Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fencing question

Options
  • 20-06-2012 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭

Just looking for some idea of the cost of supplying and installing a fence between myself and my neighbour. I was thinking of a vertical closed fence around 4ft high, the garden is roughly 8 metres long.
    The reason I want the fence is because my neighbour has a hideous box hedge that I have a pain in my **** maintaining on my side. She loves it and has no intention of replacing it with a fence or wall. Can I legally erect the fence on my side. I will obviously have a chat with her first and will only cut what is necessary from my side. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

you can erect a fence up to 2 metres legally and she cant do jack about it once the posts and rails or panels fall on your side. i have the exact same issue as you and i will be doing it in the near future..couldnt be arsed trimming their hedge twice a year. although before i got a side gate he used to come in and do it himself which was very accomadating.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 156 ✭✭ymurtagh

approx 350-500euro depending on the finish and timber type you want,, instaledl in concrete

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

you can erect a fence up to 2 metres legally and she cant do jack about it once the posts and rails or panels fall on your side. i have the exact same issue as you and i will be doing it in the near future..couldnt be arsed trimming their hedge twice a year. although before i got a side gate he used to come in and do it himself which was very accomadating.

2 meters is for the rear of a house,as in a back garden.

Legal max height for the front of a house/front garden is 1.2 meters.;)

Any fences,walls or boundaries above those heights require full planning permission/planning retention.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭jos28

Thanks for the replies folks, I definitely won't be going higher than 2 metres. Just high enough to hide the hedge. Pleased to hear that it shouldn't cost a fortune either. Thanks everyone !

Paddy if you have any shoots coming off your bamboo I would appreciate a couple!

• Advertisement

Paddy if you have any shoots coming off your bamboo I would appreciate a couple!

But I dont have any bamboo in my garden.

Honest.:)

Lots and lots of hornbeam,foxgloves and giant alliums though,oh and a multistem birch..;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

Regarding fence height of 2m at back of properties.
    If there is a difference in height between the gardens of neighbouring houses, where does that 2 metres start,my property or the adjoining property? my garden is slightly higher.

I intend to put a wooden fence up on top of or on my garden side of a wall, I see 2metres is the allowable limit and I think this is acceptable enough for me.
    The garden wall was not built by me, it was constructed by the original owner but on the centreline of where a fence/the boundary is between our properties.

Merch wrote: »
    Regarding fence height of 2m at back of properties.
    If there is a difference in height between the gardens of neighbouring houses, where does that 2 metres start,my property or the adjoining property? my garden is slightly higher.

I intend to put a wooden fence up on top of or on my garden side of a wall, I see 2metres is the allowable limit and I think this is acceptable enough for me.
    The garden wall was not built by me, it was constructed by the original owner but on the centreline of where a fence/the boundary is between our properties.

2 meters in height would be from the "base" of your garden wall on your side,as the fence will be on your side.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

Thats grand, I was thinking of putting a fence up plus trellis on top of it but I might just make it solid all the way up, there wouldn't be too much difference in the height.

thats a good question. I was going to put a trellis a few foot over the height of the wall which would bring it over 2 metres. I have seen lots of people doing it an didnt get any complaints.

• Advertisement

thats a good question. I was going to put a trellis a few foot over the height of the wall which would bring it over 2 metres. I have seen lots of people doing it an didnt get any complaints.

A few lengths of PT (pressure treated) 2 x 1 inch drilled/screwed onto the walls with 7mm brown rawlplugs and then screw the PT Trellis Frames onto the 2 x 1 battons with 35m stainless steel screws.

Simples.:)

Thabnks Paddy I wanted to ask you what you used on your raised beds to get that colour. i really like it. going to copy it and it will match the black edging stones i am just putting up against my new sandstone patio.:)

Thabnks Paddy I wanted to ask you what you used on your raised beds to get that colour. i really like it. going to copy it and it will match the black edging stones i am just putting up against my new sandstone patio.:)

10 euro from Fleetwood Trade Paints in Finglas.:)

Can be had in brown,grey,red,black and green.Ita slso safe for animals and plants too,as its water based.And it also repels rain very well too.

My missus painted the sleepers prior to installing them and making the raised beds.

3 good coats using a mini roller and gloss paint foam roller and it was job done.:)

Advertisement