Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick fix for a sore throat

Options
  • 20-06-2012 9:48pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I've been taking Lemsips and Strepsils the last few days for a cold and a sore throat.

I'm not getting better, but I'm not getting any worse either, and I assume it'll be time more than any medicine which will eventually oust the cold germs.

I've a gig though in a few days and I'm worried the sore throat will still be hanging around then. It's a solo gig and I'll be singing (hopefully!) for two hours. This is my first gig in this particular pub and I really don't want to have to cancel.

So, can I ask if anyone has any last-minute, quick fixes for how to get through two hours of singing with a sore throat in tow?

Thanks.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Ms Happy

Tablespoon of manuka honey, it's a miracle cure :)

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭PammyD

Chop and boil up some lemons and ginger, when boiled pour the water into a glass, stir in some manuka honey.. Works wonders :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Thanks folks.

I'll make sure I have the ingredients ready for Saturday night now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭keyboardcook

Start taking your manuka honey now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Gargle warm, salty water. Have the water as hot as you can get it without burning yourself. Do this every time you get a few minutes. Works a charm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Honey, honey, more honey. Bring some to the gig too. Forget Lockets/Halls or newsagent type sweets, they are largely ineffective other than the placebo effect.

Oh, and absolutely NO cold drinks whatsoever but warm drinks are ok generally.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭grumbleweed

If you want my tupence worth and what has worked for me in the past,

Lay off all dairy products (ie) milk in tea , coffie , butter etc as this coats the lining of the throat and vocal chords and acts as a barrier for any remedy you take and can slow down the healing process.

If you smoke , DONT

Gargle Gargle Gargle with warm water and salt .

Dont speak and rest your voice . Get a bell if need be .

Take Honey .

Dont take any alcahol as this dehydrates vocal chords .

Hope this helps a bit .

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Thanks again.

I don't smoke and have started taking the honey, and coincidentally or otherwise my throat is starting to feel better :)

Advertisement