Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2012 Cooking Club Week 25: Mars Bar Treats

Options
  • 20-06-2012 10:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭

Howdy doody cookeroonies! Apologies that this post is a couple of days early this week: my cousin from Australia is coming to visit tomorrow and I might not get time to post this then...what with all the squealing, jumping up and down and elbow-waggling we'll be doing to finally be reunited after twenty years. :)

These tasty little delights are based on the fabled Avoca Mars Bar squares/biscuits/treats. They are incredibly simple to make, but hugely delicious, and whenever I bring them anywhere I am inundated with texts the next day looking for the recipe. This is a tray of pure love. (Also a tray of heart attack.) So...enjoy. :)

2zgt0mb.jpg

Ingredients:

400g of Mars bars (I used 7 x 58g Mars bars from a multi-pack)
    250g Rice Krispie-type cereal
    200g butter
    1/4 tsp salt
    200g milk chocolate, for topping (I used Milka)

What to do:

1. Chop the Mars bars and the butter into cubes, and put into a heat-proof bowl over a pot of barely simmering water to melt. Try not to eat too many of the Mars bar chunks. Add the salt. Use a balloon whisk to help it all along.

apgs3n.jpg

ezo7ja.jpg

35ho2hh.jpg

At this point, the butter sometimes separates from the Mars bar mixture. Don't panic if this happens! Just use your electric whisk to emulsify the mixture for a couple of minutes, til it looks like this.

afbwq9.jpg

2hx5wx.jpg

2. Get your largest mixing bowl, and weigh out into it 250g of Rice Krispies. Pour in the Mars bar/butter mixture and combine with a metal spoon, turning until all the krispies are coated. This requires a little patience. You might think there isn't enough mixture at first...but trust me; there will be.

2nm11yc.jpg

3. Grease and line with parchment paper a rectangular baking dish. Leave a couple of inches of parchment up around the edges of the dish. I used my lasagna dish. Press the mixture into it, flattening with clean palms.

205a6tj.jpg

4. Melt the milk chocolate (90 seconds in the microwave did it for me) and spread over the top. Pop in the fridge to set.

2641jlw.jpg

5. Once set, remove from the dish by simply lifting the mixture out in one slab with the edges of the parchment. Cut into squares and share out to happy people to thunderous applause. :)

2hhouh2.jpg

34ermdu.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

Howdy doody cookeroonies!

Hi, hi, hi!

I'll be making these soon. Nyom!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Oh yum!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Aine21

Nom Nom Nom, there goes the diet!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

If you are extra fat like me, take the recipe above and add malteasers, some cut up mini mars bars, mini milky ways and chunks of twix bars while mixing with the rice krispies. Me and my sister make these using one of those Mars fun packs as well as a pack of regular mars bars :o

Health conscious people stick to the original recipe above, which looks delicious. You can tell yourself its healthy as you have not added the stuff I add :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

You are a god!! I regularly make a detour to buy these from avoca!!

Will definately be making these this weekend. Thanks OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Dinkie wrote: »
    You are a god!! I regularly make a detour to buy these from avoca!!

Will definately be making these this weekend. Thanks OP.

Post up a picture so we can all drool

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

If I make this I'll have to give up chocolate for the rest of 2012. :pac:

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

Oh my holy good jaysus. :eek:

I am all over these bad boys! NYOM!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

I made these these last week for my sons school cake sale.

I used the Lidl bella rom chocolate, it's great for cooking with, I used half milk chocolate and half white chocolate for the top in a marble effect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

Oh wow, my nan made these years ago and I never found out exactly, how she did it. I've attempted them and they've always been crap.
    Will try the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

I am so making this today!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

currently in the fridge :D

irishbird wrote: »
    currently in the fridge :D
    Mine too :D :P

These are delicious!!!

mars.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

599243_10150876703217687_273834001_n.jpg

these are delicious.

we had a dinner party last night and had them for dessert - they went down a storm :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

[IMG][/img]imag0054tj.jpg

Thanks - these were fab!

I halved the recipe as there are only 2 of us in the house.. and it still made 16 decent size squares!! Am all mars bar treated out, and am going to give the rest to my oh bring into work.

Sorry about the quality of the photo. It was taken with my phone.

Thanks again!

Ingredients are sitting on my counter :D

Faith wrote: »
    Ingredients are sitting on my counter :D
    Don't do it!!!! :eek:

They are TOO addictive :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

I made these today for a birthday party and they went down a storm.

Talk about going out on a high N-P! :)

Wow, N-P closed her account?! :eek: :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Faith wrote: »
    Wow, N-P closed her account?! :eek: :(
    I'm gonna miss reading her posts. :(

Ah, what? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I was talking with her earlier this week and she was having bother on the site, maybe that's why.

Hopefully she comes back to the cooking forum anyway!

All ye're pictures on this thread are driving me mad. I wanna make some..but have nobody to share with, can't be a good move :pac:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Oh... I might have to reconsider making yet another batch of caramel squares for the party this weekend but perhaps I should make a test batch first

Took the tray out of the fridge.
    Turned my back to reach for the knife.
    Impatient husband pounced and broke a big chunk out.

258.jpg

By the way, this batch made 18 laaaaaaaarge treats and costed me €7.43 in total.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

How long would these keep for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

How long would these keep for?

Ten minutes in my gaff I reckon!

Advertisement