Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

River inn

Options
1235»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Funnily enough, I ended up eating there today, had the buttermilk and taragon chicken and a portion of chips.

Same recipe as the Cottage for the chicken, which as anyone who's had it will tell you is the best fried chicken in Galway by a long way. Chips were really nice too, massive portion for €9.50, even came with a nice side salad for the chicken.

As far as pub food goes, it's good stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

I see "The River Inn" is no more - it's been renamed "The Scholars Rest". "Eat - Drink - Sleep"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

They should put in a "Post Natal Snug" with a picture of Colm Meaney on the wall

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

A certain complementary business to the old River Inn during the day is feeling the pinch since the changeover as there is a different type of punter going in and are thinking of moving.
    I can't see how they are going to keep a day and night trade going unless they are planning major student specials.
    Nothing against the lads. At least they helped bring proper beer to Galway but I hope they have thought this place out properly as it is very isolated for a GastroPub.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I'm sure there are a good many hospital visitors (a year round customer base) who are very grateful for the fact that they can get decent food instead of pub-grub-muck close by.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

JustMary wrote: »
    I'm sure there are a good many hospital visitors (a year round customer base) who are very grateful for the fact that they can get decent food instead of pub-grub-muck close by.

Not sure if you're saying all pub grub is muck, or specifically the old river inn's pub grub was muck?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Mactard wrote: »
    Not sure if you're saying all pub grub is muck, or specifically the old river inn's pub grub was muck?

especially considering they really are just serving pub grub... it's not a fancy menu or anything.

Decent food all the same.

Mactard wrote: »

In general.

I'd never tried River Inn's, but it always had that old pub food = "mash, brown-salty-gravy" look about.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

But that's what Galway is all about JustMary. I would prefer to eat my wedges off a plate than on top of three lairs of Vanilla Sticks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭deisedude

JustMary wrote: »
    In general.

I'd never tried River Inn's, but it always had that old pub food = "mash, brown-salty-gravy" look about.

To be fair, the pub grub in there was really good. Don't get why people are complaining about it. If you want something fancier go to a proper restaurant.

• Advertisement

But that's what Galway is all about JustMary. I would prefer to eat my wedges off a plate than on top of three lairs of Vanilla Sticks.

Sure 'n I thought we were a cosmopolitan trading port ....

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Gunner5

Does it still do Breakfast? and if yes any opinion on what its like?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

ScholarsRest have a new menu.
    Very jdwetherspoon-esque

• Registered Users Posts: 12,151 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

snubbleste wrote: »
    ScholarsRest have a new menu.
    Very jdwetherspoon-esque

How new? The one on their FB and on the GBB website looks the same as its always done.

How new? The one on their FB and on the GBB website looks the same as its always done.
    Link?

I just passed by and the sandwich board looks like this
    http://www.jdwetherspoon.ie/pdf/irish_menu.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 12,151 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

The menu has always looked like below.

http://www.galwaybaybrewery.com/menu/scholars-allday.pdf

Oh, then they must've only put it outside for the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Old thread lock.
    For anyone new - since 2012 River Inn has changed to Scholar's Rest.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement