Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ALL THIS TIME I FEEL CHEATED

Options
  • 20-06-2012 7:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭

I was offered some cherries the other day when I was in a friends house. I said no as I don't like cherries, she continued to offer saying they were very nice so to be polite I tried one waiting to taste a known dislike of mine but no they tasted lovely. There was no similarity between the taste of the fruit cherry and the taste of "cherry" flavour.

So what food have you claimed to dislike until you actually ate it and then liked it and what flavours taste nothing like the food they are meant to

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Cherries for me too, funnily enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭yellowtrout

Cherries for me too. Also strawberries.
    Strawberries are lovely but taste nothing like strawberry-flavoured things.
    Banana flavoured things normally do taste of banana though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

I feel peer pressured into saying cherries now too! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭lookitsme

those banana sweets you get in the cinema taste nothing like bananas. if they weren't in the shape of a banana i would not think of banana

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

There was a radio ad on last Christmas for Disaranno. The ad promoted a cocktail of Disaronno and cranberry juice. We happened to have a bottle of Disaranno in the press; it was a bottle which was repeatedly regifted and was eventually foisted upon us, hence skulking in the back of the booze press.

And so, as there was a carton of cranberry juice in the fridge I decided to give it a go...

I was instantly transported back to being a six or seven-year old, many, many years ago. It was actually an uncanny experience. I was collected from school by my Mammy and we went into the post office-cum-shop on the way home. I was bought a cherry gobstopper, big as - to me at the time - a tennis ball. Up the road I remember seeing a just runover cat. The "cherry" flavour to me is always associated with that poor cat.

It also tastes absolutely nothing like actual cherries. Like ketchup tastes nothing like actual tomatoes.

Almond liqueuer + cranberry juice = fake cherry taste. Try it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Dissaronno and Cranberry is unreal, love it.

Used to hate prawns, love em now.
    Oh and gin and tonic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

You've compelled me to try a cherry, because I was under the impression I didn't like them too.

Liver and kidneys.

HATED them as a child, would starve before I ate them.

Don't know when it happened, but one day (some 10+ years later) I just decided to try it.

My God they're gorgeous :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Tuna, always thought of it as cat food until I tried some last year when I couldn't see anything else in the cupboard that didn't need to be cooked,I now eat it 5 times a week for lunch or a snack.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Northumbria

Well there are two different species of cherries which are eaten in Britain and Ireland.
    Sour Cherry (Prunus cerasus) is the strong flavoured one used in cooking (very nice in cherry pie ;) ) whereas the one people usually eat raw is Sweet Cherry (Prunus avium).

Usually sour cherries look darker, sweet cherries are like a brighter red usually but sometimes we get Black Cherries from America in things like yoghurts as well.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

+1 on Disaronno

Very nice indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

I've got to try a cherry!

Some meats like hamburgers or pork ribs I was convinced I didn't like until I tried them not too long ago, love them now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

There was a radio ad on last Christmas for Disaranno. The ad promoted a cocktail of Disaronno and cranberry juice. We happened to have a bottle of Disaranno in the press; it was a bottle which was repeatedly regifted and was eventually foisted upon us, hence skulking in the back of the booze press.

And so, as there was a carton of cranberry juice in the fridge I decided to give it a go...

I was instantly transported back to being a six or seven-year old, many, many years ago. It was actually an uncanny experience. I was collected from school by my Mammy and we went into the post office-cum-shop on the way home. I was bought a cherry gobstopper, big as - to me at the time - a tennis ball. Up the road I remember seeing a just runover cat. The "cherry" flavour to me is always associated with that poor cat.

It also tastes absolutely nothing like actual cherries. Like ketchup tastes nothing like actual tomatoes.

Almond liqueuer + cranberry juice = fake cherry taste. Try it.
    Great post. Proust would be proud!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Same thing happened to me, theres a big difference between a fresh cherry and those cocktail cherrys

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Your taste can change over time and what you hated as a child you might now like, but have not tried since you were small. I used to hate mayo but love it now. I love gerkins on mcdonalds burgers but used to not like them, dunno if it was just seeing everybody else discard them.
    Cherries for me too. Also strawberries.
    Strawberries are lovely but taste nothing like strawberry-flavoured things.
    I find some strawberry flavouring is OK. There is a difference between synthetic essences and proper extract. I hate the strawberry in tangle twister icepops. Proper expensive vanilla extract is made from proper vanilla and far different than cheap synthetic vanilla essence. Banana essence is close though as you found.

