Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

River inn

Options
  • 20-06-2012 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭

seems to be closed today, anyone know the story ?

westgolf

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Bank moved in they took the foster court off him a few weeks ago

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭foxy_19-89

I heard today that Fox's, The Foster Court and The River Inn are all closed?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Perhaps those 1992 prices a month ago weren't such a good idea.

Sympathies to the staff who've lost jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

JustMary wrote: »
    Perhaps those 1992 prices a month ago weren't such a good idea.

Sympathies to the staff who've lost jobs.

The place was packed that night.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,151 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

The place was packed that night.
    As was the path outside ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

Dammit! Their carvery dinners were fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Bit strange that Fox's was done up just before it had to close. Lost a few of the regulars by doing that.
    Feel sorry for the staff alright.
    Hope some of the pubs that weren't part of the group will keep them going for the season.
    It will be a bit harder for the long time River Inn staff. If JM plays his cards right he will snap them up for Cullinanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

As said above, banks moved in and took over.

I wish the place could keep trading as a going concern, as said above the carvery in there was amazing.

I feel so sorry for many of the staff in there whom the place was their livelihood

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭foxy_19-89

Fox's was originally my grandmothers (hense the 'Fox'). If I was in any position myself, I would take it over again!

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Galwayps

Revenue moved in, not the banks.
    Premises leased so will revert to owner and be let out in time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭sue z

noticed that alright, a shame nowhere to get a bit of dinner close to hospital! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

sue z wrote: »
    noticed that alright, a shame nowhere to get a bit of dinner close to hospital! :(

every shop on that street sells food

I'm not talking about 'food', I'm talking about dinner..

Supermacs, Mr Waffle, Subway and Mixt Greens are harldly what you'd call dinner

• Registered Users Posts: 15,245 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

it would be great if The River Inn reverted to P.M. Kellahans like the pre River Inn days.
    A true 'public' house

I'm not talking about 'food', I'm talking about dinner..

Supermacs, Mr Waffle, Subway and Mixt Greens are harldly what you'd call dinner
    Mixtgreens can be, depends what you call dinner, if its shpuds and 'mate' and gravy you want then your not in luck.

Mixtgreens can be, depends what you call dinner, if its shpuds and 'mate' and gravy you want then your not in luck.

That is what I'd call a bitta dinner alright! :) Mixt greens is more salads and sandwiches. Was there today and thats all there was on offer. Was looking forward to the River Inn but Alas! it wasn't to be...

That is what I'd call a bitta dinner alright! :) Mixt greens is more salads and sandwiches. Was there today and thats all there was on offer. Was looking forward to the River Inn but Alas! it wasn't to be...
    Does that Mixt Greens not do the hot food like cajun chicken burgers/lamb burgers etc that they do in town?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Can anyone tell me if The Forster Court is open or closed ?

I had arranged to meet someone there tomorrow afternoon so need to know if I need to change plans.

Thanks.

I hope it (and Lawless's other premises) stay open for the staff.
    I know a lot of people working in them.

Does that Mixt Greens not do the hot food like cajun chicken burgers/lamb burgers etc that they do in town?

no sign of any burgers on the menu today

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

The menus are identical in both mix(t)greens.

• Advertisement

my humble apologies 4 the mistake, didn't spot them today in Newcastle

it would be great if The River Inn reverted to P.M. Kellahans like the pre River Inn days.
    A true 'public' house

Only pub I've ever seen that put up a sign saying 'draught Guinness now available'. Bring back Peter Michael and his hatch. No idiots acting the bollix on the streets those days either.

Lapin wrote: »

I had arranged to meet someone there tomorrow afternoon so need to know if I need to change plans.

Thanks.

Fibbers and Kennedys were open anyway. Didn't get close enough to the hotel to check but the lights were on.

Lapin wrote: »

Thanks.

You could have just rang them ??

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭ladhrann

Only pub I've ever seen that put up a sign saying 'draught Guinness now available'. Bring back Peter Michael and his hatch. No idiots acting the bollix on the streets those days either.

Are you sure there were no idiots 'back then'? According to my aul lad they used to have idiots as much as fifty year ago.

Amen to bringing back Peter Michael's the stories of the place are legion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭scholar007

Mixtgreens?????? - Title is enough to turn off a lad who wants a feed! Sounds like a real poncey gaff........:confused:

ladhrann wrote: »

Are you sure there were no idiots 'back then'? According to my aul lad they used to have idiots as much as fifty year ago.

Those days the only 'Shot' Galweigans heard of was from listening to the news about the troubles up North and the nearest thing to Buckfast was the fast buck to be made after leaving the Claddagh Bank (which was often spent in Peter Michaels). Courtneys or Keatings never needed to have bouncers on the door to make sure you got your chips safely. And a pub crawl meant almost literally that after leaving the Early House in the morning and ending up in Bohermore at closing time(ish) after making a detour to Salthill for the Sunday 'holy hour' and having a pint in every pub on the way.
    Not quite fifty years ago in my case either but I caught the end of the era when the only reason you got a slap was if you tried to buy a round when it wasn't your turn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Tough times.

I'm glad to see nostalgia is still what it used to be though, in these parts.

Peter Michael's was a Galway institution, so much so even our current Poet President has sought to immortalise it in verse.

scholar007 wrote: »
    Mixtgreens?????? - Title is enough to turn off a lad who wants a feed! Sounds like a real poncey gaff........:confused:
    Too poncey a 'gaff' for you anyway!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

ladhrann wrote: »
    ...the era when the only reason you got a slap was if you tried to buy a round when it wasn't your turn.

Or if you were unlucky enough to grow up in an industrial school.

Ahh, the good old days.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement