tricky to get to?

Also I have noticed that aside from San Fran there doesnt seem to be much backpacker or budget accomodation in the likes of SB/SM?

Thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Public transport is poor to non existent in much of Southern California but see http://www.octa.net/ for options. There are lots of long stay hotels & motels in So Cal which would be cheapish.

It might be worth checking out j1forum.com for info on cheap accommodation and jobs even though you're not on a J1 there would be lots of similarities budget/jobs wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I took the orange country transit bus, it's a nightmare, goes very few places and most require long transfers. I wouldn't rely on it, ended up getting a lot of taxis just to save time. I stayed in Newport for a week in a Motel a good bit away from the beach as it was much cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Public transport in SoCal is a waste of time locally. The local trains are not too bad, but it's kind of assumed that you'l have a car. If you have free time before moving over and don't have a driver's license, get one. A car is pretty much required.

Northern California is a little better, but not by much. If you live in the city it should be fine for the most part, anywhere outside it will pretty much require a car.

(I don't live there, but spend a few weeks there every few months for work. Things got a whole lot more practical/useful once I started driving).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

*** Moving from USA Travel to USA Living for more answers ***

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭happyclapper

Hi ya

Take a look at the Irish Immigrant Pastoral Centre San Francisco page on FB. I know a while back they had a job posted for a San Francisco down town pub looking for staff. They didn't want J1s as they have long term positions. Might be worth shooting them an email and they might be able to advise.

Best of Luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 lauradub86

Thanks happyclapper :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Craigslist is really the standard place to advertise jobs now. Monster.com too for salaried jobs.

Although contact places before they advertise is always the best. No business wants to go through the hell of advertising and vetting applicants.

A car is vital.

But the CA driving test is simple, fast and easy. Usually no wait or appointment necessary.

• Advertisement

Do you have a Social Security number?

If you dont you'll need to get one. Its quick though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I'm 27 and moved to Phoenix, Arizona 4 months ago. My one suggestion is bring lots of money!

You do not have any credit history in the United States. You will need to pay security deposits for everything. Also I've been to California a few times, it's pretty much impossible not to drive. On the plus side cars are pretty cheap, unfortunately fuel is the most expensive in California, still cheaper than home. Also you won't find any decent places that are actually furnished. You will need to buy furniture.

Also beware, if you are bringing over an unlocked phone from Ireland your only options are AT&T or T-Mobile. The other providers do not do sim cards for their phones. I thought because I was Vodafone I could get Verizon but I could not. I needed to go for one of the other two.

Be prepared for long commutes if you end up getting a job a bit away from where you live. Traffic is a nightmare in California.

Also don't be deceived by some stuff you read online e.g. When researching the max high temps for the months here I read that July and August were very hot but the others were ok. That wasn't accurate as Arizona has been having very hot long summers for a while now. Also when I researched the taxes they were much lower because it was based on the average. I'm making a good salary here but because I'm a single young guy I get taxed pretty heavily. People with families get the tax breaks here.

With all that said. I'd still suggest going for it. I'm better for the experience I'm getting for sure. The heat in California is nice too because of the sea breeze and you'd be 6 hours from Vegas. Goooood times

Wompa1 wrote: »
    I'm 27 and moved to Phoenix, Arizona 4 months ago.

That wasn't accurate as Arizona has been having very hot long summers for a while now.

Phoenix is famous for being so hot you cant actually go outside in it. You run from one air conditioned environment to another.

Although its a desert heat unlike the mid-west where you cant breathe because of the humidity from april through to october!

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Palmy

Yeah expect to take as much money as you can.I moved with my Wife and Son and spent $40k setting up in Florida last year (although i didn't work for the first 4 months).You will pay through the nose for everything regarding deposits etc because you don't have a credit rating.Here is a small break down for some of the things i spent.
    *car..................................$10,000 for a 2005 car(I didn't want a car that would break down or give me trouble)
    *Car insurance (Geico) .........$1,890
    *Deposit for Apt...................$3800
    *Secured credit card.............$3000
    *Furniture,Beds,Tv................$7000
    *Plates,toaster..etc...............$1000
    *Verizon tv/int set up.............$400
    *FPL electric.........................$300
    *Medical insurance.................$4000

That is just few some things.If your willing to rent a room etc it will be alot cheaper for you and the way to go.Trust me you will need a car.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

athtrasna wrote: »

Personally I did not like San Fran at all, the homeless thing is way bigger than I imagined and I didn't feel particularly safe.

+1

In saying that the Haight district is nice, cool, funky in SF and there are loads of bars (good few Irish pubs too like Marty Macs) so might be worth taking a look in that area.

