Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

26 year old Irish girl re-locating to California

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

ardmacha wrote: »
    Which is of course no help whatsoever to anyone moving there today :o

True. Here's my advice. California is one of the most expensive states to live in, in the United States. Think about what you are looking for in a place before deciding. If you'd like to make good money and save. Don't go to LA. If you want to go somewhere relaxing...I still wouldn't go to LA. I think other parts of California, like Monterey are much more relaxing. If you want to have fun, eat great food, go to concerts and be with young people...go to LA. (Or look at similar cities in the US that may be cheaper to live in)

California is also experiencing a drought...it's a crappy time to live there. Traffic is awful. The people are very Yuppie'ish...it's not a representation of the country as a whole. California is like it's own entity. It's like going to Dublin and saying you've experienced what Ireland is like...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

Wompa1 wrote: »
    it's not a representation of the country as a whole. California is like it's own entity. It's like going to Dublin and saying you've experienced what Ireland is like...

You can say that about pretty much every region in the US. It's almost impossible to have a representation of the country as a whole, it's just too big. The culture in Idaho or Utah is going to completely different to the culture in the deep south.

As for Monterey...it's great, but is a bit out on a limb, not a lot of work outside of tourism and some industry in Salinas. I know people that commute from there to Cupertino/Mountain View every day (1.5 hours each way)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

You can say that about pretty much every region in the US. It's almost impossible to have a representation of the country as a whole, it's just too big. The culture in Idaho or Utah is going to completely different to the culture in the deep south.

As for Monterey...it's great, but is a bit out on a limb, not a lot of work outside of tourism and some industry in Salinas. I know people that commute from there to Cupertino/Mountain View every day (1.5 hours each way)

1.5 each way isn't bad. It seemed like it would take that long to get from the outskirts into Downtown anyways.

Fair point about the representation...Though, I do believe the people in the midwest, some of the Eastern states and Southerns states are more alike than California. Oregon and Washington seem to be very progressive and liberal too but the people are just very different to those in California. They are more like the people in the Midwest and Southwest, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 caffrey28

Thanks for all the comments after all of them I reckon it would be better to go to new york subway, more jobs etc and maybe head somewhere else in the america make my mind up when I get over there and spend a few mts in the big apple or end up staying there :)

Advertisement