I like/hate some coffee flavouring too. I adore almonds, but despise 'almond slices' and bog standard marzipan.

Since cranberries are a bit expensive if you look at many of the juices it is usually a cranberry juice DRINK, meaning it has flavourings added, and usually 10-25% juice.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭lookitsme

rubadub wrote: »

I hate the strawberry in tangle twister icepops.

All this time I thought they were called tango twisters. They are by far the nicest tasting ice pop around and I will fight anyone who says different. Although I didn't know they were strawberry flavour and don't taste anything like a nice Irish strawberry, I just presumed that they are red and green flavour

MMM red and green flavour

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭itsnotmyname

I could never eat "raw" cheese as a kid ....but after tasting pizza i was converted ....but only to the milder varieties:rolleyes:Stilton is never gonna happen:D!
    Raspberries also ...my mam never liked them and the pot of raspberry jam that was bought in error was always binned. A few years back I tasted them, thinking they were strawberries, and was struck on how good they really were. I'm making my own raspberry jam now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

cherries too, remember back about 20 years ago, when i first tasted them, they were on top of some sorta fruit cake, never ate them again.

Strawberries, i find those really oversized ones they sell nowadays to be so sour and bland. I grow my own and when there about the size of a grape, they taste the way starwberries are meant to taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Catfish.
    I've always thought it'll taste all slimy and gamey. Had it out of politeness one day, loved it straight away. When smoked, its delicate flesh just melts in the mouth, sweet too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

johndoe99 wrote: »
    cherries too, remember back about 20 years ago, when i first tasted them, they were on top of some sorta fruit cake, never ate them again.

The 'cherries' on top of the cake were most likely 'glace cherries' and are an abomination to food. They bear no resemblance to a real fresh cherry with the stalk still attached and the stone in the middle!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Lpfsox

cherries are 70c per punnet this week at Aldi (stocked up earlier - mmmm, cherries... <drool> :))

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭prettygurrly

Avocado is my grown up taste...i absolutely love it now but not so much when i was young.

wrt liver n kidneys...i gave them a go because i know tastes change when you grow up but i just cant handle the texture...the taste is lovely and i'd happily put minced liver or kidneys into a lasagne to "beef" it up or use the gravy from cooking liver (so rich) in sauces and things but to actually eat them, yeuchh.

did recently have daube of beef which is beef cheek and it was pretty good...texture was closer to meat than offal

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭trinz23

when i was young i would starve before i would eat a mushroom and now i put them in everything i cook.....no idea what changed there....

i still have some very weird food things, i have never tasted the yolk of an egg, just have it in my head i wont like it....same goes for mustard, cauliflower, sweetcorn.....actually reading this i'm realising i have an aversion to most yellow foods!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭lounakin

Did I read this correctly? Are there actually people who have never or only just tried to eat a cherry?? I knew the irish diet was very limited but this is insane!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

lounakin wrote: »
    Did I read this correctly? Are there actually people who have never or only just tried to eat a cherry?? I knew the irish diet was very limited but this is insane!

No, people ate fake cherry flavour before real cherries, and assumed that was what cherries tasted like, so spent years not eating cherries for that reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

Lpfsox wrote: »
    cherries are 70c per punnet this week at Aldi (stocked up earlier - mmmm, cherries... <drool> :))

went into aldi, the glen, waterford branch to see about getting those cheap cherries to try, i can see why they were cheap, every punnet i picked up were all squishy and bruised, completely spoilt. Didn't get them, pointed them out to a staff member and enquired had they any fresh ones. He said they are fresh. Typical attitude i always get from the aldi staff.

Whats the best store for getting them ? want my new experience after 20 years to be a decent one.

Faith wrote: »
    No, people ate fake cherry flavour before real cherries, and assumed that was what cherries tasted like, so spent years not eating cherries for that reason.

Well yes then, I did read correctly... grown people who never tried real cherries! I'm amazed... truly amazed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Bubblefett

I hate fruit flavours in chocolate! It's that wierd syrupy goo, never tastes like it should.
    I think I hate peaches because of peach chubba-chubs from when I was a kid. Maybe I should actually try a peach some day....

This is insane! You people, go out, buy peaches, strawberries and cherries and TRY them already!!! Fruits are good... very good... live a little! Take a walk on the wild side!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

The cherries anybody over 35 remembers from their childhood came in a plastic carton and were smothered in syrup. Normally taken at Christmas with the cake.

Advertisement