Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

River inn

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Hadn't heard that Michael D poem before. Excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Pure Sound

JustMary wrote: »

Or if you were unlucky enough to grow up in an industrial school.

Ahh, the good old days.
    Will you let the lad be a bit nostalgic FFS

Tis a pity those pubs are closing, I'd imagine a few of them will open under new ownership, they have potential

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Mactard wrote: »
    The menus are identical in both mix(t)greens.

Untrue, there is a lot more on the menu in town.

The down stairs part in town has the same menu as newcastle but the upstairs has a totally different menu.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Seaneh wrote: »
    Untrue, there is a lot more on the menu in town.

The down stairs part in town has the same menu as newcastle but the upstairs has a totally different menu.

I'll have to check upstairs out in that case ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

I've just had a vague recollection.

Did "Peter Michael's" (or whatever it might have been called at the time) once have a reputation as a place where ladies of the evening might be encountered?

NOT referring to the business trading as the River Inn, I hasten to add. This was a long time ago, albeit in the same premises on Newcastle Road.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

You could have just rang them ??

Thank you for your insightful response.

The thought of ringing them did occur to me, but as I was reading this thread at the time, I figured it was just as handy to ask the question I asked while I was here.

Sometimes you'll get a quicker reply here than a phonecall will provide.

And its quicker to type in a simple question on a discussion board than it is to go looking for phone numbers to hotels that I just don't happen to have saved on the contact list of my phone.

Someday I may reach your levels of common sense and perfection, but in the meantime, I'll just keep posting questions on boards if I need an answer to something.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,151 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Lapin wrote: »
    Thank you for your insightful response.

The thought of ringing them did occur to me, but as I was reading this thread at the time, I figured it was just as handy to ask the question I asked while I was here.

Sometimes you'll get a quicker reply here than a phonecall will provide.

And its quicker to type in a simple question on a discussion board than it is to go looking for phone numbers to hotels that I just don't happen to have saved on the contact list of my phone.

Someday I may reach your levels of common sense and perfection, but in the meantime, I'll just keep posting questions on boards if I need an answer to something.

Cheers.
    I live in hope.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Does anyone have a link to this event? I could'nt find one when searching.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Iwannahurl wrote: »

Did "Peter Michael's" (or whatever it might have been called at the time) once have a reputation as a place where ladies of the evening might be encountered?

NOT referring to the business trading as the River Inn, I hasten to add. This was a long time ago, albeit in the same premises on Newcastle Road.

Yes. Pre 1990.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭ladhrann

Or if you were unlucky enough to grow up in an industrial school.

Ahh, the good old days.

Not my line I'm afraid, if you check back on the post I made.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Ahem. You just misquoted me now. Think there might be a glitch with Boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

I hear its reopening this weekend under new management

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Shanley

A lease has been already signed on the building, going to be a gastro pub, dont even know if they'll have bud hein smithwicks or carls, all I can say without spoiling

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭factual lies

All the years I drank in there I cant ever remember seeing a female in there, barr obviously the family members that worked there off and on.

I hear its reopening this weekend under new management

You heard wrong.

Shanley wrote: »
    A lease has been already signed on the building, going to be a gastro pub, dont even know if they'll have bud hein smithwicks or carls, all I can say without spoiling

I can guarantee they will only have one or two craft beer taps.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

You heard wrong.

wow thats a helpful and informative post :rolleyes:

It will be open in a few weeks.
    But as Shanley said, a lease has already been signed on the building.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

not at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Shanley

@Seaneh There will be at least four local craft brews surely? Wouldnt make sense for them not to?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

This is good news! Spotted a very welcome jeep outside the day it closed, could not have a better crowd take it over.

@Seaneh There will be at least four local craft brews surely? Wouldnt make sense for them not to?

Well yeah. The 3 for sure and probably the other usual candidate. But I doubt there will be much beyond that. Maybe some German beer in bottles. Eirdinger etc. Blue moon as an outside bet bit sure thats owned by Molsen-coors and brewed by the same people who brew Grolsch here so not really a craft beer at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Always room for more craft beer in pubs in Galway! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

New signs up in the window, things are moving along nicely! Looking forward to a quality local ale in my local! Wonder if they'll keep the name.

20120703_170300_1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,151 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Well yeah. The 3 for sure and probably the other usual candidate. But I doubt there will be much beyond that. Maybe some German beer in bottles. Eirdinger etc. Blue moon as an outside bet bit sure thats owned by Molsen-coors and brewed by the same people who brew Grolsch here so not really a craft beer at all.
    Ah so the folks who own The Oslo, Salt House etc so. Galway Bay Brewery being the craft beers. That cuts the mystery out of it anyway.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭coleria

How come they're not keeping the same staff?, maybe under a new general manager, but at least they'd get to keep their jobs and they already know how to run it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

coleria wrote: »
    How come they're not keeping the same staff?, maybe under a new general manager, but at least they'd get to keep their jobs and they already know how to run it.

Some might have moved on.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

coleria wrote: »
    ...they already know how to run it.

If it was being run at a profit, then I'd assume it would still be open.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭deisedude

If it was being run at a profit, then I'd assume it would still be open.

It was always packed and busy. Can't see how it would have been making a loss. I think it was the other business's owned by previous owners which were not profitable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

dont even know if they'll have bud hein smithwicks or carls

Thank god for that then... :cool:

Would love another decent craft beer pub in the area. Whatever about taps, here's hoping they have some decent bottles. The likes of Brew Dog, 8 Degrees, Monteith's, O'Hara's and Young's would be a welcome addition.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement