Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Portrait of Dorian Gray...

• 20-06-2012 8:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭

Really stupid question but my friend keeps annoying me by saying Dorian Gray was * really intelligent*. I on the other hand argue that he was of above average intelligence...
    I need to know who is right...
    So please, all those who have read it contribute...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

I liked how she always had a different young fella on the go. Sharon and Tracy couldn't understand how she kept doing it. Hilarious stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,629 ✭✭✭TheBody

Eh this is After Hours!! Not exactly the place to discuss Oscar Wilde!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Some explanations for your respective positions would be nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Wait - is this thread not about a guy with a picture of himself that ages whilst he stays the same age ??!?! :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Pedant

TheBody wrote: »

Why not? Isn't literature mainstream amongst the kids nowadays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭bhovaspack

TheBody wrote: »

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Izymunz

O.k.. yeah ... thanks... A heated argument means nothing to yee.. I get it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

Your both wrong. Dorian Gray was quite intelligent even compared to someone of average intelligence who may be considered really intelligent in relation to someone who is not really intelligent but was in fact fictionally intelligent which may even describe the person in question whom was indeed a work of fiction and as such could not really be classed as intelligent given the fact that he does not actually exist.

Izymunz wrote: »
    O.k.. yeah ... thanks... A heated argument means nothing to yee.. I get it...

I wonder why that is?
    Izymunz wrote: »
    Really stupid question but my friend keeps annoying me by saying Dorian Gray was * really intelligent*. I on the other hand argue that he was of above average intelligence...
    I need to know who is right...
    So please, all those who have read it contribute...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Was he the invisible one in the league of extraordinary gentlemen?

• Advertisement

I wonder why that is?

Yeah.. brilliant totally set myself up for that one.
    Good job though, thanks :P

Dorian was somewhat intelligent, but did some stupid things, such as indulging his senses while simultaneously avoiding responsibility for his actions.
    Stupid and narcissistic though this may be, it's also understandable, so Dorian was neither particularly intelligent nor unintelligent: he was too vain, self-indulgent and irresponsible.

That's all you're getting from me as you gave no details in your OP.

The Picture of Dorian Gray: it's a good book so it is.

Dorian was somewhat intelligent, but did some stupid things, such as indulging his senses while simultaneously avoiding responsibility for his actions.
    Stupid and narcissistic though this may be, it's also understandable, so Dorian was neither particularly intelligent nor unintelligent: he was too vain, self-indulgent and irresponsible.

That's all you're getting from me as you gave no details in your OP.

The Picture of Dorian Gray: it's a good book so it is.

Fair enough... I win... :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

Sky King wrote: »
    Was he the invisible one in the league of extraordinary gentlemen?

I thought he was the good looking one in it but I think we might be thinking of someone else!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

An old sayin from the industry.
    "If it ain't a film; it should never have been a book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

El Weirdo wrote: »
    I liked how she always had a different young fella on the go. Sharon and Tracy couldn't understand how she kept doing it. Hilarious stuff.

I got it ;)

We are the old crew here ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

A great book indeed - although I was never too interested in the respective intelligences of the protagonists. I found the moral dimensions far more interesting, especially given Wilde's preface.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Well Oscar Wilde fancied himself being quite witty and well above average intelligence so of course he would assign the same characteristics to Dorian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

Itd be nice to be him for a day according to Pete Doherty.
    Professionally trendy in the glow of Claphams sun
    There’s life after work and it can be such fun
    You see all your models in magazines and on the walls
    You wanna be just like them
    Cause they’re so cool

They’re just narcissists
    Well wouldn’t it be nice to be Dorian Gray?
    Just for a day
    They’re just narcissists
    Oh, what’s so great to be Dorian Gray
    Everyday?

We’re living in a looking glass
    As the beauty of life goes by
    You’re going to be so oh
    You’re going to grow so old
    Your skin so cold

Well they’re just narcissists
    Just for a day
    They’re just narcissists
    Oh, what’s so great to be Dorian Gray
    Everyday?

They’re just narcissists
    Just for a day
    Just for a day

I think the song is more about models just being the beautiful people for a short period of time though , but I never read the book it wasnt accompanied by music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

It was never called the Portrait of Dorian Gray - except when people wanted to sound snobbish.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

El Weirdo wrote: »

A birds of a feather joke?

I would have gone with the portrait of dorian gay.

Confab wrote: »
    It was never called the Portrait of Dorian Gray - except when people wanted to sound snobbish.

I really don't know why so many people think it's "Portrait". Where did that even come from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I really don't know why so many people think it's "Portrait". Where did that even come from?

It sounds more pretentious.

It sounds more pretentious.

I was thinking it's too widespread to just be that, and maybe it's a mix up of A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man?

Edit: It's ironic, because now I'm being pretentious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Just clear this up, isn't the book called A Picture Of Dorian Gray? Wilde felt he was a bit superior.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The Picture of Dorian Gay (not to be confused with "The Picture of Dir en grey", "The Pitcher in the Gray", "The Mugshot of Dorian Gray" or "The Cumshot of Dorian Gray") was written by Oscar Wilde in 9065 A.C.. It is about a young lad that has a friend with piles, Basil Hallward. During a roasting session, Dorian meets Henry Wotton, a pimp that gets immediately impressed on Dorian's sight; Henry pulls out a courgette and begins a sweet talk to Dorian, to a point that makes him become an accountant. Basil, feeling a little icky after trying for years to impress Dorian, kicks them both up the arse and finishes the picture alone. Henry takes Dorian to another room and begins teaching him how to play the flute. After they finish, Henry tells Dorian that Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - Iraqi special edit, is his most valuable possession and that Snape kills Dumbledore. Then they are called by Basil to see the picture just finished. Dorian, thinking of Henry's willy, gets so sad he wishes the picture would get old instead of him, (cuckoo!) Basil tells Dorian he can pick up the picture tomorrow.

Next morning he looks at the mirror and, surprisingly, his makeup is perfect. "WTF?", he thinks, and then goes to pick up the picture that shows, you guessed, Dorian with pasty skin, run up makeup and red nose. "So my wish has been granted, the picture! I gotta hide it quick!!!!". Too late, since Basil has already seen the pic. "****e! What happened?" "I dunno, lol,", says Dorian smiling innocently stroking a piece of wet celery. "Well, I'll have to restore it. Get me a hedge-trimmer, some bleach and an assortment of continental cheeses." "Oh, please, don't bother, I'll take it as is." "**** you! That'll give me a bad name! See the signature?"

"Damn, I'll have to kill this ****er now", thinks Dorian. Looking around for weapons he finds none except for a chocolate eclair. "Oh well, better than nothing". So he turns around and sticks it in Basil's behind, and by "it" I mean a knife, and by "Basil's behind" I mean his neck. So he stabs him one, two, three... up to 42 times until Basil stops moving and bitching. Then he calls his chemist friend (don't leave home without one) to get rid of Basil's corpse, then he has to kill and get rid of this friend and so on... you get the picture.

The rest of the book is about Dorian falling in love with hot chicks such as Sibyl Vane, copping a feel of their jumblies, dumping them, drinking himself stupid and generally becoming a member of the The Rolling Stones. So he goes and takes a peek at the picture one day and lets out a bit of an old scream, the girl. The picture has gotten older and decrepit, a bit like Michael Jackson. So Dorian, goes and gets a butter knife from the kitchen, feeling suddenly peckish. But instead of making a sandwich he stabs the picture. (Nope, nor me.)

Some days later, the housekeepers find what looks like Michael Jackson stinking dead with a butter knife in his neck and the perfect, unharmed picture of Dorian Gray. They can only tell that was their master because of his preciouss, preciouss ring (rumour has it he had stolen it from Gollum, Frodo, Sam and the three wise men).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

You left out how he blew up the death star.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

Little Alex knows little of such things; but Dorian Gray was a hedonist, if not a libertarian. ;)

It was also a cautionary tale of sorts and very possibly a damning self critique, a la Edgar Allan Poe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

LordSmeg wrote: »
    Your both wrong. Dorian Gray was quite intelligent even compared to someone of average intelligence who may be considered really intelligent in relation to someone who is not really intelligent but was in fact fictionally intelligent which may even describe the person in question whom was indeed a work of fiction and as such could not really be classed as intelligent given the fact that he does not actually exist.
    Deep breath now.... Thaaaaaaaaaat's it..
    Gold medal for longest sentence in thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Dorian wasn't very intelligent at all he was molded by Henry Wotton. Wotton was the real genius.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Has nobody said this yet?

Literature
    > http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=19

but OP, as far as I was concerned, Dorian Gray was quite intelligent, but always thought him extremely naive, especially early on in the book but this seemed to change as it went on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

+1

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Lippincott_doriangray.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭PrincessLola

He came across as a total male-model bimbo type to me, sooo easily influenced by others. Basil totally had the hots for him and was all like 'no Lord Henry plz don't corrupt my sweet innocent virgin flower' and Lord Henry was all like 'lol nope'.

Advertisement