Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

13 week old Rottie

• 20-06-2012 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Well

Loving my new little pup, finally got him all his shots etc and walking him 15 mins every eve, quick question, when do they normally get comfortable with water, enou to go fetching a ball or something?

Still trying to get him to grasp this toilet training malarkey but he's getting there

Cheers all

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I'd try coaxing him in - eg go to the beach and step into the water with him. My retriever was about 8 or 9 months when he finally got into the river of his own accord instead of just standing with 2 paws in - but once he did there was no stopping him! In at every chance he gets - sea/river/lake/puddles! :D For fetching from water - he prefers fetching from the sea than the river. Don't go buying a fancy water toy - stick with cheap tennis balls until you can trust him to bring them back. I've had to tell my guy to leave the ball a couple of times when I've thrown it too far and he wanted to swim miles out and get it!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 OhLongJohnson

Although the weathers not great, you could go down to the beach in some swimming gear (with a tshirt on, it's Ireland!) and try to coax him in from within the water yourself with some treats or toys he likes and reward him when he makes progress?

Doesn't have to be far, just get the four paws in at first.

Somewhere like sandymount would be ideal, if you're in Dublin, when the tide is out there's lots of big and small shallow pools about that you could use.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 mcquaid1

Although the weathers not great, you could go down to the beach in some swimming gear (with a tshirt on, it's Ireland!) and try to coax him in from within the water yourself with some treats or toys he likes and reward him when he makes progress?

Doesn't have to be far, just get the four paws in at first.

Somewhere like sandymount would be ideal, if you're in Dublin, when the tide is out there's lots of big and small shallow pools about that you could use.

Ah jaysus I love the Lil guy but I'd be no good to him with hypothermia!!

I've bray seafront on my doorstep so I guess I'll just keep trying some balls

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I mean like step into the water with him not go out far or anything! :D Best bet is to go when there's other dogs there - he'll want to copy them to be cool.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

+1 to Tk and OLJ's advice!
    It is much easier to go in ahead of the dog, really easy, as if you don't really know you're doing it, and let the dog follow you in in small stages.
    Though I'll flesh out a bit on what OLJ said: I would not start a "beginner" swimmer where there are waves and a lot crashy water, as this can be a bit scary. So, concentrate first on pools and calm water on the beach, and if you're Bray on your doorstep, you have Enniskerry and Tinnehinch nearby too... up to the shallow bits of the Dargle with you, where there are no waves and no crashy water! Try to get in at places where you can walk in without having to step down into the water.... sure you could do that in your wellies!:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement