Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

River inn

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

It will have much the same selection as the cottage I'd imagine.

ie. Galway Bay Brewery stuff, Hooker and then the standards (guinness, heiniken etc) and maybe eirdinger/paulaner. Maybe a few bottles, Aspels, franziskaner, that sort of thing.

The cottage used to have more craft beers but scaled them back as they just didn't sell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

So long as there's a Bay Ale tap I'm happy. :)
    Seaneh wrote: »
    The cottage used to have more craft beers but scaled them back as they just didn't sell.

Well better having a selection of bottles than taps that aren't getting much flow. I'm sure if certain bottles proved v popular they'd get a tap.

Back open tonight :-D - still The River Inn. Not much changed inside, polished up a good bit and lost some TVs and dart boards.

Fine selection of beers on tap: Bay Ale, Stormy Port, Full Sail, Galway Hooker, Erdinger, Peroni, Grolsh, Fischer's, Becks, Guinness, Heiniken, Stowford Press (?)....

J o e wrote: »
    Back open tonight :-D - still The River Inn. Not much changed inside, polished up a good bit and lost some TVs and dart boards.

Fine selection of beers on tap: Bay Ale, Stormy Port, Full Sail, Galway Hooker, Erdinger, Peroni, Grolsh, Fischer's, Becks, Guinness, Heiniken, Stowford Press (?)....

Pretty much the same as The Cottage so?

Nothing really to get excited about there, Hooker and Stowford Press are probably the two stand outs, Peroni, Becks, Fischers AND Heiniken? Surprised they didn't throw Grolsch in too and finish the fizzy yellow swill quintet. Actually, that's harsh on Fischers, it's the best of a bad lot.

Eh, might want to reread my post, and excuse my typo.

It's a big step up for the River Inn, which is my local so I'm v happy with the new choice of quality brews.

• Advertisement

Eh, might want to reread my post, and excuse my typo.

It's a big step up for the River Inn, which is my local so I'm v happy with the new choice of quality brews.

I'd argue there's not much quality there to be honest.

Fischers is a decent pale lager.

Hooker is a good pale ale.

Stowford Press is a pretty good cider.

Stormy Port is an ok porter, at least it's an option for people who like dark beer but don't like Guinness.

The rest are either stuff you can get just about everywhere is just plain poor beers.

I mean, it's obviously more choice than the River Inn, and the food will probably be decent too, the lads have that side of the business sussed, and in fairness there know there is no point putting another Salt House/Against The Grain/Black Sheep/Brew Dock in newcastle, it wouldn't do well at all.

It's pretty much a transplanted version of The Cottage, which isn't a bad thing.

But those beers (besides the Hooker and the Galway Bay stuff) aren't craft beers, and besides Fischers, Hooker and the GB stuff, they are pretty generic mass produced pish.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

I think there might be a forum to discuss the quality of beers somewhere else on Boards Seaneh.
    Was the pub itself any good when you visited? And was the chef up to your standards?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

What is to become of the carvery loyalists to whom "moar is moar" when it comes to 3 hour boiled carrots and 5 ice cream scoops of mashed potato?

Robbo wrote: »
    What is to become of the carvery loyalists to whom "moar is moar" when it comes to 3 hour boiled carrots and 5 ice cream scoops of mashed potato?

The skeff isnt too far away.

I'd argue there's not much quality there to be honest.

Out of interest - what beers would you like to see added?

There's also a couple of fridges full of a range of bottled beers btw.

• Advertisement

Out of interest - what beers would you like to see added?

There's also a couple of fridges full of a range of bottled beers btw.

Where it is, it would be pointless to add more craft beers, they wouldnt sell, for where it is, the range is grand. I'd say a decent selection of beers in bottles (O'Hara's range, Anchor Steam and Porter, Seirra Nevada pale, torpedo, Odell IPA, Odell Red, Odell Cut Throat, etc) would make me more than happy.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing, I'm just saying that having 4 lagers isn't really choice, 3 of them are piss and one is still, for me, just a lager...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

Sad to see the Ale Brigade taking hold of Ireland

Yeah, pity people have taste buds...:rolleyes:

Yeah, pity people have taste buds...:rolleyes:
    Way to reinforce the stereotype...:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

I prefer the beers beer snobs drink, maybe this is what you are taking about? if so, excellent :pac:

Way to reinforce the stereotype...:rolleyes:

Well, pale lagers like Heiniken, Bud, Grolsch, Miller etc etc etc are brewed to be drank at almost 0 degrees C, they are brewed that way so you can taste as little of the beer as possible (fact, you cannot taste cold things anywhere near as much as you can war things). They are brewed that way because they taste like ass.
    They aren't designed to taste good, they are designed to be as close to no taste as possible. The swill you can buy is most pubs in Ireland is just that, swill. Guinness isn't a great beer, but it's a damned sight better than the other 4 taps in most bars and at least it has some taste (if not a while lot).

The reason people like Ales is the same reason people like good wine or good food. You can actually taste the ingredients, you can taste the malts used, tell of the barley was roasted (more bitter) what types of hops were used, when they were added to the brew, you can smell it all, you can actually appreciate it.

Drinking a pint of 99% of lagers brewed world wide, you might as well just add alcohol and food colouring to cold carbonated water.

Okay keep your sandals on! Didn't mean to hurt any feelings. Each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭beeintheknow

Buy you a pint Seaneh? I'd say you are great craic.

Excellent review of ale drinkers further down this page http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/10/1074

Buy you a pint Seaneh? I'd say you are great craic.

I'm lovely.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Excellent review of ale drinkers further down this page http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/10/1074

"Each to their own", right? :pac:

Mactard wrote: »
    "Each to their own", right? :pac:
    That's right. Do you need the phrase explained to you or is your username meant in good humour?

That's right. Do you need the phrase explained to you or is your username meant in good humour?

Did you drink one too many glasses of fizzy yellow swill today or something, grumy?

"Okay keep your sandals on! Didn't mean to hurt any feelings."

Don't forget to like each other's posts now. CAMRA Unite!
    typical_ale_drinker.jpg

Enjoy your girly beers :)

223246814_d4732de73c.jpg

Not a lager drinker myself but Red Stripe isn't actually too bad as they go.

Tis better than Bud and Hieniken anyway.

Lagers have their place at times, BBQ's and the like, where you don't want the flavour of a good beer over powering the taste of your food :pac:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Ahoy Casketeers!

I do like a good ale but I'd rather it wasn't treated as some kind of religion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭deisedude

Is that the Jamaican stuff? Got it in bottles before and I swear the after-taste was like vomit. Self confessed beer snob here myself so its not because I drink the likes of Heineken, Carlsberg.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement