Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

access course or level 8 course

Options
  • 20-06-2012 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭

hi all, so i have applied to do level 8 psych course and also an access course incase i do not get into the psych course, however i am now having 2nd thoughts about doing the 3 yr psych course because i fear i may or may not struggle with it in my 1st year and now im wondering would i be best off to do the access course and build up my education and confidence for college.

has anyone been in my situation, what did ye decide to do ?? is the essay type work really hard in the 1st year ??

any information would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Most colleges offer support to mature students and regular students with essay writing and study skills etc.

That said, I know I would have found it hard to cope in 1st year if I hadn't completed the access course beforehand. Everyone is different but if you feel that you would struggle then I would go for the access course first. IT will ease you back into the study environment and it gives you a lot of confidence in your ability going into 1st year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Hi. Just to give you another perspective; I went straight into my undergrad without doing an access course (I actually didn't know about them until I started the degree!) and this was 10 years after doing the Leaving Certificate so I was out of the education game for a while.

I actually didn't find it difficult to get into things once I started; I didn't really use any of the resources available in the university for mature students but my sister did give me some advice regarding essay writing for the first couple of assignments so that definitely did help, but this is something lecturers/tutors will also be able to help you with (that is, assuming you don't know anyone else who would be in a position to give you advice).

Most, if not all, of my mature student friends had done an access course beforehand. The general consensus was similar to the points Larianne made regarding it being a beneficial experience etc. however I did not struggle during first year, or the rest of the degree, so not having done the access course certainly was not a hindrance on me. What probably helped me the most was being familiar with academic writing prior to starting. I used to (and still do!) read a lot of academic books owing to the nature of my interests so having to read this stuff in university wasn't new to me, it's something that can throw people initially. I did not do psychology but if there are any general questions you want to ask, feel free.

Advertisement