Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Level C3 in Leaving Cert Irish

• 20-06-2012 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi,

I am English, and have moved over to Ireland - am here permanently.
    I would like to teach, but have discovered there is no way of me getting onto the HDIP without C3 in Leaving Cert Irish.

I realise there are no teaching jobs in Ireland presently, so there is no massive rush - but was thinking of learning irish in the meantime, in the hope that things will pick up in the future.

I have had mixed replies about how difficult it would be for me to achieve this level. I achieved good grades in English, French and Spanish at GCSE (16YR) level, and also studied Spanish to A-level and then completed a degree in Spanish. I do realise that Irish is not like any other language.

Would it be a complete waste of my time to learn Irish from scratch - am I better changing my path and forgetting the idea of teaching??

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

It's not clear if you are talking about Primary or Post-Primary teaching. If it is the latter then you don't need Irish and the use of the term 'H Dip' (that term's about five years out of date by the way - it's already on its second name change at this stage!) suggests it is Post-Primary.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 marber1978

Thats funny... Im in a similar position... moved from England with family at 16 and did Leaving Cert with exemption in Irish.

Went on to do Social Science degree and Masters in Social work.. have been working as a Social Worker for past 7 years and now really want to do national school teaching...

but I have to learn Irish from scratch.. Im enrolling in a beginners class in Leixlip in Sep and want to get a book or two in the meantime..
    Any suggestions what to start with.. I need to get from zero to Hons Leaving Cert!

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Before getting any book you should maybe get some listening tapes. Reading the written word might throw you if you don't have someone telling you how to pronounce the words properly. Pimsleur has one, but I'm sure there are others if you go into Easons.

Turas Teanga is a nice book, I've read through it quickly.But as I said be careful you don't start pronouncing everything as they would be said in English.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

It's only a waste of time trying to learn the language if you're only doing it to achieve the minimum standard to allow you to teach. If you learn the language with a view to gaining a level of fluency and if you take it seriously then I'm sure you'll have no trouble learning it. Learning to speak it rather than reading it and writing it would be a good start though, as the poster above me suggested.

Please don't go into it with the attitude "there's a minimum standard I need to achieve" though. We have enough Irish people with this attitude who go on to become incompetent teachers without importing more.

Advertisement