Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

River inn

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭deisedude

Has anyone gone for grub in there since it re-opened? Is it the same type of food it had before?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

No the menu is similar to the Oslo. They've a lunch and evening menu, lunch 12-5 I think, and dinner 5-10. Menu looked good, but a bit expensive. Fish & Chips was the most expensive @ €13.50, although the F&C in the Oslo is the best in town. Most other main courses were €10. Meant to take a photo, forgot.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

deisedude wrote: »
    Has anyone gone for grub in there since it re-opened? Is it the same type of food it had before?

I haven't been there yet but I'd imagine it's the same type of food in the lad's other 5 bars that serve food, so wouldn't be very likely to be the same as before.

Probably very similar to The Cottage and The Oslo.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

If the food has changed, then bugger.

River Inn did a great carvery, and was priced keenly at €8 for a 'student' :pac: That added to the fact that they didn't charge for MiWadi made it a very hearty, affordable place for lunch

I'll miss the place and the old staff :(

No charge for MiWadi the other evening either btw, friend of mine had a glass.

Edit: The last time I went to the River Inn for the student option I got stung. We ordered, had our food, went to pay and took out the Student IDs. Told no, you need to tell them before you place your order. Full price.

• Advertisement

J o e wrote: »
    No charge for MiWadi the other evening either btw, friend of mine had a glass.

Edit: The last time I went to the River Inn for the student option I got stung. We ordered, had our food, went to pay and took out the Student IDs. Told no, you need to tell them before you place your order. Full price.

Yup, you tell them when you order. Lesson learned! (not that it matters anymore I guess) - I almost got stung the first time too, but kicked up a fuss and got the discount in the end.... and I continued to get the discount from that day on :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭45mhrc7evo1d3n

No the menu is similar to the Oslo...the F&C in the Oslo is the best in town.

Very interested to see this comment Joe after having a very disappointing experience ordering fish and chips in the Oslo this week. Ordered the daily fish special of hake in batter on the assumption that being a special it would be lovely and fresh. What I was served looked and tasted like Donegal Catch :(. It quite obviously wasn't hake either as the shape and colour looked like plaice. I know I should have complained but after a stressful day at work I just didn't have the energy. I am generally a fan of the Oslo though so I was disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,151 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Had food in the Oslo a couple of months back, ordered the Piri Piri Chicken Fillet Burger, not an ounce of Piri Piri on it or any other seasoning i.e salt and pepper either, really poor.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Had food in the Oslo a couple of months back, ordered the Piri Piri Chicken Fillet Burger, not an ounce of Piri Piri on it or any other seasoning i.e salt and pepper either, really poor.

I've gotten that there before, but with piri piri and plenty of flavour, it was yum. I'm sure they'd have sorted you out if you'd said something though.

A group of us got a bit of grub in there on Saturday, top notch. Here's a look at the evening menu;

river_inn_menu.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Know a couple who eat regularly in the River Inn, who had lunch there on Sunday. Said it was very poor and overpriced. Won't be going back.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

The fried chicken makes a triumphant return! If I hadn't already had lunch, I'd be over there like a shot.

Also, the lamb sliders in the Cottage.

Know a couple who eat regularly in the River Inn, who had lunch there on Sunday. Said it was very poor and overpriced. Won't be going back.

It's a very different menu to the old River Inn, it's unlikely to please the old regulars.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

A group of us got a bit of grub in there on Saturday, top notch. Here's a look at the evening menu;

river_inn_menu.jpg

looks like the typical run of the mill junk food

Yeah... because you can find all of those on the McDonald's and Burger King menues.

There aren't enough :rolleyes: in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭gandroid

In my (albeit limited) experience of the food in The Cottage and The Oslo, both are overpriced for what you get in terms of portion size and standard of food.

gandroid wrote: »
    In my (albeit limited) experience of the food in The Cottage and The Oslo, both are overpriced for what you get in terms of portion size and standard of food.

The food quality is fine but it can be pricey.

Go on a monday (oslo) or a tuesday (cottage) and 2 for 1.

Seaneh wrote: »
    Yeah... because you can find all of those on the McDonald's and Burger King menues.

There aren't enough :rolleyes: in the world.

burgers, battered fish and chips, sambas - wow, how original
    and yes, you can find the same in mcdonalds/burgerking
    junk

It's a bloody pub, what do you expect?

There are 3 Salads, one of which is a veggie option, there is another veggie option in the mains too, they have a green curry which despite the coconut milk is an extremely healthy option and they use the best quality meats available to them for the other dishes.

Their burger is even low fat ffs, they use round mince which is the least fatty of all beef cuts (I actually think it's a terrible idea as low fat content burgers tend to be ****e).

Everything to do is prepared in house.

It's damned good bar food. they don't claim it do be anything else.

It's a bloody pub, what do you expect?

There are 3 Salads, one of which is a veggie option, there is another veggie option in the mains too, they have a green curry which despite the coconut milk is an extremely healthy option and they use the best quality meats available to them for the other dishes.

Their burger is even low fat ffs, they use round mince which is the least fatty of all beef cuts (I actually think it's a terrible idea as low fat content burgers tend to be ****e).

Everything to do is prepared in house.

It's damned good bar food. they don't claim it do be anything else.

chill Seaneh - Im only saying its a regular run of the mill unhealthy menu, that's all. It wouldn't be a place I would venture into for a choice of meal, but others may think its fantastic - don't take it personally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭gandroid

The food quality is fine but it can be pricey.

Go on a monday (oslo) or a tuesday (cottage) and 2 for 1.

"In my experience", it wasn't. Just saying.

I'm aware of their 2 for 1 deals and yes that would definitely make it better value. I don't normally eat out on a Mon or Tues but maybe it's just the excuse to try to convince someone! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭beeintheknow

A beer snob who will eat anything at all. Complex cat is Seaneh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Bit harsh there fishy. Looks ok for pub grub. I've seen worse menus.

What are you expecting - A la Carte silver service ?

Bah, can't say i'll be in the new River Inn for food. I was a regular for the carvery dishes which were a bargain at 8euro and didn't clog the heart too much.

Can anyone advise where would be a good alternative? Feckin' nuisance now as the River Inn was such a convenient location for me

Mactard wrote: »
    I've gotten that there before, but with piri piri and plenty of flavour, it was yum. I'm sure they'd have sorted you out if you'd said something though.
    Ah yeah but i couldnt be bothered waiting another 10 or so minutes as i was starved that day, id give them a go again if i was out that way.

Junk food? Energy Salad, Duck Salad, Pasta, Steak!!!! Id hate to see how you would describe a Kebab.

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Bah, can't say i'll be in the new River Inn for food. I was a regular for the carvery dishes which were a bargain at 8euro and didn't clog the heart too much.

Can anyone advise where would be a good alternative? Feckin' nuisance now as the River Inn was such a convenient location for me
    Havent been for a long while but the Imperial did a great carvery a couple of years back.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

"Energy Salad" lol f***in' wut

"Energy Salad" lol f***in' wut
    Shtick to your take away rolls, you'll be grand.;)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

You're supposed to use tahini in hummus, not Lucozade.

And 13.50 for fish and chips? Bitch please!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement