Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Web design course

Options
  • 20-06-2012 7:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭

Hey all,
    I'm interested in applying for a website design course in Dublin as soon as possible.
    Can anyone point me in the right direction ? I've never done any before so I'd be looking for a beginners course, I'd prefer a night time course as I work 5 days a week

Thanks in advance !!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 daraclare

Hi Burdock, I'm thinking of doing something similar, was thinking of this http://www.dublindesign.ie/6-week-associate-certificate-courses/web-design but not sure, it's quite expensive. I think asking the instructors name and checking out their websites is a good idea. There's also IBAT in Templebar http://www.ibat.ie/it-training/web-design-courses.html but I'm unsure about places that call a part-time 9 week course a diploma - it's obviously not a real diploma...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭Burdock

daraclare wrote: »
    Hi Burdock, I'm thinking of doing something similar, was thinking of this http://www.dublindesign.ie/6-week-associate-certificate-courses/web-design but not sure, it's quite expensive. I think asking the instructors name and checking out their websites is a .................

Was looking at those courses too, just wasn't sure if they were for total beginners, thanks for the quick reply man

I'd imagine they are all for beginners or else they'd be called advanced, I did an "Advanced" web design course ages ago in FAS and it was terrible — really basic and the instructor didn't seem to be sure what she was doing at all. I also tried a few Lynda.com courses online but it's not always easy to have the discipline to learn on your own.
    Good luck either way, if you find a good oe let me know, Dara - not a man by the way :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭Burdock

daraclare wrote: »
    I'd imagine they are all for beginners or else they'd be called advanced, I did an "Advanced" web design course ages ago in FAS and it was terrible — really basic and the instructor didn't seem to be sure what she was doing at all. I also tried a few Lynda.com courses online but it's not always easy to have the discipline to learn on your own.
    Good luck either way, if you find a good oe let me know, Dara - not a man by the way :)

Will do ! :) did an ECDL course online through the army, never finished it, had the best intentions to study at home but no discipline at all when it came down to it :)

Didn't mean to offend, force of habit. Everyone is man :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭paulbok

I done the Ibat course last year, and it's not too bad for 9 weeks. You get the (very) basics covered in html & css but it's run using dreamweaver. You do get a Fetac 5 cert out of it so it's not a case of them just printing their own diplomas.
    9 nights is very short, but you learn enough to be able to start to teach yourself and they also run an advanced course.
    I think they may have started their summer course already though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 mr_c

Is there any web design courses in galway that you guys can recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭kulareggae

Hi guys i did a part time course in Itb was monday tuesday and wednsday nite id recommend it its creative digital media it covers design and development

also lynda.com briliant

Definitely Lynda.com if you have the discipline, it's the cheapest option by far.

Not offended Burdock but thanks. If anyone decides on a course can you let us know? Met someone doing the basic web design in IBAT but they weren't very happy with it - they didn't mention exactly why, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭sedantez

Hi,

I did the Madart course in Dublin - overall I learned a huge amount and enjoyed the course. It gives you a crash course in designing webpage in photoshop and developing in dreamweaver.

The only cons I found;
    -it's very unstructured and informal e.g. no theory or notes
    -the course goes at an incredibly fast pace if you're a beginner in photoshop and dreamweaver

The biggest problem I found
    -the course did not have a final project to refresh everything you have learned and test your skills.

On the flipside, if you are like me and enjoy skipping the theory and getting stuck-in, the course will suit you.

The other thing I would recommend is http://www.codecademy.com its free and gives good understanding of html & CSS.

Good Luck.

Advertisement