I used to work in SF and I got my job because I'd been out on the lash in an Irish pub, got chatting to a guy who set me up with an interview. Lucky. But it's all about contacts over there!

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭snowyeoghan

I was in the same situation two years ago - 26 male moving to California, holding a US passport.

Here's my experience with finances:
    I first arrived in San Jose - got by without a car for three months & also shared an apartment - I was very conservative with my money. Public transport in San Jose and San Francisco isn't too bad. Cant comment on SoCal public transport though.
    When I got a job, I used cash for everything - car etc. Never needed/wanted to get a credit card - I never bought into the theory that you "need" to build up your credit score - proof: two years in America, with no credit score, I can now get a mortgage at just under 3%. Anyway, I'm not here to push my anti credit card ways on you :)

I now live in Santa Cruz - a beach town, with a slight problem with homeless/vagabonds.

It does have its pros: Beach town living, great weather all year, SoCal feeling, small town so its easy to get to know people, everything is walkable, and an hour 20 from San Francisco.

I visit San Francisco a fair amount - the pros are the city buzz, lots of things going on all the time. The cons are definitely the homeless. I certainly don't feel safe walking around some areas on my own at night. The weather is crap! It may be california, but I always feel like I'm back home when I go up and visit. I find it a little more expensive in SF over SC. The reason I chose Santa Cruz over San Francisco was the difference in weather.

I visit Santa Monica and Marina Del Rey a lot. I love it there, but it is rather expensive. After a couple of days there though, it becomes a bit too LA (as athtrasna said) - too much for my liking, and its always good to get outta there.

I've never been to Newport, but 25 miles south is a town called San Clemente. I definitely recommend checking it out. If I had to leave Santa Cruz I would move to San Clamente. Small town feeling, lovely people, great weather and only an hour thirty from LA and an hour from San Diego. Everywhere I go in California I see homeless/vagabonds, but not in San Clemente. It's the safest place I've experience here.

As for job searching - craigslist, monster.com etc

• Registered Users Posts: 8 hannah8998

In a similar position myself right now. 22 year old female. Just got laid off work in Galway and there's nothing keeping me here.

Have a green card and family in San Fran, but would rather head to LA. All of my work experience is in fashion retail so I won't have many job prospects over there. Plus rent is going to kill me.

I have an American bank account that I set up earlier this year on holiday with very little money, but I was transferring a little bit of my wages every month.

Not sure what to do now.

hannah8998 wrote: »
    All of my work experience is in fashion retail so I won't have many job prospects over there.

:confused:

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 hannah8998

I was told the retail industry has taken quite a hit. Figured the likelihood of finding a full-time job in fashion retail might be hard to obtain.

hannah8998 wrote: »
    I was told the retail industry has taken quite a hit. Figured the likelihood of finding a full-time job in fashion retail might be hard to obtain.

True, but everywhere took a hit really. (Except maybe computer programming and healthcare.)

Salaried jobs are always going to take considerably longer to find than hourly.

The shops are still open though and if you have experience I think you'll be okay. Things are picking up too.

Try searching on craigslist and you'll get a good idea.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/jjj/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 caffrey28

lauradub86 wrote: »
    Hello guys

Thanks for taking the time to read this. This will be my first post. I have read lots of the threads and found lots of helpful advice.

I am a Irish girl turning 26 in August and moving to California the last week in September. I am a US passport holder as my Dad is from the states.

I have been on many holidays to the East Coast but never the West Coast but it is the beaches and the climate which draws me there.

Hoping for some advice really as I suppose I am in a different situation to many others. I dont have the benefit of being able to set up a job from Ireland before I get there through one of the J1 websites, as I am not a J1'er.

Also I was hoping for some advice on where may be best to base myself. I have done alot of research and the places that appeal the most are: Santa Barbara, Santa Monica, San Fran or Newport Beach. I hear great things about San Fran but the fact it is so hilly really puts me off?

Has anyone ever had any success in emailing bars etc with some photographs etc and trying to set up work before they get there?

I am really hard working, very outgoing and have lots of work experience.

I have been on to Craigs List, are there any other good websites I should have a look at?

Also, if there are any other young Irish living in the Cali area, I would be very interested to meet up as I am heading over by myself.

