Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

scam job adverts

Options
  • 20-06-2012 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭

My gf just applied to a job advert in a local paper on monday and got this weird email back yesterday. Not only is the structure a bit strange but the dear applicant salutation and the fact that the email the reply came from is not from the same domain (gmail) as the one you were asked to apply to. We sent an email yesterday asking the paper to verify it or atleast look into it and we havent heard anything back, im not happy that they havent even emailed to say they would look into it, after all on her cv she has our home address, phone number and her current place of work which is a little worrying.
    I would be interested in your opinion.

_________________________________________Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2012 07:58:22 +0100
    Subject: Re: Job Application
    To:

Dear Applicant,
    I wish to inform you that the advertised position is not available anymore, but there is another available position if you don't mind and below is the job details for your review .
    POSITION TITLE: Personal Assistant..AVAILABILITY: OpenSTART DATE: ImmediatelyCOMMISSION:  £ 2,000 Per monthly
    I got your resume and it has been reviewed, I did appreciate it, So I will give this a GO !
    This employment opportunity will not hinder or disturb your present occupation and if not employed it serves as a extra means of income.
    I'm looking for someone that can be trusted and reliable, someone with good understanding and working skills.
    As my personal assistant, your activities among others will include:
    *Create and modify documents using Microsoft Office*Running personal errands, supervisions and monitoring.*Scheduling programmes, flights and keeping me up to date with them.*Making regular contacts and drop-offs on my behalf.*Handling and monitoring some of my financial activities..
    QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS:
    *Good planning, communication and organisation skills*Must be honest, reliable & dependable*Excellent verbal & written communication skills*Must have strong problem solving skills*Must be organised & extremely detail oriented*Experience working with the Internet, email, MS Excel and MS Word*Ability to multi-task and self manage 24/7 mindset*A willingness to do whatever needs to be done is a must
    NOTE: The above qualification requirements can also be learnt if you are willing to take up the challenges.
    This position is Part-time and flexible, you will work at your convenience. Let me know if you will be able to offer me any of these services. I would love to meet up with you to talk about this job but I am currently away on business. I am presently in the United State for a short business trip so there will be no interview.

I will pre-pay you in advance to do my business errands. I will also have my mails forwarded to your address. If you will be unable to stay at your house to get my mails, I can have it shipped to a post office near you and then you can pick it up at your convenience. When you get my mails; you are required to mail them to where I want them mailed to. You don't have to put money out of your pocket,  all you have to do is have packages shipped to you and do my shopping. You are allowed to open the packages to reveal its content. 
    The content of the packages are  Artworks and personal letters.  All expenses and taxes will be covered by me.  You will work between 20 and 25hrs a month.
    How much will you charge per week? I will pay £500. That is not a bad offer is it? .  I need your service because I 
    am constantly out of town. I work in real estate and I own an Art Gallery in the United State. I will return back  by July 20th, 2012 so this process will be going - on till i get back in July. If you don't mind, I will meet up with you when I return and then we can talk about the possibility of making this long term.

Well, let me know if you are able to handle the position. Hope to hear from you right away . I will email you the list and pictures of what to shop for when I am ready. No heavy packages is involved! You can do the shopping at any nearest stores. You will be shopping for clothing's.  I will provide you my personal UPS account number for 
    Shipping . All you have to do is provide my account number to UPS and shipping charges will be applied into the account. I will provide clear set of instructions for each task I need done as well the funds to cover them. If I were to mail you check to do my shopping plus upfront payment for your service, where would you want it mailed to? How should your name appear on the payment? Maybe you can provide me with the following details below:  

Once I have received your contact information, I week. Please understand that you will also be paid as well as its important for me to make the necessary steps before i get back from my business trip.You must always reply to any of my email when you get them so i know you got the instructions.
    I hope i am clear with that?
    Please get back as soon as possible...
    Thank You!!David Ryan.

On 18 June 2012 23:16, j
        I would like to apply for the positions of Admin Assistant, Customer Service Rep or Receptionist as advertised in the xxxxxx recently.
    Please find my CV attached. Hope to hear from you soon.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭cococoady

That's weird alright. I wouldn't be trusting it. I'd also be calling into the paper personally to fcuk someone outta it.

What add and paper was it anyway. Might stop other people falling for it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Dog-04-june.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 29,174 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Run. A. Mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭theblueirish

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Hijpo

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Run. A. Mile.

I wasnt sure if i could name the paper but this its the munster and this the adverts page http://www.munster-express.ie/files/2010/01/MN_08June_027.jpg its the first large one with the caption "are you motivated, dedicated, organised...."

thanks blueirish, never evn thought of searching here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 CDSmith

Yup, looks like scam, especially that there is no name for the business.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭membersonly

How on earth can you not see that this is a scam? Seriously like...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

This is the 5th time ive read about this on boards now. Someone needs to have a word with someone in the Munster

• Registered Users Posts: 28,341 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Some years ago I found an ad that seemed to suit me in the job ads in the Munster. It was looking for CVs to be sent to a box number and I did not like the idea of just firing my information off to something as vague as a box number.

I went into the Munster and asked what the story was, could they give me any reassurance about who was advertising, and they said they only took ads from sources they knew. So I sent off a shortened cv with just my name and address and asked them to get back to me and I would send my full cv once I knew who they were. Needless to say I never heard anything from them.

Now with emails it is even harder to keep up with scam adverts, but in times when jobs are so scarce it is hard to resist contacting them. You could argue, just send a minimum outline of your capabilities and an email address, but that will not work unless everyone does it.

Maybe it would be a start if newspapers included a notice saying 'do not send all your information to job ads until you have made preliminary contact with them'. Also insist that advertisers give a business name and address, even if not for publication. This would need a bit of teasing out, but there needs to be some regulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

How on earth can you not see that this is a scam? Seriously like...

I'm pretty sure they know its a scam.

• Advertisement

Yeah we know its a scam, but on the matter of the munster not getting back to us to say "thanks for letting us know, we are investigating it" atleast is not acceptable. They still havent pulled the ad like.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Kxiii

The missus got the same email, she called into the Munster today and they are aware of it and have reported him to the ASAI. They will not carry the ad any more, but it was due to run this week.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

ive seen pyramid scam jobs,i think another job scam is jobbridge and fas,they suck what could have been paid jobs advertised right out of the community..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

any reputable business would have , some kind of contact like a landline or company webmail, there seems to be a lot of these scam adverts lurking around recently...
    just think of all the personel info is on a cv and would you be happy with some scamster having it in their murky paws....

Hoffmans wrote: »
    any reputable business would have , some kind of contact like a landline or company webmail, there seems to be a lot of these scam adverts lurking around recently...
    just think of all the personel info is on a cv and would you be happy with some scamster having it in their murky paws....

I think the responsibility of what get advertised lies with the paper, surely they have to be more aware of what constitutes a scam ad and whats legit?

The lack of a reply from them really pi$$ed me off to be honest, only for this forum we still wouldnt know where we stood with this issue.

Advertisement