Thanks in advance for any tips at all they would be really appreciated
    Hi laura I know this post is over two years ago , but I am in the exact same situation now I am 26 irish girl with American passport and want to go to California my cousin is la but don't think it would be for me , i was just wondering how did you get on would really appreciate gettin back to me, thanks:)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

caffrey28 wrote: »
    Hi laura I know this post is over two years ago , but I am in the exact same situation now I am 26 irish girl with American passport and want to go to California my cousin is la but don't think it would be for me , i was just wondering how did you get on would really appreciate gettin back to me, thanks:)

She has not posted on boards since this thread so I'm guessing it is unlikely that you will get a response. I am a 25 year old Irish girl who just moved to California a month ago so if you want, I can answer any questions you might have about the start of a relocation. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 caffrey28

Novella wrote: »
    She has not posted on boards since this thread so I'm guessing it is unlikely that you will get a response. I am a 25 year old Irish girl who just moved to California a month ago so if you want, I can answer any questions you might have about the start of a relocation. :)

Ah thanks for that, never posted on this before. Oh did you where did you move to, do you like it? As I said my cousin is in la but don't think it would be for me, just wanna move somewhere that won't be struggling I can work in bar etc until I get something better but be able to get pay bills etc and a bit of a life:) Did you go over on your own, i know hardly anyone there because of visas etc noone I know went over. Thanks a mill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Reindeer

Santa Cruz, and the area about it up over 17 to Los Gatos is lovely as well. I had a friend that lived near Scotts Valley, one of the few places in California I would consider living. I worked in Silicon Valley during the Internet explosion. It was a cool time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Ah thanks for that, never posted on this before. Oh did you where did you move to, do you like it? As I said my cousin is in la but don't think it would be for me, just wanna move somewhere that won't be struggling I can work in bar etc until I get something better but be able to get pay bills etc and a bit of a life:) Did you go over on your own, i know hardly anyone there because of visas etc noone I know went over. Thanks a mill

What is it about LA that you don't think is for you? Granted, it's not for everyone, but don't underestimate how great it is having some family around you when you first move over there. It can be very lonely at first, especially with the 8 hr times difference stopping you from calling home, or Skyping as often as you'd like. If you decide later on to up sticks and move, finding the perfect place for you would generally be easier if you are doing it from inside the state, than from the other side of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

I love the US but LA is a sh1thole. I'd love to move to Santa Barbara but if transport is an issue my next choice would be San Fran.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I live just a few miles outside of Sacramento and I LOVE it. :) I flew here on my own but I'm living with my boyfriend who is American so that made things A LOT easier. It's a little daunting but so far I have found everyone extremely helpful, from the management company of our apartment complex to the people working at the bank, the phone store etc. They all went out of their way to get things set up for me because I obviously have no credit rating in the US but it wasn't an issue really.

I would probably move to LA if I was you, just so that you have cousin nearby, at least for the first few months. I've only been in LA twice quite briefly but I thought some parts of it were really pretty and would live there myself! Doubt it would be overly difficult to get bar work there also.

LA is an amazing city.

People that hate LA are usually non-drivers. Its as simple as that.

It was laid out in the boom years of the early 20th century when planners genuinely though the Automobile was the future, and that everybody would have one.

So its spread out and covered in freeways. YOu have to drive almost everywhere. Public transport cant deal with the distances either.

Anyone moving there without a car is going to be severely restricted. Pretty much stuck in their neighbourhood.

But its always been like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

InTheTrees wrote: »
    LA is an amazing city.

It was laid out in the boom years of the early 20th century when planners genuinely though the Automobile was the future, and that everybody would have one.

So its spread out and covered in freeways. YOu have to drive almost everywhere. Public transport cant deal with the distances either.

Anyone moving there without a car is going to be severely restricted. Pretty much stuck in their neighbourhood.

I'm a driver. I've been there a few times now and still hate it. If you're a driver it still sucks because LA has the worst traffic in the country.

I live in Phoenix, which was also developed with cars in mind and is a very young city. It's planned impeccably...Traffic can be bad for a one hour period in the morning and evening but nothing like what I saw in LA. Phoenix is also about to complete work on a third loop (bypass) which will ease some of the traffic. They are also extending the light rail system and the airport sky train is also being extended. All things which will help reduce the number of cars on the road during peak hours.

I would wake up around 3:30am in Los Angeles and traffic would already be starting to backup on the 101...The train system is a load of ****e. The city and actually most of the state of California is disgusting. The roads are broken up and sh1tty. The amount of litter is incredible. The restaurants are nice in LA....I'll give it that. Also, obviously it gets a lot of cool concerts and sh1t but I wouldn't like to live there...I also don't like visiting all that much. San Francisco is a much nicer city but also has a lot of problems which would make me not want to live there...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

InTheTrees wrote: »
    LA is an amazing city.

While the need for a car in LA is indeed true, it was laid out in the early part of the 20th century around the large electric light rail system in the world. The present situation only came about 50 years later. Which is of course no help whatsoever to anyone moving there today :o

Advertisement